Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

Thoughts on the Calgary Stampede this year (2016)?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2016, 12:01 am
Original Poster

Looking for thoughts on the Calgary Stampede this year. We were thinking about road trip to it. With the pain endured by the energy sector and Alberta in general due to oil price issues, do you think festivities will be more subdued this year? Hotel prices sure don't seem to reflect any downturn in people visiting though.
Old Jun 2, 2016, 4:43 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Westjet, Marriott, Nexus
Originally Posted by Jay71
Looking for thoughts on the Calgary Stampede this year. We were thinking about road trip to it. With the pain endured by the energy sector and Alberta in general due to oil price issues, do you think festivities will be more subdued this year? Hotel prices sure don't seem to reflect any downturn in people visiting though.
The Stampede will be the same Stampede as usual! Free pancake breakfasts, crowded fairgrounds, busy downtown patios etc. The only noticeable difference re: the economy will be the lack of corporate parties going on throughout the week.

A lot of Calgarians shun the event anyway and go away but there are plenty of visitors who make up the difference. Bring a rain coat just in case as many a downpour has occurred during the week over the years!

Enjoy!
Old Jun 2, 2016, 1:17 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
If you;re looking for a party, there will still be tons of parties!
Old Jun 7, 2016, 5:55 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
The only reason to go to the Stampede is to see which owner best feigns remorse when his horse dies in the chuckwagon race. Four last year, Dave Galloway for the win. Or how the Stampede mouthpiece defends races that regularly require equine competitors to be euthanized afterwards.
Old Jun 8, 2016, 9:08 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by Badenoch
The only reason to go to the Stampede is to see which owner best feigns remorse when his horse dies in the chuckwagon race. Four last year, Dave Galloway for the win. Or how the Stampede mouthpiece defends races that regularly require equine competitors to be euthanized afterwards.
In all the years I lived in Calgary went exactly once, and that was more than enough for me.

Then again, I'm not one for crowded places. The free breakfasts are still on? Did enjoy those.
Old Jun 9, 2016, 3:54 pm
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the mostly helpful feedback.

Plans are still in the air but it sounds like a Calgary will still be hopping. I generally dislike big crowds too but we really enjoy festive atmospheres with a lot going on. It's obviously not easy to separate the two. [Makes me think of the scene from Clerks... Dante: You hate people! Randal: But I love gatherings. Isn't it ironic?]
Old Jun 9, 2016, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by Badenoch
The only reason to go to the Stampede is to see which owner best feigns remorse when his horse dies in the chuckwagon race.
Images of Ben Hur come to mind, though I've never watched that movie all in one go.

Come to think of it, maybe a modern-day Circus Maximus should be built with infrastructure stimulus.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.