Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

Does my child qualify for Canadian citizenship? (I can't understand one of rules...)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Does my child qualify for Canadian citizenship? (I can't understand one of rules...)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2017, 7:29 pm
dtc
Original Poster

Programs: Restarting life as UA newb; AA Lifetime Gold

I tried reading http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/rules_2009.asp but I'm stumped at 2015 section with the "first generation" rule and the statement "to a parent who became a citizen on January 1, 1947". (I think there's a typo since usually they say "before" or "after")

Here's my scenario:
  • I'm a US citizen.
  • My wife is a Canadian citizen/passport holder, but originally born in Hong Kong, and currently living in the US
  • Our child was born in the US this year.

Does my child qualify?

Apologies if this should be in OMNI or some other area.
Old Feb 13, 2017, 8:37 pm

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
How did your wife receive her Canadian Citizenship? Was she naturalized or did she receive it thru her parents?

For example, my mother is Canadian and I was born in the US. When I was born, Canada didn't recognize citizenship thru the mother. That was changed in the 70's but not made retroactive until 2008 or so. While I am now considered a Canadian from birth, my children (if I had any) would not have any right to Canadian citizenship if they were born outside of Canada.

I wouldn't make an decisions based on anything here -- contact an attorney who knows Canadian citizenship law. It is a very complicated subject.

And I would like to find the immigration agent who gave me so much trouble when I was studying at the University of Waterloo and say to him "Hah! I really was Canadian all along"
Old Feb 14, 2017, 8:55 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
It depends on when your child was born and when you wife become a citizen.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizen...ules/index.asp

you were born outside Canada and at least one of your parents was naturalized in Canada before your birth,
Old Feb 22, 2017, 8:10 am

Programs: UA 50K, refugee from AC E50K, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by dtc
I tried reading http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/rules_2009.asp but I'm stumped at 2015 section with the "first generation" rule and the statement "to a parent who became a citizen on January 1, 1947". (I think there's a typo since usually they say "before" or "after").
This is actually correct. Prior to Jan 1 1947, people born in Canada were classified as British. The Canadian Citizenship Act of 1946 was the first time a "Canadian citizen" was codified as a separate legal entity. As such, the Act (when it became law on Jan 1 1947) reclassified a bunch of people from British to Canadian.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 8:11 am

Programs: UA 50K, refugee from AC E50K, Marriott Lifetime Plat
P.S. As for the citizenship possibilities for your child, I agree with others. Get a lawyer to get the real answer! Just think of it as yet another investment in your kid.
Old Feb 23, 2017, 7:35 am

Programs: FT
as RCyyz said, get a lawyer.

what might also complicate matters is to consider whether your child's child may or may not be entitled to be a citizen depending on the route they take to become a citizen given they were born outside of Canada.

i was screwed by Steve Harper's government on this one.

my child is a second class citizen given she was born outside of Canada and applied for citizenship directly. had we known that Steve Harper was at the same time we filled out the paper going to make her a second class citizen, we would have kept the original sponsorship application and had her become a PR first and then citizen later.

but Steve Harper screwed our child royally. thanks Steve.
Old Feb 23, 2017, 9:03 am
dtc
Original Poster

Oh is that the 2015 rule?
Old Feb 23, 2017, 11:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Slightly related question: are children who are born and raised in the USA with a Canadian father and American mother entitled to the same university benefits as Canadians, generally? Our former babysitter is the American in that situation.
Old Feb 23, 2017, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by dhuey
Slightly related question: are children who are born and raised in the USA with a Canadian father and American mother entitled to the same university benefits as Canadians, generally? Our former babysitter is the American in that situation.
By that, do you mean university education and fees? If she (or he) has Canadian citizenship, then the fees will be the lower one for Canadians (there does not appear to be in or out of province fees for Canadian citizens). If not, the higher fee appears to apply even for permanent residents.

In adjacent states and provinces, there used to be reciprocal agreement for tuition fees, so for example BC resident were entitled to WA instate resident fees and v-v. Not sure if these still exist.
Old Feb 23, 2017, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Yes; I have friends whose sons/daughters were raised overseas and came back to UBC to study.
(Quebec is one exception I believe, though I've never lived there so can't comment further.)
Old Feb 23, 2017, 1:34 pm

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
Originally Posted by RCyyz
This is actually correct. Prior to Jan 1 1947, people born in Canada were classified as British. The Canadian Citizenship Act of 1946 was the first time a "Canadian citizen" was codified as a separate legal entity. As such, the Act (when it became law on Jan 1 1947) reclassified a bunch of people from British to Canadian.
That came up when I establishing my Canadian citizenship. My mother was quite affronted to find out she was born a "British Subject" and not a Canadian citizen
Old Feb 23, 2017, 2:34 pm

Programs: FT
Originally Posted by dtc
Oh is that the 2015 rule?
no. my reference was from changes made in 2009.
Old Feb 23, 2017, 4:40 pm

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
Yes; I have friends whose sons/daughters were raised overseas and came back to UBC to study.
(Quebec is one exception I believe, though I've never lived there so can't comment further.)
Thanks. I was hoping that was the answer. It would be UBC for the kids. They don't have a lot of money, so this would be a huge benefit for the family.
Old Feb 23, 2017, 5:14 pm
dtc
Original Poster

Thanks. I was hoping that was the answer. It would be UBC for the kids. They don't have a lot of money, so this would be a huge benefit for the family.
What?? You don't think your child will be able to afford tuition of $118k per year?

[Based on historical growth over the last 20 years, that's what a year of my alma mater will cost when my child goes to college]
Old Feb 23, 2017, 5:30 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by dtc
What?? You don't think your child will be able to afford tuition of $118k per year?

[Based on historical growth over the last 20 years, that's what a year of my alma mater will cost when my child goes to college]
It's the former babysitter's kids that are being discussed. Maybe he didn't pay the babysitter enough, just the going market rate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.