EWR to YVR connecting in YYZ

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

EWR to YVR connecting in YYZ

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2017, 7:44 am
Original Poster

By the way, my return flight from YVR to EWR has a connection in YYC.

Will I have to go through US Customs Pre-clearance in YVR or in YYC.

Thank you again!
Old May 9, 2017, 7:46 am

Programs: Aeroplan, NEXUS
Originally Posted by Jericho-79
By the way, my return flight from YVR to EWR has a connection in YYC.

Will I have to go through US Customs Pre-clearance in YVR or in YYC.

Thank you again!
You will go through US CBP at YYC. Can you do FT'ers a favour and try to take photos if you go through OSS tomorrow? I have not transited at YYZ in a long time, and I would like to know what to look for the next time I go through CBSA. Cheers
Old May 9, 2017, 10:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by OSSYULYYZ
You will go through US CBP at YYC. Can you do FT'ers a favour and try to take photos if you go through OSS tomorrow? I have not transited at YYZ in a long time, and I would like to know what to look for the next time I go through CBSA.
I'll do my best. It will depend how much of a hurry I'll be in.

I land at YYZ close to 2 PM. I'd imagine OSS would be functional by that time.
Old May 29, 2017, 10:49 pm
Original Poster

I apologize greatly for being late in getting back to you guys. I've been immensely busy traveling for my company over the past few weeks.

My transition through YYZ earlier this month was pretty smooth. However, I did not get enough time to snap photos of my experiences as I made my way through YYZ. But I'll do my best to describe my movements.

When I deplaned from EWR-originating flight, I walked down the jet bridge and climbed up an escalator to an upper level. I then followed the "Connections" signs down a long concourse. I then hung a left and climbed down an escalator to get to the Customs & Immigration hall. There's a doorway for "US/Canadian Passports" and one for "Other Passports". I scanned my passport at one of the kiosks, and submitted my declaration card to one of the officers. I then went down another escalator to baggage claim. I exited the baggage claim area through a pair of automated double doors. I was then faced with two signs (one pointing left for "Connections" and one pointing forwards for "Arrivals"). I hung a left and walked down a long corridor to the baggage transfer area. I walked through the baggage transfer area and ended up in a hall with an elevator that took me to the D gates on the second floor. I walked down another corridor and hung another left to a security checkpoint beyond an automated doorway. After going through this checkpoint, I read the overhead screens to find out which D gate my connecting flight to YVR was flying out of. I turned out that my YVR-bound flight was departing from the other end of the terminal.

I must mention that when you're connecting out of YYZ, you MUST follow the "Connections/D Gate" signs that are visible at every turn. Plus, there are airport officials guiding you along the way. And some of these officials will scan your boarding pass before you can proceed further (like when I was about to go through the security checkpoint).

Thus, with all these twists and turns, I really did not have time to snap photos inside YYZ in order to document my journeys. When I reached the gate where my YVR-bound flight was departing, initial boarding had already commenced. I didn't even have time to use the washrooms.

Hope this helps you all.
Old May 30, 2017, 10:30 am

I apologize greatly for being late in getting back to you guys. I've been immensely busy traveling for my company over the past few weeks.

My transition through YYZ earlier this month was pretty smooth. However, I did not get enough time to snap photos of my experiences as I made my way through YYZ. But I'll do my best to describe my movements.

When I deplaned from EWR-originating flight, I walked down the jet bridge and climbed up an escalator to an upper level. I then followed the "Connections" signs down a long concourse. I then hung a left and climbed down an escalator to get to the Customs & Immigration hall. There's a doorway for "US/Canadian Passports" and one for "Other Passports". I scanned my passport at one of the kiosks, and submitted my declaration card to one of the officers. I then went down another escalator to baggage claim. I exited the baggage claim area through a pair of automated double doors. I was then faced with two signs (one pointing left for "Connections" and one pointing forwards for "Arrivals"). I hung a left and walked down a long corridor to the baggage transfer area. I walked through the baggage transfer area and ended up in a hall with an elevator that took me to the D gates on the second floor. I walked down another corridor and hung another left to a security checkpoint beyond an automated doorway. After going through this checkpoint, I read the overhead screens to find out which D gate my connecting flight to YVR was flying out of. I turned out that my YVR-bound flight was departing from the other end of the terminal.

I must mention that when you're connecting out of YYZ, you MUST follow the "Connections/D Gate" signs that are visible at every turn. Plus, there are airport officials guiding you along the way. And some of these officials will scan your boarding pass before you can proceed further (like when I was about to go through the security checkpoint).

Thus, with all these twists and turns, I really did not have time to snap photos inside YYZ in order to document my journeys. When I reached the gate where my YVR-bound flight was departing, initial boarding had already commenced. I didn't even have time to use the washrooms.

Hope this helps you all.
Thanks for the follow up. I have a LGA-YYZ-YVR flight Saturday morning, and am worried about the connection time in YYZ. Our flights are on AC so I believe we can avoid claiming bags, but going through customs and security sounds like it will be very tight even if our arriving flight is on time. GLad to know you could make it, but it doesn't sound easy for a first timer.
Old May 31, 2017, 6:18 am
Original Poster

By the way, my EWR-YYZ boarding pass read OSS. But it didn't seem like a one-stop security to me.

Originally Posted by ToddSpam
Thanks for the follow up. I have a LGA-YYZ-YVR flight Saturday morning, and am worried about the connection time in YYZ. Our flights are on AC so I believe we can avoid claiming bags, but going through customs and security sounds like it will be very tight even if our arriving flight is on time. GLad to know you could make it, but it doesn't sound easy for a first timer.
I had 90 minutes to reach my connecting flight to YVR. I had just made it after checking video monitors for the gate of my outbound flight.

I didn't have any problems with Customs & Immigration. I just scanned my passport at the kiosk, and submitted the receipt and my declaration card to a customs officer. No questions asked.

I spent quite a bit of time at the security checkpoint, though, because the officers took their dear sweet time examining my belongings through the X-ray machine.

Just remember these steps after you deplane in YYZ:

1) Go through Customs & Immigration (you'll have to climb up one escalator and then climb down another)

2) Go down to baggage claim and quickly exit baggage claim

3) Instead of entering the arrivals hall, head towards the baggage transfer area

4) After walking through the baggage transfer area, go up the elevator to the second floor

5) Walk down the elevated corridor and line up at the security checkpoint

6) Once you've cleared security, check the overhead monitors beyond the checkpoint and immediately proceed to your gate

If my personal account seems discombobulated, just remember to follow the "Connections" signs or the "D Gates" signs as you're making your way through YYZ. They're everywhere.

Plus, if both your inbound flight and outbound flight at YYZ are with AC, your checked bags should be checked all the way from LGA to YVR.

Safe travels!
Old May 31, 2017, 8:14 am

By the way, my EWR-YYZ boarding pass read OSS. But it didn't seem like a one-stop security to me.
No. That is not OSS. The automatic bag transfer is ITD which is a subset of OSS. Apparently, there should have been a US -> Canada sign by the International Connections desk to go through two customs agents checking declaration cards and then you would board a bus.

On an unrelated note: When you say kiosk, do you mean the new Primary Inspection Kiosks or the Automated Border Clearance Machines?
Old Jun 23, 2017, 6:09 am

your checked bags should be checked all the way from LGA to YVR.

We had a different experience which was much better, but we travelled Saturday morning and it could have been worse. The signage is not obvious.

OUr experience.

Exit the plane, walk a bit, up an escalator, then walk a looooooooooooooooong way.

Where I think it is easy to make mistake, because I almost did this, is that at one point there is a big overhead sign that says somethign like Gates ABCD and has a sign to the left. I started to go left, but my wife grabbed my arm and pointed to a small sign on the right side of the hallway just past the overhead sign that said somethign like Gate D or Domestic Flights. An AC agent was there checked, checked our tickets, and openend a gate for us to see 2 border agents that checked our declaration form and passport. Then down an escalator, to a bus, and transfer to D gate....no extra security, no big pick up.

I would have missed it, if it weren't for my wife. The agent was letting people come to her to check their tickets rather than announcing or asking walkers that they can avoid security.

So it went well for us, but it was a bit of luck or just having 2 people read signs instead of 1.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 8:08 am

Originally Posted by cavitron
Eventually you will have no option but to go here:
Name:  OSS.jpg
Views: 278
Size:  270.9 KB
If you look closely at through the glass, you see a Canadian Flag with the word Gates. I assume this is where I need to go, no?

Last edited by OSSYULYYZ; Jun 25, 2017 at 9:43 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.