Recommendation for transportation option from Vancouver to Victoria

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2017, 11:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Hertz President Circle, Copaair Presidential, and Southwest A-List

Hi,

I plan on visiting Vancouver at the end of March/beginning of April for a couple of days. I plan on checking out Victoria and possibly Whistler while there.

How is the weather in Vancouver during this time? Also, I most likely will have a car. Is it possible to drive from Vancouver to Victoria? If not, what are possible options? Same question for Whistler.

Any input is much appreciated.

Thanks.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 12:00 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
There is a car ferry from Vancouver to Victoria. The crossing takes 1.5 hours and the ferry runs every two hours all day. A car with one passenger costs around $75 each way. Heading over to Victoria is definitely an all day activity.

Whistler is a straightforward drive on the recently upgraded Sea to Sky Highway. Allow two hours driving time. Check that you have winter tires as they are required on most BC highways outside Metro Vancouver until March 31.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 5:37 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

The weather in Vancouver tends to be cold, cloudy, and rainy in late March/early April. The temperature usually ranges from low 30 F to upper 40 F. If you drive up to Whistler, expect it to be colder. The good thing is that you can still ski/snowboard on Whistler and Blackcomb. I usually prefer to rent something with AWD if possible for that drive. There are some beautiful views, although be careful of possible landslides or falling rocks.

Now to get onto Vancouver Island, you will have to take BC Ferries if you plan to bring the car over. If you're coming from Whistler, you can take Horseshoe Bay over to Departure Bay in Nanaimo and drive down to Victoria. If you're coming from Vancouver, then Tsawwassen to Swartz Bay. Check BC Ferries for departure times and sometimes they get busy, which means waiting for a few hours. Reservations are definitely something to consider.

If you don't want to drive, you can just walk onto the ferry as well. You can also take a plane from YVR to YYJ. A faster option would be a float plane, which is pretty cool as long as you don't have too much luggage. Spectacular views over the strait.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 1:19 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
As others have said, BC Ferries operates large car ferries between Tsawwassen (south of Vancouver - pronounced suh-wassen) to Swartz Bay on Vancouver Island (North of Victoria).

http://www.bcferries.com/

Downtown vancouver to the Tsawwassen ferry terminal is about a 45-60 minute drive, Swartz Bay to Victoria is about 30 minutes.

The ferry crossing is about an hour-forty.

Reservations are recommended for peace-of-mind, but you can also just show up.

Route:

https://www.google.ca/maps/dir/Granv...way,+Delta,+BC

https://www.google.ca/maps/dir/Swart...,+Victoria,+BC

Old Jan 19, 2017, 11:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Hertz President Circle, Copaair Presidential, and Southwest A-List
Thanks for all the feedback. I guess the weather at this time is still cold. Perhaps I will consider going in June or July.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 12:22 pm

My prefer months to visit British Columbia is July or August when the average highs are usually in the 70s to 80s. Although I have experienced 90s up there before. But with the ocean, mountains, and trees...it's quite nice. I also like renting a convertible to drive the Sea-to-Sky highway up to Whistler.

If you go early to mid June, you may still be able to catch the cherry blossoms blooming.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 12:33 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
Victoria averages -

March:
High 53F
Low 40F

April:
High 58F
Low 42F

Source:

https://www.currentresults.com/Weath...th-average.php
Old Jan 20, 2017, 12:45 pm

If the OP is coming from Los Angeles, 50s as the average high is probably pretty cold for them. LOL
Old Jan 21, 2017, 2:58 pm

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
walk on ferry to Victoria

Originally Posted by hoangb
Thanks for all the feedback. I guess the weather at this time is still cold. Perhaps I will consider going in June or July.
Seriously, if you are on any kind of a budget at all, avoid these car ferries! The reservation fees alone are higher than most Washington State ferries.

I agree with the recommendation to rent a car for Whistler. The drive is fantastic, & added bonus - you get to check out the winter Olympic installations.

Victoria is another matter. Consider parking the rental at the ferry terminus and going over as a foot passenger. On the other side, you can catch a bus to the Empress for $2.50 CAD (today, that is like $2 US, but who knows what it will be in June once Trump takes over?)

Speaking of the iconic Empress, if you want to stay there, I suggest you book now. June/July is crazy with European/US tourists.

You can even take a float plane in from downtown Vancouver. Pricey but saves time......

For my last visit to the Empress, I drove to the Anacortes Penninusla and went as a walk on - 2 WS state ferries to Sydney via Friday Harbor. A lovely trip and the tix. are a lot less than on the BC ferries!

Last edited by Antonio8069; Jan 21, 2017 at 3:00 pm Reason: correction

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.