Reload this Page >

Canadian Air Passenger Bill of Rights

Canadian Air Passenger Bill of Rights

Old Nov 3, 2016, 6:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC, Bonvoy, HH
A passenger bill of rights for Canada

Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
Canada remains one of the few jurisdictions in the developed world where airline passengers have limited consumer rights and protections.
Not for much longer apparently.

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/ca...for-passengers

Garneau will introduce what he is calling the “Air Travellers Passenger Rights Regime” — a series of rules for both carriers and passengers that will govern situations when, for example, luggage is lost or a passenger cannot board an aircraft.
Old Nov 3, 2016, 10:53 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
Originally Posted by laidback71
I'm in favor of a policy, but I don't think it will be a one way street for pax. There maybe some neg. benefits for pax too.
Old Nov 3, 2016, 11:26 am

Programs: Skymiles Silver Medallion
Originally Posted by Wpgjetse
I'm in favor of a policy, but I don't think it will be a one way street for pax. There maybe some neg. benefits for pax too.
The most likely negatives I can foresee would be from a bill of rights that only ends up being a half measure, i.e. one that doesn't address or include a lot of issues and scenarios. If the government does this but only does it half assed, we won't necessarily be worse off than before, but we may not be as better off as we'd hoped.

I'd say now's the time for everyone to start emailing Marc Garneau and their local MP to raise issues, suggestions and concerns. It's obviously a priority for the Transport Ministry.
Old Nov 3, 2016, 11:36 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by segacs
The most likely negatives I can foresee would be from a bill of rights that only ends up being a half measure, i.e. one that doesn't address or include a lot of issues and scenarios. If the government does this but only does it half assed, we won't necessarily be worse off than before, but we may not be as better off as we'd hoped.

I'd say now's the time for everyone to start emailing Marc Garneau and their local MP to raise issues, suggestions and concerns. It's obviously a priority for the Transport Ministry.
Does any government in the world get things fully done? I don't see the bill of rights help that much. The best thing I see from a Bill of Rights will be that everything should now be defined. Plus, winter/Summer weather play such a great roll in our country because of Canada's layout causes a lot of problem for air travel.
Old Nov 3, 2016, 11:41 am

What is a negative benefit for pax?

How do you apply it when the starting point is zero?
Old Nov 3, 2016, 12:00 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by yulred
What is a negative benefit for pax?

How do you apply it when the starting point is zero?
We are no where close to zero. Canadian airlines have been compensating pax for years now(some pax more than others).

Pos. Neg Benefits

Weather Delays definition- I have always been compensated for weather
delay by AC(hotels/Meals/Etc). In Europe, I have
not.
24 hour Cancel policy
Cash return policy - Maybe just airline credit only
All booking must be paid at time of booking
Definition of what required compensation. Less grey areas where compensation would be paid out.
Old Nov 3, 2016, 12:23 pm

We are no where close to zero. Canadian airlines have been compensating pax for years now(some pax more than others).

Pos. Neg Benefits

not.
24 hour Cancel policy
Definition of what required compensation. Less grey areas where compensation would be paid out.
So basically your argument is that a pax bill of rights might be a bad thing because you wouldn't necessarily get better benefits than everyone else? No-status economy passengers might get access to some of the benefits through clearly delineated processes, versus your current method of DYKWIA?

I wouldn't worry if I were you. As an SE, AC will still find ways to make you feel valued. That will continue to be true even if Joe Q Economy gets some rights. Your rights aren't being taken away just because theirs are being expanded.

(This is every political argument, ever.)
Old Nov 3, 2016, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So basically your argument is that a pax bill of rights might be a bad thing because you wouldn't necessarily get better benefits than everyone else? No-status economy passengers might get access to some of the benefits through clearly delineated processes, versus your current method of DYKWIA?

I wouldn't worry if I were you. As an SE, AC will still find ways to make you feel valued. That will continue to be true even if Joe Q Economy gets some rights. Your rights aren't being taken away just because theirs are being expanded.

Actually, if you look at the EU thing, it appears more or less the opposite happens. Mom and pop remain unaware of their rights and it is the FFs who most benefit.

For better or worse...
Old Nov 3, 2016, 12:37 pm

Pos. Neg Benefits

not.
24 hour Cancel policy
I don't follow.

AC policy on weather delays: For circumstances outside Air Canada's control - If your flight has been rescheduled to depart the next day, Air Canada representatives will provide you with hotel contact information where you can obtain valued customer rates.

Presumably you're upset that AC will take away "valued customer rates"? Or do you think they'll take away the SE-specific goodwill gestures that don't apply to the vast majority of pax? (In which case, you might want to find a new FF program).

- 24 hour cancel policy - not sure if that's regulated or not (OTAs don't always allow it) but I can't see regulators banning it. Perhaps they'll allow AC to not have that policy and bring it in line with Expedia et al. Can't see the foreign competition getting rid of it.

- paying at the time of booking? Isn't that the new normal in the age of OTAs. Even my TA has a disclaimer saying the fare isn't guaranteed until it's booked. I can't see this affecting the vast majority of travellers.

- AC doesn't pay compensation in grey areas. It makes it clear that no compensation is due, and that anything provided is a goodwill gesture ($500 for a $5000 non-reclining seat on SYD-YVR). I can't see those types of 'gestures' going away because of a new regime. I'm sure they'll keep handing out 5-10% goodwill discount codes for 'grey areas'.

It'll be interesting to see how they deal with PY->Y downgrades. Definitely starting at zero there.
Old Nov 3, 2016, 12:41 pm
Suspended

No, I do not think a Bill of Rights is a bad thing. I just saying it will not just be a one way street.
Old Nov 3, 2016, 12:44 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by yulred
I don't follow.

AC policy on weather delays: For circumstances outside Air Canada's control - If your flight has been rescheduled to depart the next day, Air Canada representatives will provide you with hotel contact information where you can obtain valued customer rates.

Presumably you're upset that AC will take away "valued customer rates"? Or do you think they'll take away the SE-specific goodwill gestures that don't apply to the vast majority of pax? (In which case, you might want to find a new FF program).

- 24 hour cancel policy - not sure if that's regulated or not (OTAs don't always allow it) but I can't see regulators banning it. Perhaps they'll allow AC to not have that policy and bring it in line with Expedia et al. Can't see the foreign competition getting rid of it.

- paying at the time of booking? Isn't that the new normal in the age of OTAs. Even my TA has a disclaimer saying the fare isn't guaranteed until it's booked. I can't see this affecting the vast majority of travellers.

- AC doesn't pay compensation in grey areas. It makes it clear that no compensation is due, and that anything provided is a goodwill gesture ($500 for a $5000 non-reclining seat on SYD-YVR). I can't see those types of 'gestures' going away because of a new regime. I'm sure they'll keep handing out 5-10% goodwill discount codes for 'grey areas'.

It'll be interesting to see how they deal with PY->Y downgrades. Definitely starting at zero there.
Sorry, I'm a glass 1/2 full guy, were you are always thinking the glasses is 1/2 empty.
Old Nov 3, 2016, 12:44 pm

No, I do not think a Bill of Rights is a bad thing. I just saying it will not just be a one way street.
Right now we have zero. So anything will be better than zero.
Old Nov 3, 2016, 12:50 pm

Very correct.

The airline-passenger relationship is currently a one-way street in the airline's favor.

The Bill of Rights is aimed at correcting that. Indeed, the one-way nature of the relationship is the prime motivator behind this new regime.
Old Nov 3, 2016, 12:51 pm
Suspended

Right now we have zero. So anything will be better than zero.
Why do we have zero? If a flight is over sold, don't airline's in Canada offer compensation? The $ amount may not be to your liking, but they do compensate pax, so we are not at zero. Last winter, my flight from FRA was delayed 8 hours, AC gave hotel vouchers to all connecting pax. What would you call this?
Old Nov 3, 2016, 12:54 pm

Sorry, I'm a glass 1/2 full guy, were you are always thinking the glasses is 1/2 empty.
No, in this case, I'm a glass is empty guy.

The regime is being put in place because passenger rights aren't being respected.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.