Search

Federal Govt having talks on Air Passenger Bill of rights

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2017, 3:27 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AC E50 UA1k 2MM AA EXP Royal Ambassador SPG Platinum
Talking Federal Govt having talks on Air Passenger Bill of rights

Well here is what happened today in Ottawa, the minister is pushing for some passenger rights, we can only hope he copy paste the European legislation!

The speaker: The Honourable member for Trois-Rivieres.

Robert Aubin (NDP): Mr. Speaker, according to a recent report by the C.D. Howe Institute,
the federal government could talk it up to $16 billion if it decided to sell airports to private
investors. The airports of Calgary, Ottawa and Vancouver as well as Air Canada are
denouncing this privatization plan because the passengers and workers would be the first to
pay the price. If the government really cares about the interests of Canadians, it should
forget about the privatization bank and instead of trying to fund its cronies.

The speaker: The Honourable Minister of Transport.

Marc Garneau (LPC): Mr. Speaker, when we talk about airports, our first priority is service
to passengers. Whether it be in terms of cost, options, competitiveness, wait times for going
through security, when we talk about a passenger's bill of rights, when we explore different
options, you can be sure that our very first priority is service to passengers and that is what
it will always be
Old Feb 9, 2017, 3:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I don't see how anything you quoted supports the title of this thread.
Old Feb 9, 2017, 3:29 pm

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Totally misleading thread title.

ETA: Beaten to the punch by a cow.
Old Feb 9, 2017, 3:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Absent a direct link to Air Canada or Aeroplan this is a more general Canada forum topic and so it's been moved to that forum for further discussion.

tcook052
Air Canada forum moderator
Old Feb 9, 2017, 3:33 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AC E50 UA1k 2MM AA EXP Royal Ambassador SPG Platinum
November 3rd 2016

http://news.gc.ca/web/article-en.do?nid=1146789

here is the important part We want to achieve tangible improvements to the traveling experience.

But that’s not all. There were two other recurring themes in our discussions with travellers.

The first is a sense of frustration at the cost of air travel within Canada – and the litany of fees and charges.

And the second is confusion regarding a traveller’s rights and the extent to which consumers are protected when problems arise.

We are taking action to address both concerns.

In the months ahead, we will be introducing an Air Travellers Passenger Rights Regime – to ensure that Canadians’ rights are protected by rules that are both fair and clear.

The new Rights Regime will establish clear minimum requirements so that Canadians will know what their rights are and when they are eligible for compensation – an approach that takes lessons from what other countries are implementing.

Some of the measures we are looking at include compensation standards for passengers denied boarding due to factors within the carrier’s control, or in case of lost or damaged baggage.

This will create a more predictable and reasonable approach that will ensure that Canadians understand better what their rights are as they travel by air. This will be done in a balanced way that also ensures air carriers do not suffer undue burden and loss of competitiveness.
Old Feb 9, 2017, 7:51 pm

Programs: Skymiles Silver Medallion
Until there's something actually tabled, this is all pie-in-the-sky. C'mon, M. Garneau, show us the money.
Old Feb 10, 2017, 11:00 am
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I don't see how anything you quoted supports the title of this thread.
I changed the title. I hope it's more reflective of what took place. Feel free to hit the alert button when a title is not accurate.

l'etoile
sr moderator
Old Feb 10, 2017, 12:30 pm
Suspended

So, for some short term earnings they are willing to sell valuable properties. Do these "elected experts" ever learn?
I find their statement reg. passenger rights in combination with sales talk extremely cynical and utterly misleading.
Old May 16, 2017, 5:13 am

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
Exclamation update as at May 16, 2017

The GoC has promised to announce legislation today, to take effect in 2018.
I see two issues (prior to the details being released):
- the airlines are on board and AC has said it will not materially affect them;
- the legislation will embrace the WS rule i.e. compensation covers "controllable" delays. For example, WS claims that all YYZ cancellations are not in their control!
Old May 16, 2017, 9:27 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
Doesn't sound anywhere near as good as EU261

https://beta.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/new-passenger-bill-of-rights-spells-out-passenger-compensation-rules/article35004718/?ref=http://www.theglobeandmail.com&cmpid=rss1&click=sf_globe& service=mobile
Old Aug 30, 2017, 9:53 am

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
CTA hearingts

Today, the CTA started hearings into the fiasco at YOW on July 31 involving AT:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa...nway-1.4266849

The CTA rarely holds public hearings, so why now? And why pick AT? My guess is to show they have some power, in light of the announced passenger bill of rights.

An interesting aspect of the YOW hearings is they pit AT against the YOWAA, which said that they were not asked to provide gates to accommodate the passengers off the diverted AT flights.

Coincidentally, a former CTA official ran an Op Ed in The Citizen a few weeks ago, suggesting that Transport Canada already had the authority to deal with the AT situation.

Should be an interesting set of parliamentary committee hearings.....

Last edited by Antonio8069; Aug 30, 2017 at 9:54 am Reason: typo

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.