Search

Driving to Canada from U.S.: Passport in Maiden Name

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2016, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Driving to Canada from U.S.: Passport in Maiden Name

Am I correct in assuming that a passenger driving to Canada from the U.S. with a valid U.S. Passport in her maiden name should not expect difficulty entering Canada even though her name was legally changed?

This involves a neighbor who has been married for some time, so it is not a newlywed situation, if that matters. She would be traveling with her husband and sons, all of whom have Passports with the husband's name.

Only information I could find was quite dated and my understanding is that crossing into Canada has gotten more strict in recent years.

Thanks!
Old Jun 27, 2016, 6:55 pm

Programs: Fairmont, Amex MR, Marriott
Originally Posted by PresRDC
Am I correct in assuming that a passenger driving to Canada from the U.S. with a valid U.S. Passport in her maiden name should not expect difficulty entering Canada even though her name was legally changed?

This involves a neighbor who has been married for some time, so it is not a newlywed situation, if that matters. She would be traveling with her husband and sons, all of whom have Passports with the husband's name.

Only information I could find was quite dated and my understanding is that crossing into Canada has gotten more strict in recent years.

Thanks!
No need to even bring it up. Just pass them the passports at the booth.
Old Jun 27, 2016, 7:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Should be no problem at all, as one province (Quebec) actually forbids women from changing their husbands' name except socially. As early as 1979, a prime minister (Joe Clark) had wife (Maureen McTeer) who did not take her husband's name.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.