Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

USA -> (AC/T1) YYZ -> INT'L (AC/TI) - checking bags. Can I leave the airport?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2016, 11:07 pm
Original Poster

Hello,

Flying from the US to Europe on Air Canada, connecting through YYZ. Long enough layover to have a get-together with a colleague. All flights in T1.

Can I through-check my check-in luggage, clear immigration & exit the airport for a few hours, come back and just proceed to the gate with the boarding pass I was given presumably on the US->YYZ leg? One AC phone rep (who I do not believe knew what they were talking about, at all) seemed to think it was not possible unless I specifically did not check-in for my YYZ-Europe flight at the time of my US-YYZ flight. Therefore essentially I would be checking in anew for my YYZ->Europe flight at Pearson.

Anyway to do this? either with a through-checked baggage so I don't have to ever bother with the bag, or a through-tagged baggage (that I would then re-check after clearing "full" customs at YYZ as if I were ending my travels in Toronto).
Old Aug 12, 2016, 9:17 am

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
Originally Posted by hitight
Can I through-check my check-in luggage, clear immigration & exit the airport for a few hours, come back and just proceed to the gate with the boarding pass I was given presumably on the US->YYZ leg?
Absolutely. No problem at all provided you have the necessary documentation to enter Canada.
Old Aug 12, 2016, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by airoli
Absolutely. No problem at all provided you have the necessary documentation to enter Canada.
Agreed, absolutely no problem. (I've done this a few times. Just one minor note: Cdn immigration/customs staff may ask you some additional questions about why you're just visiting for x hours).

P.S. Welcome to Flyertalk!
Old Aug 13, 2016, 12:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jasper2009
Agreed, absolutely no problem. (I've done this a few times. Just one minor note: Cdn immigration/customs staff may ask you some additional questions about why you're just visiting for x hours).

P.S. Welcome to Flyertalk!
Thanks!

So I just tell the check-in agent at my US starting point to check me in all the way through to Europe and do the same for the luggage?

I understand the questioning and will be prepared.
Old Aug 13, 2016, 4:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by hitight
Thanks!

So I just tell the check-in agent at my US starting point to check me in all the way through to Europe and do the same for the luggage?

I understand the questioning and will be prepared.
Yes, you check your baggage to your final destination and receive you BPs.

Only difference is that you follow the signs to "arrivals" instead of "int'l connections" once you arrive at YYZ.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.