Community
Wiki Posts
Search

eTA for PR, but not been resident for 50 years

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2017, 3:02 am
Original Poster

eTA for PR, but not been resident for 50 years

Hello, I wonder if anyone is in the same position as me? I am a British Citizen. I emigrated to Canada in 1965. I was there for 2 years and returned to the UK in 1965. I have travelled to Canada many times without any hassle of visa. I bought my plane tickets to go on holiday to Canada in June. I now need an eTA and have applied. I am having great difficulty getting one as I am classed as a Permanent Resident. I haven't lived in Canada for 50 years, but apparently still have my PR status. I have been denied an eTA so far and have been asked to renounce my PR status before I can get an eTA. This isn't a problem - but CIC are not at all helpful and after much to-ing & fro-ing with emails via my CIC account. They have withdrawn my application & I am in the process of re-applying. Has anyone else, in my position, had the same problems & if so - how do I get my eTA. I would appreciate any help. Thank you. confused!
Old Mar 27, 2017, 9:17 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Can you find and travel with your PR documentation?
Then no need for eTA.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 11:55 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I doubt it because PRs had to apply for a PR card some years back. OP obviously didn't so it's a problem at Canada's computer end. It's an interesting situation; I don't have an answer, but I'm following this with interest.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 8:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Welcome to Flyertalk RustieCustard.

As this is specific to travel to Canada, we'll move your post to our Canada [Destination] forum for greater exposure to those in the know.

~beckoa, co-moderator Information Desk
Old Apr 4, 2017, 9:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
It sounds like this has been a clusterflog for many PR Canadians. The policy was instituted without sufficient care and consideration. There are a number of threads aboot it in the Air Canada forum.

OP, maybe a personal visit to the Canadian High Commission would help if you are close to one. You might also consider whether you actually want to give up your status.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 9:27 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Canadian PR status is not automatically stripped if you leave the country and never come back.

If you were ever a PR, and have not either renounced that status or been stripped of it through a judicial process, you are still technically a PR. You may no longer be eligible to hold that status, but in Canada's book it's still there until you renounce it (more detail here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/newcomers/about-pr.asp). Therefore, you cannot get an eTA, effectively barring you from travelling to Canada by air.

It sounds like you are already in communication with CIC through the online portal. Have they sent you the Voluntary Renunciation of PR form?

I would suggest contacting the Canadian High Commission in London for assistance if you are having difficulties dealing directly with CIC.

If you need to travel more quickly than this can be resolved, your best option is to fly to the USA and then travel by land to Canada.

Last edited by eigenvector; Apr 4, 2017 at 9:39 pm
Old Apr 6, 2017, 1:43 am

Programs: Star Alliance - AC
My wife is in the exact same position.

Currently the renouncing of the PR will take 45 days. Our flight in in two weeks. She HAD a eTA after her PR card was no longer valid. However it was recently cancelled.

We tried to contact our embassy / consulate in Japan but they told us that Japan embassy does not deal with Canadian VISA. Please contact the Canadian Embassy in the Philippines.

However we can't get through.

Not sure what we can do.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.