Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

Are foreign airlines required by law to provide service in French for Quebec routes?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Are foreign airlines required by law to provide service in French for Quebec routes?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2016, 7:33 pm

Upon arriving in Yellowknife from Cambridge Bay a couple years back, I was a little surprised when I was asked if I preferred to make my way through security in French or English, but it does help to remind that this is officially a bilingual
country (one boards a jet in Cambridge Bay without passing through any security, but that is another story).
Old Sep 15, 2016, 9:26 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
I'm not sure why foreign airlines would be required to provide service in any language. The pilots have to speak English obviously.

Should Air Canada be forced to provide services in Spanish (+ Portuguese/Dutch) on flights to Central and South America?

Even most airlines flying to France from non-Francophone countries don't always have French-speaking FAs on board. Pre-recorded announcements seem to be the furthest many airlines will go.
Old Sep 15, 2016, 10:17 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
Should Air Canada be forced to provide services in Spanish (+ Portuguese/Dutch) on flights to Central and South America?
Not forced to, but if the airline hopes to attract passengers who live in the destination country, why wouldn't they want to have at least one FA on board who speaks the appropriate language?
Old Sep 16, 2016, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by SJOGuy
Not forced to, but if the airline hopes to attract passengers who live in the destination country, why wouldn't they want to have at least one FA on board who speaks the appropriate language?
The airline management may wish it but sometimes labour agreements get in the way, and of course sometimes there is no availability. I think we can all think of examples of this. I'll start with a few: NW service to/from BKK. No Thai speakers among the FAs but NW was able to hire a Thai-speaking liaison (can't remember the official term but the person was not officially an FA) for the NRT-BKK route. CP used to run YVR-(NRT)-HKG service w/o a single Cantonese speaker in the cabin crew complement! I imagine i did open the market for CX to come in and grab share (at least the bridgehead route to N America).
Old Sep 16, 2016, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
The airline management may wish it but sometimes labour agreements get in the way, and of course sometimes there is no availability. I think we can all think of examples of this. I'll start with a few: NW service to/from BKK. No Thai speakers among the FAs but NW was able to hire a Thai-speaking liaison (can't remember the official term but the person was not officially an FA) for the NRT-BKK route. CP used to run YVR-(NRT)-HKG service w/o a single Cantonese speaker in the cabin crew complement! I imagine i did open the market for CX to come in and grab share (at least the bridgehead route to N America).
AC by law/policy has one French speaker FA on all flights. Their pay scale reflects a premium for full biligualism.

AC TPAC flights also have multiple Chinese dialet speaking FAs also on the premium multi-language pay to compete in this market.

These are facts from an AC TPAC purser.
Old Sep 16, 2016, 10:11 pm

I've been on lots of flights to Budapest without a single Hungarian speaking crewmember. It's not that uncommon. The safety announcement is given as a recording.
Old Sep 17, 2016, 7:54 am

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by tentseller
AC by law/policy has one French speaker FA on all flights.
I always assumed that competition for AC / ACr FA jobs was so tight anyone who wasn't bilingual was automatically rejected - It's the price of admission to even get an interview today.
Old Sep 17, 2016, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by gglave
I always assumed that competition for AC / ACr FA jobs was so tight anyone who wasn't bilingual was automatically rejected - It's the price of admission to even get an interview today.
There are many new hires based out of YVR and YYZ who are bi/multilingual but can't communicate en franciase.
Old Sep 17, 2016, 8:13 pm
B1

Originally Posted by tentseller
There are many new hires based out of YVR and YYZ who are bi/multilingual but can't communicate en franciase.
Communicating "en franciase" would require creating a language
Old Sep 18, 2016, 8:23 pm

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
Congratulations on your new job!

Last edited by airoli; Sep 18, 2016 at 8:24 pm Reason: whoops

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.