Search

One way rental across Canada

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2017, 7:50 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
One way rental across Canada

Greetings all. Our daughter is moving from Victoria to Toronto and intends to rent a car and go on a road trip to get there. However, the one way rental car prices are astronomical. For a 12 day trip it's coming to around CAD 3,600.

I can see that Seattle-Buffalo one way is around US$1,700.

Does anyone know of a company that specializes in one-way rentals that might be a better bet in Canada?

Thanks
Old May 30, 2017, 8:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
It is what it is as the rental company needs to get the car back the original rental region either by hiring a driver or shipping the car.

You can look for services who hire drivers to drive cars one way. They were very popular with the snowbird crowd. but Victoria to Toronto is not a snowbird route.
Old May 30, 2017, 8:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tentseller
It is what it is as the rental company needs to get the car back the original rental region either by hiring a driver or shipping the car.

You can look for services who hire drivers to drive cars one way. They were very popular with the snowbird crowd. but Victoria to Toronto is not a snowbird route.
Thanks.

I would have thought that the larger rental car companies would be able to deal with a little movement in their stock without having to repatriate the vehicle but perhaps not.

The SEA-BUF option starts to look like a decent deal.
Old May 30, 2017, 8:51 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
Check Kayak.com. I just ran a test date (August 23 - September 5), and see an $899 rate through Budget for a Compact, or $1000 for a full-size car.
Old May 30, 2017, 8:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CanuckFlyHigh
Check Kayak.com. I just ran a test date (August 23 - September 5), and see an $899 rate through Budget for a Compact, or $1000 for a full-size car.
Yes that's true. Unfortunately all the low prices in that search (and the one that I tried on Kayak) use the firm Kemwel (you can see it listed there in the results). When we contacted Kemwel (kemwel.com) they said they would not honor that rate and would not permit such a long one-way rental.

If you click through you'll see that it's not bookable online and takes you to a Kemwel form to complete. It was the response from completing this form that indicated it wasn't doable through them.
Old May 30, 2017, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by golfmad
Greetings all. Our daughter is moving from Victoria to Toronto and intends to rent a car and go on a road trip to get there. However, the one way rental car prices are astronomical. For a 12 day trip it's coming to around CAD 3,600.

I can see that Seattle-Buffalo one way is around US$1,700.

Does anyone know of a company that specializes in one-way rentals that might be a better bet in Canada?

Thanks
Don't have to go all the way to Seattle: Try Budget's Bellingham, WA, off-airport location for a one-way to BUF. With the Entertainment Card or AARP discount and Budget's $25 off $175 online coupon, I'm getting $1,630 USD all-in.
Old May 30, 2017, 9:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by guv1976
Don't have to go all the way to Seattle: Try Budget's Bellingham, WA, off-airport location for a one-way to BUF. With the Entertainment Card or AARP discount and Budget's $25 off $175 online coupon, I'm getting $1,630 USD all-in.
Thank you. I'll take a look!
Old May 30, 2017, 8:47 pm

Programs: AC E75 / Marriott Titanium Elite
You may also want to confirm that unlimited mileage isn't limited to the adjoining provinces/states. Putting ~5000km on a car could become costly!
Old May 31, 2017, 2:13 pm
Original Poster

Thanks. I think the consensus is that she will go and buy a low cost vehicle (and some breakdown cover), use it for this trip and then sell it in Toronto. It should work out to be a lot more cost effective.
Old May 31, 2017, 5:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks. I think the consensus is that she will go and buy a low cost vehicle (and some breakdown cover), use it for this trip and then sell it in Toronto. It should work out to be a lot more cost effective.
That might not be a bad idea as used vehicles from BC sells at a premium due to less road salt exposure.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 7:09 am

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
This is a good idea - But FYI - If you want to transfer ownership on an out-of-province car in BC it has to go through an inspection, so it's a bit of bureaucratic red tape.

You may want to confirm the same applies to Ontario.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 7:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gglave
This is a good idea - But FYI - If you want to transfer ownership on an out-of-province car in BC it has to go through an inspection, so it's a bit of bureaucratic red tape.

Confirmation :

​​​​​​Yes, ON ownership transfer require clean air and safety inspection.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 9:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gglave

Originally Posted by tentseller
Confirmation :

​​​​​​Yes, ON ownership transfer require clean air and safety inspection.
Thanks for the responses, that's something to look forward to No doubt a fee or two required along the way.
Old Jun 3, 2017, 12:09 pm

Programs: AC E75 / Marriott Titanium Elite
If the roadtrip is important, then this is one way of doing it. Renting a UHaul is another option. By the sounds of it, an airline ticket and shipping her belongings is probably the cheapest way to go, particularly if she only has enough things that they'd fit in a car anyway.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 10:05 pm

Try National/Alamo or via http://www.carrentalsavers.com/ or costcotravel.com if member.
Should come out something like this Vancouver Sandman Hotel to YYZ FS Car 30 days, Unlimited KM's.
Chevrolet Malibu or similar, $1,009.20/ month, Subtotal taxes fees $358.93 Calculate Estimated Total $1,368.13
General price if cars availalble.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.