Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

Going to Canada for the first time!

Going to Canada for the first time!

Old Apr 27, 2016, 7:21 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Originally Posted by mvtm
Yes, yes of course i'm going to Parliament Hill, i would die if not. I love that building and it's like the #1 thing to do there.

So far of my Ottawa list i have:

1 Change of guard Parliament Hill (Free tour- arrive early morning)
- Peace Tower

2. Try the BeaverTails

3. Canada Museum of History

4. Stroll the Rideau Canal
- Climb into the Chateau Laurier

And if i have time, maybe add mint? and Rideau Hall! Yes, i agree with you i would love the Canadian Museum of History, in fact i checked a few that are in Ottawa and the one i liked the best to go was that one. From Toronto i'll like the AGO too, seems more enticing to me even than the ROM, but of course i'll do both. I'm female and i'm not really into seeing a Hockey Hall of fame museum... really.. it's not my cup of tea, i think i will skip that one but thanks.

Thanks so much for the tips.

If i stay at the Chelsea (i will know this week), what are some good places to eat nearby the hotel? Also, i forgot what you guys recommend me for the Toronto metro passes? Can i get a good value public transportation ticket or day passes are best?

What other areas are better than Chelsea? I heard a lot about Yonge,Yorkeville and everything with Y is supposed to be trendy. I'm not looking exactly for expensive things but do like to a broader panorama about Toronto different neighborhoods and/or areas.

That's nice to hear, location for me is prime.

Sadly i don't think i'll be able to add an extra excursion 2 hours away, frankly i'm happy with all the things i must do at Toronto. I like nature... but my parents not so much. They are in their 70 and 80's and they have never been nature or animal fans, but thanks!!

What's QEW and 400?

I will post more details as soon as i have them. I'm taking notes of all your recommendations for a better trip experience.
Food it not a problem in Toronto as you can get any type of food. Gerrard Street has little India. West of Spadina for Chinese. Yorkville for trendy and high end eateries. Distillery districk for some up and coming places. Entertainment district for NA food (steak, Italian, etc).
You can walk to a lot of places from your hotel but not sure how fit your parents are at their age. If you want to take a cab, anywhere down town should be less than $20.
Most Canadian cities are very safe, much better than their US counterparts. You will find people walking at all hours of the day and night. One area you might want to avoid late at night is the area east of Jarvis near Church St which is sort of like a red light area. I have not been there in ages so not sure if things have improved.
You might want to take your parents for dinner to the 360 restaurant on top of the CN tower. You get admission to the tower without a lineup and will get a panoramic view of the city and waterfront as the restaurant rotates.
Summerlicious is a food festival where for a fixed price you can try some of the best restaurants in TO. You might also want to visit the St Lawrence market. Eaton Center is a large mall. try toronto.com for a list of events.
Old Apr 27, 2016, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by californiadreamin'
I must say, all these places are great. Toronto being a big American-style city,
As a part time Torontonian now, lived for 35yrs, been to all 50 states, I "strongly disagree"
Old Apr 27, 2016, 4:33 pm

Programs: UA 50K, refugee from AC E50K, Marriott Lifetime Plat
I'm female and i'm not really into seeing a Hockey Hall of fame museum... really.. it's not my cup of tea, i think i will skip that one but thanks.

Thanks so much for the tips.

If i stay at the Chelsea (i will know this week), what are some good places to eat nearby the hotel? Also, i forgot what you guys recommend me for the Toronto metro passes? Can i get a good value public transportation ticket or day passes are best?

Lots of girls like hockey and lots of them play the game quite well. But hey - understand if it's not your cup of tea. Like I said though, do go to Brookfield Place and admire the Galleria. You'll very likely be down in that area anyway if you're touring YYZ.

Good places to eat - you'll need to give us a little more to work with. Toronto has everything. Canada is a nation of immigrants and we get people from everywhere settling here. As a result, the food choices are generally wider vs other cities of similar size. Do you have a particular ethnic food choice you're yearning for? Do you have a budget?

In no particular order:

Richmond Station - reservations are a good idea
Salad King - Thai place around the corner from the hotel
Barberian's - Steak pace across the street from the hotel
Mercatto - chain of Italian restaurants. Various locations all pretty close to the hotel
Chinatown around Spadina & Dundas - look for anywhere with meats hanging in the window / crammed full of Chinese people.
Lai Wah Heen - upscale, somewhat expensive Chinese restaurant in the Double Tree Hilton. Chestnut St just south of Dundas. Area looks a little dodgy but it's perfectly safe.
Bosk - in the Shangri-La. Refined and priced accordingly.
Toca - in the Ritz Carlton. Also refined and also priced accordingly.
Anywhere on King St between John & Blue Jays Way.
Ja Bistro - blowtorch sushi. Quite yummy. The chef there studied under Jiro.
Copacabana - Adelaide St at Duncan. Brazilian BBQ place with over-the-top portions of yummy meats.
Korean Grill House - various locations a couple of which are close to the hotel.
La Maquette - Italian place near St. Lawrence Market. Cool neighbourhood.
SoCo Kitchen - in the (new) Delta hotel. Close to Roger's Centre & Ripley's Aquarium.
Patria - on King St just west of Spadina. One of my faves. Patria is a tapas place. Hard to find it though. Walk on north side of King St. If you go by the Patagonia store, you've gone too far.
Jacques Bistro - small French place in Yorkville. Reservations recommended as it fills up quickly.

A bit further afield:

Gerrard St E between Greenwood and Coxwell is home to many Indian and a few Pakistani restaurants. The 506 streetcar from College St will get you there.
Queen St E around Kew Gardens - this area is known as "The Beaches". It's a nice area to wander through. The Queen streetcar (501) will take you there from downtown.

And more ...

For public transit, you'll be here 5d so probably best to get a weekly pass.
Old Apr 27, 2016, 4:43 pm

Quick note on YUL & YQB, the areas you'll want to check out are the old parts of town. So in Montreal head for the old port (Le Vieux Port). Similarly, in Quebec City look for Vieux Quebec.

I think you're being driven to YUL. On the way you should see if you can stop in Kingston to visit Fort Henry. This will give you good sense of some of the history of Canada particularly as it relates to the War of 1812.

In Montreal, Juste Pour Rire (Just for Laughs) festival will be on. Worth trying to catch a show. Juste Pour Rire is famous for the gags they pull but they have other shows too which can be just as funny. You might also be able to catch the circus in Montreal.

Last edited by RCyyz; Apr 27, 2016 at 8:45 pm
Old Apr 27, 2016, 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by vernonc
You might want to take your parents for dinner to the 360 restaurant on top of the CN tower. You get admission to the tower without a lineup and will get a panoramic view of the city and waterfront as the restaurant rotates.
Good one! ^ I forgot about 360. The food up there is pretty good and the views obviously are great.
Old May 2, 2016, 10:46 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus
What's QEW and 400?
The QEW is the Queen Elizabeth Way, one of the major freeways in Toronto and the main highway from there to Niagar Falls.
Old May 2, 2016, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Let's get the facts right re: QEW, (Hwy)400

What's QEW and 400?
Originally Posted by weblet
Haha, the highways to Niagara Falls and east to Montreal

Oh, and get some fresh Ontario peaches while there, they should be coming in. Yum!
Originally Posted by ajGoes
The QEW is the Queen Elizabeth Way, one of the major freeways in Toronto and the main highway from there to Niagar Falls.
QEW goes from Toronto westbound via Niagara Falls to Fort Erie, across the Peace Bridge from Buffalo.

Highway 400 goes from Toronto starting at the 401 northbound toward Sudbury.

Neither of these road go directly to Montreal, you can google this.

QEW and 400 never meet/intersect. You can google that as well.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.