Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

Infant flying from Canada to USA without a passport.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2017, 4:56 pm
Original Poster

Is this possible? Official websites seem to say no, all people flying from a Canadian airport to the USA require a passport. In real life, will they turn away babies with a birth certificate in hand?

We have crossed the land border with birth certs many times and expected the same standard at the airport. This appears to be a mistake. Flight is tomorrow 9AM so a rush passport is not a likely scenario.

Am I screwed?
Old Jan 6, 2017, 5:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by ryanthekiwi
Is this possible? Official websites seem to say no, all people flying from a Canadian airport to the USA require a passport. In real life, will they turn away babies with a birth certificate in hand?

We have crossed the land border with birth certs many times and expected the same standard at the airport. This appears to be a mistake. Flight is tomorrow 9AM so a rush passport is not a likely scenario.

Am I screwed?

This is on the Canadian Government website

"We advise that all children carry a valid Canadian passport when travelling abroad, even to enter the United States by land or water. All children, including infants and newborns, need their own passport. Make sure you and/or the child also carry supporting identification, such as a birth certificate or Certificate of Canadian Citizenship, divorce papers, custody court orders or a death certificate (if one or both parents are deceased). These documents will help prove your citizenship, residency and custodial rights when returning to Canada. Check with the destination country’s embassy or consulate in Canada regarding additional documentation that may be required."

"All children under the age of 16 now receive ePassports that are valid for a maximum of five years."

https://travel.gc.ca/travelling/publ...-with-children

And

Passports for children

"All Canadian children, from newborns to age 16, require their own passport to travel. Children may only be issued a passport with a maximum validity of 5 years. A child’s passport remains valid until it reaches its expiry date, even after the child turns 16."

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/passport/child/
Old Jan 6, 2017, 5:15 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, AC 25k
go to passport office and see if there's anything they can do..

Am I screwed?
Old Jan 6, 2017, 5:17 pm

Programs: AC 35k

Am I screwed?
I needed them for my kids as infants even 9-10 years ago at airports. You might get lucky, but pretty easy way to smuggle a kid out of the country to be adopted internationally yeah? I would be surprised if allow you through.
Old Jan 6, 2017, 5:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by versace991
go to passport office and see if there's anything they can do..
OP wrote:

....Flight is tomorrow 9AM so a rush passport is not a likely scenario.....
Old Jan 6, 2017, 5:19 pm

Programs: AC E75K, WJ Gold, NEXUS, Marriott Gold
Passport offices usually close at 4:30. Even if he lives here in Van, he has 12 minutes or he's screwed.

AC's site says they require infant passports, and since he's going to the US, CBP will probably have an issue with an undocumented infant as well.
Old Jan 6, 2017, 5:22 pm
Formerly known as newbie elite

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Platinum, AC50K
Screwed. Road crossing border rules and air travel rules are different.
Old Jan 6, 2017, 5:25 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. Yes, I have also read the official stance of US Customs that a passport is required. However, in my personal experience there can be some flexibility. For example, I know of multiple occasions where friends/myself have crossed at the land crossing with no ID at all. It has been forgotten at home etc. Wondering if anyone has experience at the airport with this type of situation and if an exception is possible/likely?
Old Jan 6, 2017, 5:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
It's not happening with a flight.
Old Jan 6, 2017, 6:00 pm

Programs: AC:50K
Is this a Canadian baby or an American baby? My understanding is that while they may grumble, USCIS is not allowed to prevent an American from entering the USA, so the birth certificate might be all you need for that.

If it's a Canadian baby, I agree that the odds of getting onto a US-bound flight are low.
Old Jan 6, 2017, 7:21 pm
Original Poster

Canadian baby (actually babies, they're twins). We rebooked new flights out of Seattle instead. Hopefully Air Canada will be willing to facilitate some sort of refund or credit for the original flight. I guess that's a whole new conversation. Any tips for that process?
Old Jan 6, 2017, 8:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
As this more an immigration problem than an airline matter it's been relocated to the Canada forum.

regards,

tcook052
Air Canada forum moderator
Old Jan 21, 2017, 2:34 am

Programs: AAexp, AC75k, HertzPC, NationalEE, Accor/MariottP, Hilton/HyattG
Canadian baby (actually babies, they're twins). We rebooked new flights out of Seattle instead. Hopefully Air Canada will be willing to facilitate some sort of refund or credit for the original flight. I guess that's a whole new conversation. Any tips for that process?
Not sure what ended up happening but there is a 0% chance AC will give you anything back, as it wasn't their fault
Old Feb 23, 2017, 12:06 am

Am I screwed?
Any updates, To my knowledge you are not eligible to fly without a valid passport.
At the same time, you can cross the road with other valid documents.
Please share your experience that will is useful for other members.
Old Feb 23, 2017, 12:07 am

Originally Posted by tcook052
As this more an immigration problem than an airline matter it's been relocated to the Canada forum.

regards,

tcook052
Air Canada forum moderator
Hi, can I ask Migration related matters on this board?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.