Reload this Page >

Canadian Senators travel Air Canada business class between Ottawa and Toronto

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Canadian Senators travel Air Canada business class between Ottawa and Toronto

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2017, 10:59 pm

Programs: American Exec Plat, Hyatt Refugeeist, Marriot Gold, Air Canada Cattle Class, Korean Air Morning Plat
I read this as Ottawa Senators travel Air Canada Business Class between Ottawa and Toronto.

I was thinking to myself.........why are they flying regularly scheduled flights on game day and how did they fit 21 hockey players, the owner, the coachs and anyone else into business class on that airplane?

I had to google his name but I figure that Mike Duffy guy who was in the news all the time a few years ago would be one senator everyone in economy would be happy to see in business. Seats are tight enough............
Old May 9, 2017, 11:29 pm

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Titanium Elite, Accor Platinum, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer
My former MP used to fly Y fairly often on the YLW-YYZ-YOW route, often twice per week. He is one of those populist anti-elite types though, perhaps keen to avoid the optics of flying in luxury* on the public dime.

* there's that word again.
I find there are almost none of those types in actuality. Let's not forget the Reform Party candidates turned MPs who pledged not to accept a government pension, and then they became among some of the richest pension payouts on retirement.
Old May 10, 2017, 12:58 am

How is this a surprise?

Last edited by tcook052; May 10, 2017 at 6:36 am Reason: off topic
Old May 10, 2017, 1:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
If anything, the senators should have the Air Canada banana bread outlawed on the morning YYZYOWs. Tarred and feathered. Jabroni bread.
Old May 10, 2017, 4:28 am
Suspended

Programs: Enrich Sapphire. Kris Flyer Silver.Le Club Accorhotels,Starwood.
They are so brave to fly business class in this day and age. But they need the mileage.
Old May 10, 2017, 5:41 am

I thought this thread was going to be about AC Jetz and a hockey team, but then again, Toronto is a failed city with a failed team, so it couldn't have been.
Old May 10, 2017, 6:28 am
Suspended

Programs: Enrich Sapphire. Kris Flyer Silver.Le Club Accorhotels,Starwood.
Originally Posted by InTheAirGuy
I thought this thread was going to be about AC Jetz and a hockey team, but then again, Toronto is a failed city with a failed team, so it couldn't have been.
I know you are deep deep down, so jealous of us Toronto natives.

We know....we know...we rock.
Old May 10, 2017, 7:52 am

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
Originally Posted by Rundosrun
I find there are almost none of those types in actuality. Let's not forget the Reform Party candidates turned MPs who pledged not to accept a government pension, and then they became among some of the richest pension payouts on retirement.
And this guy is hardly different. Token gestures like four hours of supreme sacrifice in economy (preferred of course) mean little when one examines the various business dealings and self-enrichment schemes in which he enthusiastically participated.
Old May 10, 2017, 7:45 pm

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
If they are following policy, great, good for them! Nothing to see here.

If they are breaking policy then let's talk about it.
Old May 10, 2017, 8:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Let's talk about the policy.

Originally Posted by Sean Peever
If they are following policy, great, good for them! Nothing to see here.

If they are breaking policy then let's talk about it.
Why should unelected Senators be entitled to J when elected MP's have to slum it in Y for trips under three hours.

Maybe because they set their own rules, are unelected and hence unaccountable - albeit tone-deaf.
Old May 10, 2017, 8:29 pm

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
Originally Posted by The Lev
Why should unelected Senators be entitled to J when elected MP's have to slum it in Y for trips under three hours.

Maybe because they set their own rules, are unelected and hence unaccountable - albeit tone-deaf.
Sure! I'm all for talking about the policy! But in my opinion as long as they are following the policy they have done nothing wrong and don't deserve any criticism individually.

Now if the policy is correct or not, that's a whole different conversation....
Old May 10, 2017, 8:58 pm

Programs: AAexp, AC75k, HertzPC, NationalEE, Accor/MariottP, Hilton/HyattG
There are a lot more public servants(this is the correct term in my country not degrading) that have the whole J for 3+ hour flights. Some positions I don't even know why they get that at all, not saying that some line of work is bad but really? He gets 3 hour J doing that and some others don't doing this type of deal.
Old May 11, 2017, 12:54 am

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
Since this thread isn't *really* about AC, moved to the Canada forum.
Old May 15, 2017, 4:17 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
I have a friend who is a senior federal bureaucrat, based in Vancouver.

She travels around BC fairly regularly, but there is almost never travel budget to bring her to Ottawa to meet with the rest of her team.

All her travel is required to be Tango - As a result she has no status. Ditto with her peers in Ottawa. They all fly Tango.

(Obviously she's not an MP or Senator.)
Old May 15, 2017, 7:16 pm

Programs: Air Canada P25K, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, MGM Gold
Originally Posted by yyznomad
Well, they are entitled to their entitlements.
That's my all-time favourite political quote...over a decade old and still holds up

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.