Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

Going to Toronto for the first time

Old Apr 30, 2016, 6:44 pm
Original Poster

Hello,
Planning a 3 day stay in Toronto next year and I'm looking at hotels. I'm looking at staying at either DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Toronto Downtown or Hilton Toronto. Just wondering if anyone knows which is a better hotel as far as location, accomodations, service, etc.

I only have HHonors points to use and can only look at Hilton hotels.
Old May 1, 2016, 12:46 am

Programs: UA 50K, refugee from AC E50K, Marriott Lifetime Plat
The Hilton is a nicer hotel vs the DoubleTree. Location of the Hilton is a little nicer though there's nothing wrong or unsafe with the DoubleTree. I personally prefer the restaurants in the DoubleTree vs the Hilton though.

We also have a Hilton Garden Inn on Peter Street in downtown Toronto. (I'm assuming a Garden Inn consumes less points.) If you want to be downtown, you may want to consider this as an option.

If it matters to you, the Hilton has more amenities such as a pool, larger conference facilities etc. Of the 3 properties we're talking about, in my mind Hilton > DoubleTree > Garden Inn with respect to what I would expect from a room and general service / services at the hotel.
Old May 1, 2016, 1:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RCyyz
The Hilton is a nicer hotel vs the DoubleTree. Location of the Hilton is a little nicer though there's nothing wrong or unsafe with the DoubleTree. I personally prefer the restaurants in the DoubleTree vs the Hilton though.

We also have a Hilton Garden Inn on Peter Street in downtown Toronto. (I'm assuming a Garden Inn consumes less points.) If you want to be downtown, you may want to consider this as an option.

If it matters to you, the Hilton has more amenities such as a pool, larger conference facilities etc. Of the 3 properties we're talking about, in my mind Hilton > DoubleTree > Garden Inn with respect to what I would expect from a room and general service / services at the hotel.
Thanks, I also looked at the Hilton Garden Inn but it costs 10k more per night than the other two, so I'll to research more.
Old May 1, 2016, 2:19 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum, Accor Gold
I've stayed at the Doubletree Downtown and really liked it. Location was perfect for me, staff were really helpful (my housekeeping lady was a superstar!) and I really liked having a kitchen so I could cook (or make my own toast for breakfast).
Old May 1, 2016, 3:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bibbju
I've stayed at the Doubletree Downtown and really liked it. Location was perfect for me, staff were really helpful (my housekeeping lady was a superstar!) and I really liked having a kitchen so I could cook (or make my own toast for breakfast).
Came with a kitchen? Cool!
Old May 1, 2016, 6:58 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by ST_Hawaii
Came with a kitchen? Cool!
It was a little corner suite so separate living area and a separate kitchen with a HUGE fridge. There's a great deli (Longo's) just around the corner for any food/drinks you need. They also do good pizza, bread, pre-prepared meat/veg. Once I'd found Longo's, I could have pretty much lived at the Doubletree
Old May 1, 2016, 4:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bibbju
It was a little corner suite so separate living area and a separate kitchen with a HUGE fridge. There's a great deli (Longo's) just around the corner for any food/drinks you need. They also do good pizza, bread, pre-prepared meat/veg. Once I'd found Longo's, I could have pretty much lived at the Doubletree
Nice. and thanks again
Old May 1, 2016, 8:28 pm

Both are in awesome locations. Just keep in mind you are downtown and your somewhat in the entertainment district so be aware at night. You are in the heart of the city, with malls and lots of restaurants. You'd be a city block away from the madness of Yonge Street but its very walkable on foot, paths above and below ground.
Old May 1, 2016, 11:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by amw3000
Both are in awesome locations. Just keep in mind you are downtown and your somewhat in the entertainment district so be aware at night. You are in the heart of the city, with malls and lots of restaurants. You'd be a city block away from the madness of Yonge Street but its very walkable on foot, paths above and below ground.
Thank you

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.