Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

Why do some many people hate Montreal Airport?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why do some many people hate Montreal Airport?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2017, 12:02 pm
Original Poster

Question Why do some many people hate Montreal Airport?

Earlier in the year I was going to Montreal by plane for the first time.

Wanted to know what the airport is like so read the reviews online. Most were horrible - the signs are bad, everything is disorganized, huge lines, etc.

I was preparing for the worst. Instead, after landing at Trudeau International from LaGuardia in May I saw a very modern, spacious terminal, filled with light. The passport control (especially for the US and Canadian citizens) was organized nicely - you scan your passport in a machine, answer a few questions, print a ticket and head to the officer who asked a couple of questions and you were free to go. Everything was smooth. The main terminal is very clean and modern with 1 hour of free WiFi to boot.

On the way back it was just a smooth - quick TSA check, the terminal C dedicated to the US flights is large, lots of outlets to charge your phone, plenty of places to eat, a lot of seating for those who wait.

I traveled again 1 month later in June and had the same positive experience.

Was I just lucky both times or many travelers nowadays are so spoiled that unless it's Singapore or Dubai like lavish terminal they are disappointed?

I was especially confused by the repeated comment about the "confusing signs". What do you need need to find at the airport except departures, arrivals, car rentals, luggage, public transport and exit? All those signs were present.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 7:46 pm

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
Not sure where you read these reviews but I don't think they are representative of general opinion.

People here in Montréal complain about many, many things, and often with very good reason. But the airport is not one of them (except perhaps for the long-delayed rail link).
Old Jul 18, 2017, 8:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
It's not very well laid out.

If you fly certain domestic airlines (namely WS), you pretty much have to walk from one end of the terminal to the other to exit, and then have to back track partway downstairs to retrieve your bags.

Calgary airport is another of poor design.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 5:36 am

Programs: Air Canada P25K, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, MGM Gold
When you fly from smaller airports, you land at the far end of the airport, where there are practically no amenities (other than one kiosk selling packaged sandwiches and bad coffee). You have to walk for miles to catch a connecting flight (although, thankfully, there is a moving walkway). However, once you do make it to the main terminal, it is quite civilized. It's not a bad place to kill a few hours between flights (even without lounge access) since there are quite a few decent restaurants.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 7:43 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
YUL is miles ahead of LGA.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 7:59 am

I love YUL, it is vastly nicer than most airports I fly into. Free WIFI, clean, bright and spacious. Arrivals area is well designed. I never get the haters.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 12:34 pm

Programs: AC*SE/2.1MM, Flying Blue Explorer, BA Executive Club Blue, AAdvantage Basic, ANA MC
Originally Posted by Low Roller
When you fly from smaller airports, you land at the far end of the airport, where there are practically no amenities (other than one kiosk selling packaged sandwiches and bad coffee). You have to walk for miles to catch a connecting flight (although, thankfully, there is a moving walkway). However, once you do make it to the main terminal, it is quite civilized. It's not a bad place to kill a few hours between flights (even without lounge access) since there are quite a few decent restaurants.
80% of my air travel has me connecting to or from YQB in the Aeroquay section of YUL for onward travel. I don't think you have been there for some time as Six Pints Specialty Brewing co. has been open across from gate 34 for at least 18 months. It is a marked improvement from what was there before.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 1:21 pm

Programs: Air Canada P25K, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, MGM Gold
Originally Posted by NordsFan
80% of my air travel has me connecting to or from YQB in the Aeroquay section of YUL for onward travel. I don't think you have been there for some time as Six Pints Specialty Brewing co. has been open across from gate 34 for at least 18 months. It is a marked improvement from what was there before.
That's good to know. I was there a couple of months ago but it was a short connection early in the morning, so I guess I didn't notice it.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 5:18 am

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
three persistent issues

I have three ongoing issues with YUL:
1. The layout is poor (as others suggested). In particular, the walk from domestic to transborder cnx. area is very long, cluttered with storage;
2. If you must check a bag, the wait time (AC) for bags to arrive are +20 mn. I have spoken with AC about this problem, and been advised its because of the way the YULAA allocates belt space by carrier (AC is limited to 2);
3. The priority screening lines are poorly staffed. Specifically, the NEXUS lane is often closed at peak cnx. times i.e. when they are needed the most.
Personally, I am thrilled to know that you had a one-time positive experience! But I think it is inappropriate to dismiss the concerns of those who use YUL regularly. (BTW, I have addressed each concern with the YULAA and their response are disappointing to say the least.)
Old Jul 23, 2017, 8:39 am
Original Member

You guys have it good and not realize it. Maybe YUL is worst than other Canadian airports but to put things into perspective MIA baggage wait 40 minutes. LGA baggage wait 30 minutes. If you land at end gates at JFK T4 or T8, it's a good 10+ minute walk to get landside.
Old Jul 29, 2017, 5:57 am

I live in Montreal and fly to and from YUL every month. The biggest gripe, as airoli mentioned, is no direct rail link. I mainly fly international or intercontinental routes that connect through the US. Without Nexus the 5:00 AM US immigration lines can be daunting, but no more so than YYZ, ORD, IAH LAX, or EWR. After the morning rush, US immigration is a breeze. I can't speak to those flying domestically to smaller destinations such as YQB or YYG, but flying to major domestic markets such as YYZ or YVR is a cakewalk. Also the MLL lounges are never as crowded as the UC Lounges in most UA hubs. WiFi is free and fast, does not have a time limit, require watching an ad, scanning a passport and/or providing an SMS number. I have flown in and out of many an airport, and while YUL may not rank among the best on an international scale, given its market size, I don't see much to complain about.
Old Jul 29, 2017, 8:33 am
Original Member

The wifi also works for the most part when you on the aircraft and before pushback. Not many airports offer that.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 6:39 am

Programs: Skymiles Silver Medallion
I suspect a lot of the griping comes from infrequent flyers who haven't been to YUL in a while. The airport spent years under construction, and was pretty bad beforehand. These days it's much improved, though some aspects (parking, for instance) are still a mess.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.