Quebec City, Montreal trip

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2016, 7:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Delta Plat, Marriott Plat,Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat

Planning a trip early June. Want to do F1 race in Montreal June 11(not set in stone yet but very likely). Also will be in Boston weekend before so I thought easy transition to QC then Montreal.

Planning Jet Blue Mint LAX to BOS and leave Sunday night to QC. I was surprised when I first looked there are no direct options. I'm assuming flying makes the most sense, not train travel, but given the layovers......best options?

Looking at drive times QC to Montreal I think I'll drive or train. Appreciate thought and times doing that. Thought might be a beautiful drive or train ride but don't know the area.

Return night of 11th or 12th. Love to use Skymiles but a lot of options exist, have all currencies built up. Back to LAX or SBA(thinking PHX direct YUL TO PHX)

Hotels. I currently have Boston Ritz Carlton for big money(not much availability due to some convention, not mine, and Liberty Hotel on spg points(not preferred). Off topic a bit but suggestions on nice experience, maybe smaller property....

On topic. Frontenac QC Fairmont. Always looks wonderful. Lots of experience with Chateau Whistler and Empress and loved them but a long time ago. Best option. This is where I want to get the best experience.

Montreal. With F1 in town options limited. Westin downtown available but expensive. Maybe some options out of town? Might look at Airbnb options too.
Old Oct 13, 2016, 8:57 pm

Programs: A3*G, Fairmont Pl, Accor Pl, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Amex Platinum
There are no good options for flying from Montreal to Boston but flying is better than the train which has even worse options.

Train or Drive to Quebec City from Montreal are both good options. Neither is beautiful though.

In Quebec - only two places to stay - Fairmont Frontenac (recent reno has really made it great) - its AMEX FHR - so look at that booking option if its available to you. Weekend Buffet at the Champlain is to die for.

The other place is Auberge St Antoine - Relais & Chateaux. its also AMEX FHR and Visa Infinite Collection I think. Smaller than the Fairmont and way more personal service - but the historocity of the place has been nerfed with the new renovation - so if you like feeling history - the Frontenac is better.

In Montreal - the Fairmont is closed for renovations but due to re-open June 2017 - so I would not count on it. The Ritz in Montreal is great. We have had tremendous service there. Now only ~20,000 Starwood points with the conversion ratio of 3:1. I wouldn't stay out of town - traffic in Montreal is terrible at the best of times and during the summer and F1 you might as well walk around rather than try to drive. Try to stay as close to the action as you can. The Hyatt is located at Ground Zero - but its nothing special. Just rooms. Courtyard Marriott downtown may actually surprise you as well.
Old Oct 13, 2016, 9:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Jonesdds
Looking at drive times QC to Montreal I think I'll drive or train. Appreciate thought and times doing that. Thought might be a beautiful drive or train ride but don't know the area.
The drive from Québec to Montréal is boring, flat and not scenic at all.
On the other hand, the drive from Boston to Montréal, via NH and VT, is quite scenic most of the way.

With F1 in town options limited. Westin downtown available but expensive. Maybe some options out of town? Might look at Airbnb options too.
I would not recommend staying out of the downtown core. Downtown is where the action is and the 'burbs are boring (I lived in both places). Traffic, bad at the best of times, will be horrific next June as the major freeway to/from the core (720) is closing for a year for reconstruction. I would suck it up and get a hotel/motel/Airbnb in the downtown core close to all the festivities, or as close to Crescent St. as possible.
Old Oct 13, 2016, 10:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by codesinvan
There are no good options for flying from Montreal to Boston but flying is better than the train which has even worse options.
At least there is a non-stop flight between YUL and BOS. Sure, AC uses an Y-only regional aircraft on this route, but it's only a 1h flight.

In Quebec - only two places to stay - Fairmont Frontenac (recent reno has really made it great) - its AMEX FHR - so look at that booking option if its available to you. Weekend Buffet at the Champlain is to die for.

The other place is Auberge St Antoine - Relais & Chateaux. its also AMEX FHR and Visa Infinite Collection I think. Smaller than the Fairmont and way more personal service - but the historocity of the place has been nerfed with the new renovation - so if you like feeling history - the Frontenac is better.
Fully agree, the newly renovated rooms at the Frontenac are very nice. If one wants to experience more personalized service, I suggest booking a room on the Gold floor.

In Montreal - the Fairmont is closed for renovations but due to re-open June 2017 - so I would not count on it.
Last update I heard was that the Fairmont will open *sometime* in June 2017. I too wouldn't necessarily count on it being open in time for the F1 race.
Old Oct 14, 2016, 6:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Delta Plat, Marriott Plat,Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat
Went ahead and booked the Westin on points, 16k per night or about $450 US so points make sense. Just wanted to get something reserved. I'm assuming a nicer property probably will have a large night minimum, none of the better SPG properties showed online availability. I want three max so that might be an issue
Old Oct 17, 2016, 9:07 am

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
I've recently discovered that there are cheap flights on the BOS-PBG route (Pen Air codesharing with AS). You could always do that, get a rental car, drive it to Québec and Montréal and return from PBG (or maybe BTV).
Old Oct 25, 2016, 6:55 pm
Original Poster

I'm considering my trip in reverse. Maybe Montreal a few nights, the QC 4 then Boston 4. I'm wondering if I'd be able to do a 2-3 layover in Montreal or maybe Toronto, then on to QC, on same ticket. Aeroplan miles, maybe United or other. Want to minimize segments where possible..
Old Oct 25, 2016, 6:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
I'm considering my trip in reverse. Maybe Montreal a few nights, the QC 4 then Boston 4. I'm wondering if I'd be able to do a 2-3 layover in Montreal or maybe Toronto, then on to QC, on same ticket. Aeroplan miles, maybe United or other. Want to minimize segments where possible..
Yes, you can include two stopovers in addition to your destination when booking an Aeroplan award.
Old Oct 27, 2016, 11:34 pm
Original Poster

Now that I think I've figured out Quebec City and the Frontenac I'm also needing a hotel in Montreal. I decided not to be there F1 weekend which should really open up my options, going to instead take a red eye from LAX and stay a couple nights then on the QC.

Ritz Carlton high on my list always. Seems in Montreal to be an historic property and small. I also don't see club floor options maybe they don't have one? I'm open to other suggestions, this is the type of property I'm looking for and location is key. Old town areas I'd assume best, want to be able to walk places, sightseeing, good restaurants. Fairmont is closed so not an option. Smaller boutique hotels that are five star I would also consider. What are some good options?

Restaurant recommendations appreciated as well!

Last edited by Jonesdds; Oct 29, 2016 at 10:42 am Reason: Was out of sequence so changed post
Old Oct 30, 2016, 11:12 am
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
Ritz Carlton is currently the best hotel in Montreal.... summer 2017 promo will be 3rd night at 50% of the normal rate. Other 4 star boutique old city ideas are Saint Sulpice, Hotel Gault and Hotel Nelligan. Saint James is a 5 star boutique old city hotel currently with new ownership situation so i'm not sure what summer 2017 will bring

As for Quebec City, don't stay in a 600 room monster hotel.... Auberge Saint Antoine is an authentic experience with proper 5 star food experience.
Old Oct 30, 2016, 7:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ABG
Ritz Carlton is currently the best hotel in Montreal.... summer 2017 promo will be 3rd night at 50% of the normal rate. Other 4 star boutique old city ideas are Saint Sulpice, Hotel Gault and Hotel Nelligan. Saint James is a 5 star boutique old city hotel currently with new ownership situation so i'm not sure what summer 2017 will bring

As for Quebec City, don't stay in a 600 room monster hotel.... Auberge Saint Antoine is an authentic experience with proper 5 star food experience.
I'm probably going to use my free certs for Ritz Montreal,with no club level probably makes sense......but the 50% off promo, is that good for late May? If so is that a Virtuoso perk?

I'll take your suggestion on auberge Saint Antoine looks very nice, but wife really wants to stay at Frontenac....

Wish there were better flight options YQB to BOS though. Expensive and on noisy dash 8s. They seem to be behind the times there.
Old Nov 1, 2016, 8:43 am
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
I'm probably going to use my free certs for Ritz Montreal,with no club level probably makes sense......but the 50% off promo, is that good for late May? If so is that a Virtuoso perk?
I don't think you will be able to use any certs at Ritz Montreal. The promo is called Sweet Deal and is a created by the Tourism Board. It should combine
Old Nov 1, 2016, 9:02 am
Original Poster

I already confirmed I can use the certs for my dates. When you say combine you mean with Virtuoso benefits I presume?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.