Reload this Page >

New Transborder Process at YYZ

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Transborder Process at YYZ

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2016, 9:03 pm

I had posted this question a few days ago in its own thread but now seeing this thread, it seems more relevant here. Pardon my ignorance, but I wanted to obtain more information re: the International flight->US connection process at YYZ.

My mom is flying LH from FRA-YYZ and then AC from YYZ-PIT on a single ticket/itinerary, with a 1 hr 55 min connection in YYZ on a Friday early evening in a few weeks. She's a US citizen and in business class on FRA-YYZ and economy on YYZ-PIT in case that matters. She doesn't have Nexus or Global Entry.

My understanding of the connection process from what I can gather online is:

Her LH flight from FRA will arrive YYZ at one of the E gates in Terminal 1. Her YYZ-PIT AC flight will depart from one of the F gates in Terminal 1. Upon disembarking the FRA flight, she'd follow the purple F gates signs to the US Connection Area. She would take an escalator down one level, go through a set of glass doors, and then immediately turn left, following the F gates signs. She would then take another escalator up one level to the US Connections Hall.

Once inside the US Connection Hall, she'd scan her YYZ-PIT boarding pass at a kiosk and follow the on-screen instructions. She should check the flight status displays, and once her flight or name (?) appears on the screen, she'd proceed to U.S. Customs/Immigration for processing. She may be asked to identify a picture of her checked baggage by US CBP. After clearing US Immigration/Customs, she'd proceed to the F gate number for her PIT flight. Her baggage will be automatically transferred in YYZ without having to claim/recheck it.

My questions are:

1) Is the above description of the process accurate? I'd welcome any corrections or additional details/info.

2) While the YYZ airport website indicates security screening is after US CBP, I was told by another FT'er that security screening is now before the US Connection Area. Is that right?

3) What appears on the screen in the US Connection Hall to indicate you should proceed to US Customs/Immigration? Is it the passenger's name or is it their flight, and if their flight, is it their incoming International flight, or their outgoing US flight?

4) I know 1 hr 55 minutes is within MCT for YYZ for this type of connection, but I just wanted to get a feel from people who've made this type of a connection if this seems like it would be a relatively tight connection due to lines etc., or whether it seems like a relatively comfortable connection.

I'd also be happy to hear any other tips or additional helpful details on the connection process. Thanks!
Old Jul 19, 2016, 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by Antonio8069
I observed this mess @ YYZ last week. Fortunately, I have NEXUS and carry on only i.e. I was there for less than a minute. Here is what I know:
- the transborder security lines have been moved & there are big line-ups;
- after security, you need to self-scan your bp and wait in a holding area till your checked luggage is identified and you are called to confirm same;
- the next stop is US pre-clearance - which is now located in a massive hall where the old security lines and baggage belts were. Walk on through;
- At the transborder MLL, I asked the dragon why the security was moved? The answer (I am not kidding) is because the US Customs & Immigration pre-clearance agents did not want to be located in the same area as checked luggage. I am not kidding.
We were there 2 weeks ago and it was the first time we have been to Canada. We didn't know we had to go thru US custom at YYZ and we thought we got to the airport nice and early. We were there 2 hours before the flight. It took us close to 1 hour to get thru security. The security guy was really mean too. An old lady in front of us who obviously does not speak much English was getting yelled at on every move. She tried to put her bag on the tray and got yelled at "Only laptop on tray!" She tried to put her phone out and got yelled at "Put your phone in your bag!" She tried to step forward to the scanner, and got yelled at "Who told you to move?!"

And then the custom took another 30 to 40 minutes. The line is not that long but it just takes forever. They asked us how many checked bags we got but didn't really have to pull our bags or anything. For us it was fast when we got there, but most of the others took forever. And then the gates are probably some of the smallest waiting area I have seen in any airport. There aren't even room to stand let alone sitting. Then we got to boarding, we realized how they could fit so many gates in such a small area... the planes were not next to the gates. At least we got there in time to board!
Old Jul 20, 2016, 8:15 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, National EE, AS MVP Gold 75K, AC 75K
Anyone gone through T1 lately, I heard they recently changed the security screening / customs to be like T3.
Old Jul 24, 2016, 8:25 am

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
Domestic to Transborder Connection - nexus/GE for security?

There are still no nexus lanes for security when connecting from a transborder flight.

Shortly after the new screening process was implemented in T1 a few weeks ago, the CATSA people said it may be a few weeks. Two weekends ago, I again went across the border, and the CATSA agents said that there is no timeframe that nexus lanes at security (for connecting passengers) will be implemented?

Anyone know the true story?

I wonder if it is worth my while to go to security and US preclearance for Toronto originating passengers, as I often do in Vancouver.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 9:41 am

Originally Posted by FlyerGoldII
I wonder if it is worth my while to go to security and US preclearance for Toronto originating passengers, as I often do in Vancouver.
Two key items to remember if you try this:
1) Make sure you give your checked bags enough time to be cleared through the system, as you won't have access to the 'waiting room' screens telling you when you can proceed. So effectively, stop at Starbucks and enjoy a leisurely coffee before you head to US security.
2) Make sure to reprint your BP at a YYZ kiosk. The printing station is noted on the bottom of the BP, and the agents at the main doors will send you away if it doesn't say YYZ.
Old Aug 10, 2016, 6:12 pm

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
YYZ transborder is now a disaster

Two of my family transited the transborder area at YYZ yesterday (Aug 9). The situation they described is much worse than any FTs have described above.....

Forget NEXUS. There is no NEXUS in the transit area at YYZ - Canada's busiest airport. Instead, they were trapped in long weekday lines - 30 min wait - in the "new" transborder area.

Forget about checking luggage. They checked a bag & had to wait (again) until their name appeared on a display board!

To sum up, the YYZ transborder was relocated. Now FTs transiting YYZ have to wait in long lines in cramped quarters. Why?

Meanwhile, I transited YVR c/w checked luggage and the process was a breeze. Why had YYZ become such an armpit?
Old Aug 31, 2016, 10:09 am

Programs: Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Radisson Rewards Gold, Best Western Diamond Select
I have a YYZ-IAH flight next week. How would this affect the logistics of checkin?
Old Sep 4, 2016, 3:31 pm

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
connecting passengers @ YYZ face transborder delays

Originally Posted by slickvik
I have a YYZ-IAH flight next week. How would this affect the logistics of checkin?
My input (above) all refers to transborder cnx. @ YYZ. Your situation is much different. By originating your flight in YYZ, you will have access to the NEXUS lanes and the waiting times are much less IMO.
Old Sep 4, 2016, 4:18 pm

Can a Canadian come in from the US and depart on the same plane back to the US without going through customs? If not, would it still be possible to board the same plane going back (within 20 minutes or so)? No checked baggage.

Last edited by GeraldHouse; Sep 4, 2016 at 4:29 pm
Old Sep 4, 2016, 8:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by GeraldHouse
Can a Canadian come in from the US and depart on the same plane back to the US without going through customs? If not, would it still be possible to board the same plane going back (within 20 minutes or so)? No checked baggage.
The quickest US inbound to US outbound is iff your flight arrives to T1. You will be at Int'l arrivals. There is a CBSA checkpoint for Int'l arrival tapransiting to US. Once pass this checkpoint you will be at the CBP US departure preclear area where you use the kiosk for passport or GE. There might be a CATSA security checkpoint as well.

20 minutes? Possible but not probable.
Old Sep 7, 2016, 2:40 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
The new system absolutely sucks. Instead of getting the same treatment at GE as you do in the US, where you rarely encounter an immigration discussion, you now have to see an agent every single time. Further, they frequently understaff and the agent at the GE area goes away, causing a massive line.
Old Sep 8, 2016, 3:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Quick question, travelling YYZ T1 to the US, business class. Is there a priority lane as the Air Canada site claims, if so, can anyone speak to how long that line may take compared to regular line? Thanks.
Old Sep 8, 2016, 7:07 pm

Originally Posted by emma69
Quick question, travelling YYZ T1 to the US, business class. Is there a priority lane as the Air Canada site claims, if so, can anyone speak to how long that line may take compared to regular line? Thanks.
Checkin counter gets its own lineup

If your flying business class and your an Altitude Super Elite 35K+, you can use the special entrance on the far end of the terminal. If you just have a business class ticket, your in the same lineup as everyone else.
Old Sep 8, 2016, 7:10 pm

Originally Posted by N1120A
The new system absolutely sucks. Instead of getting the same treatment at GE as you do in the US, where you rarely encounter an immigration discussion, you now have to see an agent every single time. Further, they frequently understaff and the agent at the GE area goes away, causing a massive line.
Don't check a bag and you should walk right through.
Old Sep 9, 2016, 6:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by amw3000
Checkin counter gets its own lineup

If your flying business class and your an Altitude Super Elite 35K+, you can use the special entrance on the far end of the terminal. If you just have a business class ticket, your in the same lineup as everyone else.
Thank you - no status this year, so guess it is the regular line up for me!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.