Wiki Posts
Search

New Transborder Process at YYZ

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2016, 8:10 pm
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: UA*1K, Marriott Titanium (LTP), Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by D582
There is a new hallway built for US connections from the International Arrivals corridor. Rather than going down to the Canadian customs hall, you now go to the right and follow the signs. I presume this will now put you into the US customs area, but I'm not sure.
I think the question was more for domestic-TB connections, as although I highly doubt YYZ would make that change, it would be quite welcome. I never saw any construction near the D gates, though.
Old May 18, 2016, 9:33 pm

Originally Posted by GateGuardian
I just find it annoying when going through Global Entry with a checked bag, sometimes they ask you to verify your checked bag on a screen, sometimes they don't. They need to clarify the process.
Why? Unpredictability is an advantage in such security processes.
Old May 18, 2016, 10:53 pm

Programs: 1 thousand
Are people consistently being asked to show a Nexus/GE card to even get to the GE machines now, or is that just for security?

I did transfer preclearance a few weeks ago and was only denied expedited security due to my not being eligible for a card - no issues with GE itself - but I might have to visit YYZ (and go through normal preclearance) at some point this summer.

(That journey still had the old preclearance setup with security after CBP, all GE members going via transfer preclearance had to speak to a CBP officer but got to bypass the usual queue - in my case I got fingerprinted again and had to show the officer my KTN, I did however have an X presumably related to Visa verification.)
Old May 19, 2016, 12:21 am

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Why would you want to?

It's a much further walk.

It's not like they don't have a priority and SE line for transborder check-in.
I was thinking more along the lines of AC being able to reduce check in areas used.
Old May 19, 2016, 12:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by D582
I was thinking more along the lines of AC being able to reduce check in areas used.
That would force such a long walk though
Old May 19, 2016, 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by televisor
Are people consistently being asked to show a Nexus/GE card to even get to the GE machines now, or is that just for security?
Last month while heading to preclearance at T3 one of the yellow smocked greeters gave my girlfriend attitude when we tried to go to the nexus security lanes.
As we walked towards the nexus nook the greeter asked if i was nexus I said yes and continued to walk. She then yelled at my girlfriend saying she needed to have her nexus card visible. It was very bizarre. Funny thing was my gf was holding both our cards and the protective case was visible.

Most likely just a case of one low level person trying to maintain some authority, whether not it was theirs to have.
Old May 19, 2016, 1:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by iMedic
Last month while heading to preclearance at T3 one of the yellow smocked greeters gave my girlfriend attitude when we tried to go to the nexus security lanes.
As we walked towards the nexus nook the greeter asked if i was nexus I said yes and continued to walk. She then yelled at my girlfriend saying she needed to have her nexus card visible. It was very bizarre. Funny thing was my gf was holding both our cards and the protective case was visible.

Most likely just a case of one low level person trying to maintain some authority, whether not it was theirs to have.
At T3, they do ask to see the Nexus card. One person in front of me had to fish it out of his bag. They have always enforced that even before the change in security/DHS. Out of habit, I always have it out and flash it as I walk by.

I was at T3 this weekend and the new format is easier, and TBH makes more sense.

having said that
Old May 19, 2016, 4:12 pm

Programs: SEMM
For those of us connecting at YYZ from domestic to transborder, it is annoying to go through security again, but I think it is necessary because we merge with people coming from international to US.
Old May 19, 2016, 4:14 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Originally Posted by neuron
At T3, they do ask to see the Nexus card. One person in front of me had to fish it out of his bag. They have always enforced that even before the change in security/DHS. Out of habit, I always have it out and flash it as I walk by.

I was at T3 this weekend and the new format is easier, and TBH makes more sense.

having said that
There is no point asking to see the card because if you said you had GE only (no Nexus), you would not have a card I believe, just a passport. They have only asked me to show my BP.
Old May 19, 2016, 4:26 pm

Programs: AC SE100K MM, Princess Elite
Originally Posted by vernonc
There is no point asking to see the card because if you said you had GE only (no Nexus), you would not have a card I believe, just a passport. They have only asked me to show my BP.
I've seen GE cards and they look nearly identical to the Nexus cards except they say Global Entry where the Nexus cards say Nexus
Old May 19, 2016, 4:42 pm

Programs: 1 thousand
Originally Posted by yyz_atc_qq
I've seen GE cards and they look nearly identical to the Nexus cards except they say Global Entry where the Nexus cards say Nexus
The key point is that GE members don't have to carry a card (except at land borders), and some members aren't eligible for the card.
Old May 19, 2016, 6:50 pm

Programs: Ice Cream Club, AC SE MM, Bonvoy Life Plat
Originally Posted by yyz_atc_qq
Sentri too.
Old May 19, 2016, 6:55 pm

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
Originally Posted by Absolute
I think the question was more for domestic-TB connections, as although I highly doubt YYZ would make that change, it would be quite welcome. I never saw any construction near the D gates, though.
I believe that has changed as well somehow. Previously, you had to leave the secure area, turn right, and go up the escalators.

That signage has all been removed and there is signage for the F gates that points towards the same area as the E gates I believe.
Old May 19, 2016, 7:34 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium Elite, AC 25K
Did this this morning, domestic transfer to US. Not sure it is helpful overall. Long line to get through the first yellow jackets...and don't see the point of traveling through a secure area as opposed to the past and still have to go through security. And no advantage with nexus, Amex,or status in security line! Nexus, non nexus not clearly marked once passed security, lines you go into after that if you are a zero or x on your receipt are a mess. Hopefully it gets better.
Old May 19, 2016, 8:40 pm

Programs: Ice Cream Club, AC SE MM, Bonvoy Life Plat
Originally Posted by airswim
Did this this morning, domestic transfer to US. Not sure it is helpful overall. Long line to get through the first yellow jackets...and don't see the point of traveling through a secure area as opposed to the past and still have to go through security. And no advantage with nexus, Amex,or status in security line! Nexus, non nexus not clearly marked once passed security, lines you go into after that if you are a zero or x on your receipt are a mess. Hopefully it gets better.
The advantage: You didn't have to claim your bag and carry it through.

Oh? You didn't check in a bag? Then I agree, probably zero advantage to the old system of leave airside and enter again, except a slightly shorter walk compared to truly re-entering, and probably still a shorter walk and access to a bigger farm of GE kiosks vs. the old 2 using the connection-entrance to preclearance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.