Wiki Posts
Search

Traveling with infant to Canada

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2017, 3:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM; Hilton Diamond; Hertz Presidents Circle
Traveling with infant to Canada

A few questions that I am hoping that the group can help me with.

1. Does a 10 month old need a passport to travel to Canada. Flying from BHM to YYZ in August.

2. Does he need his own seat or can he be an infant in arms without his own boarding pass?
Old Mar 1, 2017, 4:17 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Moving thread to the FT Canada Forum
Obscure2k
Delta Moderator
Old Mar 1, 2017, 4:19 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
1) Passport book or passport card required.

2) Infant in arms is fine, but you will probably have to pay a partial fare for it. On other international flights, it's usually 10% of the adult fare — I'm not sure Canada is exactly the same though.
Old Mar 2, 2017, 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by jrkmsp
If flying, only a passport book is acceptable. If crossing by land or sea into Canada, then a birth certificate is acceptable as long as the infant is traveling with both parents listed on the birth certificate, unless a single parent has a notarized letter from the absent parent noting that they're ok with it. The airline won't let you board a flight into Canada unless your infant has a passport book.
Old Mar 3, 2017, 2:25 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting

2) Infant in arms is fine, but you will probably have to pay a partial fare for it. On other international flights, it's usually 10% of the adult fare — I'm not sure Canada is exactly the same though.
Passport card is not allowed for flying from the US to Canada. The US refuses to allow it to be used to fly out of the US.

Canada accepts US passport cards on arrival, but that is by surface transport. By air into Canada, Canada may or may not accept US passport cards on arrival; but they've refused to accept mine at Candian airports of entry while allowing me in using other evidence of identity and US citizenship.
Old Mar 6, 2017, 8:25 am

Programs: IHG RA; Avis First
EDITED: Thought it was BHX UK but it was actually BHM US.

Left what was relevant.

Also note to make travel easier if you're travelling alone without the other parent, it helps to have a consent letter. Its good to have, you'd rather have it than not need it and need it than not have it. This is a form for a Canadian child. My daughter's mom was asked about this and the immigration agent was surprised that she had it, the agent mentioned a lot of parents travelling alone are not prepared, though one thing the agent commented is that it would be good to have a copy of the other parents signature just to verify it. So then I gave a copy of my passport to show it. Just add to the other documents that needs to be carried.

https://travel.gc.ca/travelling/children/consent-letter

Last edited by BRAISKI; Mar 6, 2017 at 8:54 am
Old Mar 6, 2017, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by BRAISKI
If you and your child are not Canadian make sure you get the ETA.
The ETA isn't required of US citizens.
Old Mar 6, 2017, 8:36 am

Originally Posted by wrp96
The ETA isn't required of US citizens.
True but "assuming" OP is either a UK/EU or Canadian citizen.
Old Mar 6, 2017, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

True but "assuming" OP is either a UK/EU or Canadian citizen.
Well, considering the OP is inquiring about flying from a US airport to Canada, there is a possibility the OP or the baby is a US citizen. If they are a US citizen telling them that they if they aren't Canadian they have to get the ETA is bad advice. Even if they aren't a US citizen, if somebody else reads this thread and is a US citizen, then they need to know that.
Old Mar 6, 2017, 8:51 am

Well, considering the OP is inquiring about flying from a US airport to Canada, there is a possibility the OP or the baby is a US citizen. If they are a US citizen telling them that they if they aren't Canadian they have to get the ETA is bad advice. Even if they aren't a US citizen, if somebody else reads this thread and is a US citizen, then they need to know that.
Oh wow I stand corrected BHM vs BHX! Thought it was Birmingham UK!
Old Mar 6, 2017, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Oh wow I stand corrected BHM vs BHX! Thought it was Birmingham UK!
I had to check it twice to make sure I was getting the correct country myself.
Old Mar 6, 2017, 9:05 am

I had to check it twice to make sure I was getting the correct country myself.
As a Canadian with basic US Geography, didn't know there was a Birmingham in the US let alone with an Airport PLUS with a single letter difference for the airport code for a different country! Learnt something new today!
Old Mar 8, 2017, 6:59 am

Programs: AC E75 / Marriott Titanium Elite

If it's a US-Canada fare there should be no charge for the infant other than perhaps the taxes/fees depending on the airline. I recall traveling many times with my infants to the US from Canada on reward fares and paying some fees, not sure if all airlines apply that equally.

As noted above, you will need documents, a birth certificate like in the old days is no longer sufficient.
Old Mar 8, 2017, 7:30 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
This has been confused although OP did the right thing by using the IATA code for the home airport !

BHM is Birmingham, AL, USA. Presuming that OP is a USN and that the infant is OP's and also a USN, both OP and the child require are US Passport books.

It is incorrect to state that passport cards are acceptable. They are not acceptable for travel by air from the US under any circumstances.

No ETA, visa, or other documents required under above circumstances.

As to infant tickets, rather than blanket statements with no air carrier details, OP ought to check the specific air carrier website. Each carrier publishes the specific details for its infant travel ticket which in no circumstance exceeds 10% of the adult fare. But, again, check the website.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.