Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

Possible to Re-route Baggage at YVR past CBSA?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2017, 6:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: hahaha

TL;DR bolded question below if you wanna skip my rambling

Hi guys,

Long time lurker here, I work in a field and run a lifestyle where I'll likely never see myself get any status through my lifetime, but I really do enjoy reading your habits on FT (and even just daydreaming what a typical SE flyer would go through every day), so I just wanted to say thanks for all the fun you've been providing!

I booked my first X ticket recently. I live in Japan, and will relinquish my Japanese residency and return to my permanent home in Edmonton with this ticket.

The itinerary is PEK (vacation) -> YVR -> YEG -> YYZ (work).

I often fly from Asia to Edmonton, (though as recently as November 2016 so I'm not sure if Asian OSS or ITDQC has been implemented at YVR yet) so I'm well aware of the CBSA procedures at YVR.

But this ticket is special. I booked this ticket so that I could have a 6 hour layover in Edmonton, and spend time and dinner with my family before a week long conference in Toronto, since I haven't seen my family in a year.

I would like to give them gifts and unload my "moving abroad" baggage onto them before continuing for business in Toronto.

I would like to ask FT if the following is possible:

Arrive in Vancouver, clear CBSA primary, retrieve baggage, clear CBSA secondary if sent there, and proceed to Air Canada domestic connections at YVR (secure area).

Once at the desk, I'd like to ask the Air Canada rep if they could:
  • Send one bag to YEG, my layover
I will kindly insist that I am not throwing away my ticket, and will show them documentation of accommodations in Toronto and a return flight from YYZ -> YEG if they don't believe me and even beg them to consider the fact that I wouldn't have booked an X ticket to YYZ for no reason.. I'm just wondering if they have the power to allow me to retrieve TWO of my three bags at YEG, so that I could unload them on my family so that they could enjoy my souvenirs and gifts and perishable foods from Japan/China before I formally return home the week later. This method would also save me nearly $80 on baggage fees for my YYZ -> YEG return flight, which was booked on a separate ticket, and is subject to domestic baggage rules.

Thanks for hearing me ramble, but I'd like to get this out of the way so that I can plan how I can pack my bags (one bag for Toronto use, other bags solely for Edmonton use).

Thank you very much for your time and advice, I appreciate all your responses!

PS: have you guys tried CBSA's new app??? It's so slick!!
http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/new-neuf/app-eng.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.