Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Calgary for a day

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2017, 10:46 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Westjet, Marriott, Nexus
Originally Posted by 764toHI
Thank you for the recommendation, so will it be more cost effective to Uber downtown and pick up the rental car in the evening when my friend arrives? I'm not sure what parking and Uber/Lyft costs in Calgary.
Parking is a hassle downtown and it can be quite expensive during the day! I would definitely take Uber or the (sort of)* express bus to get back and forth from the airport. I'm not sure about Uber prices but the bus has a $10 day pass.

*The bus doesn't take the most direct route so it will probably take 45-60 minutes.
Old Jul 14, 2017, 2:42 pm

Car2Go is also available at the Calgary Airport. https://www.car2go.com/CA/en/calgary/airport/

Car2Go vehicle park for free on city streets. (Just make sure to not park in a Rush hour tow away zone.)

Cheapest would be Calgary Transit route 300 which for $10 includes an all day transit pass.
https://www.calgarytransit.com/sched...service-routes

Last edited by cgyroof; Jul 14, 2017 at 2:47 pm
Old Jul 14, 2017, 10:47 pm

If you decide to go around the city without a car, like I do, there's the C-train which runs free along downtown. Beyond that you pay 3.25 (single ride valid for 90 mins) for adults. You can pay with cash/card on trains which you can purchase from the ticketing machine before you get on board. Buses on the other hand only accept prepaid tickets like passes, transfer tix or exact change.

There's currently a bus service running between Calgary and Banff which is available on weekends and holidays until September. This costs $10 one-way. As for transportation to/from the airport, sadly YYC isn't link to the train, yet (probably not until the next 100 years). however, there are express buses (BRT) which makes a few stops along the way. It probably takes about an hour between YYC to downtown this way. Another alternative is to take a shared-shuttle service like Calgary Allied Airport Shuttle Service. They charge $15 one-way from the airport and $10 going to. Pick up/drop off points are at most hotels in downtown. I happen to live just right across from a hotel so every time I need to get to the airport I just phone them to book. Taxis are plentiful, UBER as well, but expect to pay ~$30-40 plus tip.

edit: YYC-Banff bus service - http://onitregionaltransit.ca/banff-tickets/

Last edited by zoqfotpik; Jul 14, 2017 at 10:54 pm Reason: added link
Old Jul 18, 2017, 5:28 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by zoqfotpik
If you decide to go around the city without a car, like I do, there's the C-train which runs free along downtown. Beyond that you pay 3.25 (single ride valid for 90 mins) for adults. You can pay with cash/card on trains which you can purchase from the ticketing machine before you get on board. Buses on the other hand only accept prepaid tickets like passes, transfer tix or exact change.

There's currently a bus service running between Calgary and Banff which is available on weekends and holidays until September. This costs $10 one-way. As for transportation to/from the airport, sadly YYC isn't link to the train, yet (probably not until the next 100 years). however, there are express buses (BRT) which makes a few stops along the way. It probably takes about an hour between YYC to downtown this way. Another alternative is to take a shared-shuttle service like Calgary Allied Airport Shuttle Service. They charge $15 one-way from the airport and $10 going to. Pick up/drop off points are at most hotels in downtown. I happen to live just right across from a hotel so every time I need to get to the airport I just phone them to book. Taxis are plentiful, UBER as well, but expect to pay ~$30-40 plus tip.

edit: YYC-Banff bus service - http://onitregionaltransit.ca/banff-tickets/
The C-Train is very convenient in downtown. Unless you're staying in Hotel Village (over by Stampeders Stadium) I found it less useful outside of downtown area.

It would be nice if it made it to 17th St SW, which would have been very handy for going out in Calgary.

Also watch out for traffic to YYC airport. Its not terribly bad, but its usually much worse going to the airport than from it. Basically, the freeway to the airport has a lane ending on an upward slope a couple of km before the airport exit. Always causes backups.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 5:24 am

Programs: AC*SE, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
You might also consider picking up your rental downtown instead of the airport which depending on how long you're staying could save a hefty "premium location" surcharge.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.