Driving to N.B. with a toddler

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2016, 7:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: Priority Club Plat./Ambassador; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Kempinski Platinum

I've reviewed the CBP and CBSA web sites, but I still don't understand what I need for smooth (rural, land) border crossings with my toddler. We're just intending to explore the coast along the Bay of Fundy for a couple of days.

My wife and I will carry US passports, but the little one doesn't have hers yet. I hoped to wait until the July redesign with the polycarbonate data page. Apparently her US birth certificate alone is sufficient from the perspective of both US and Canadian immigration? I thought about getting her a state ID card (or enhanced ID card), but it's not clear that would be sufficiently helpful to justify the interaction with the DMV.

We--including my daughter--also have EU passports, but it seems like it would be weird for two parents to present their US passports along with their daughter's EU one. The souvenir stamp definitely wouldn't be worth spending all afternoon in secondary immigration screening.

Thanks for any advice!
Old May 18, 2016, 11:18 am
B1

The US requires a person claiming to be a US citizen to produce a US passport or other document that proves it. Your daughter would technically not be admitted to the US without further investigation if you claimed she is a US citizen with no passport. For that reason, the Canada Border Services might not admit you because you could not be certain to be able to be re-admitted to the US - or at least be subjected to a lecture. The requirement for land borders is not as strict as airports but it's not likely that your daughter has an enhanced driver's license. If she was born outside the US and in a non-visa country, then she can enter on that EU passport to Canada and US. But if you state that she is US citizen, you should have the evidence of registration of her citizenship.
Old May 18, 2016, 12:08 pm

from cbp.gov
concerning what documents needed at land crossings:
U.S. and Canadian citizen children under the age of 16 (or under 19, if traveling with a school, religious group, or other youth group) need only present a birth certificate or other proof of citizenship. The birth certificate can be original, photocopy, or certified copy.

from cbsa:
If you are a U.S. citizen or permanent resident, you must carry proof of citizenship such as a passport, birth certificate, a certificate of citizenship or naturalization, a U.S. Permanent Resident Card, or a Certificate of Indian Status along with photo identification. If you are a U.S. permanent resident, ensure you carry proof of your status such as a U.S. Permanent Resident Card.
Old May 20, 2016, 8:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: Priority Club Plat./Ambassador; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Kempinski Platinum
Mea culpa

I searched, but not as well as I should've. Just last month somebody provided what I was looking for:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...-passport.html

That is, yes, it's still routine to cross the border with children, providing only a birth certificate. There's no need for a passport, passport card, or EDL. Sorry for the new thread!
Old May 20, 2016, 7:37 pm

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
CBSA.........are you kidding?

Originally Posted by HLS2002
The souvenir stamp definitely wouldn't be worth spending all afternoon in secondary immigration screening.

Thanks for any advice!
The CBSA is more likely to send you for secondary if you exceed the duty-free alcohol limits. Seriously. The CA authorities are more concerned with booze than toddlers. Show them your EU passports will only confuse them. Then you are gteed to go to secondary (the 1st and only time you will deal with anyone over age 20!)

Enjoy Fundy. CBSA is the least of your concerns.........

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.