Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

Meeting a Friend Coming in on a Late Night Flight [YYZ]

Meeting a Friend Coming in on a Late Night Flight [YYZ]

Old Apr 19, 2016, 4:44 pm
Original Poster

Would anybody mind if I posted in the Safety/Security forum to discuss some security issues I've got.

My friend plans to phone me before he gets onto his plane. When I get the call, I'll head to the airport and wait for him. I think it's pretty obvious that I've never met an international flight in Toronto.

Also, how long does it take for a person to clear customs if he isn't searched?

Chuck
Old Apr 19, 2016, 4:44 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by CKA1
Would it make sense to ask somebody at the airport about where he'll come out of customs? In Calgary we have volunteers in white cowboy hats to help people find their way.
I haven't seen that type of volunteer at Pearson (especially not late nights) but maybe I just tune them out because I'm from Toronto and very familiar with the airport. What terminal is he arriving at?

Someone here can surely show you a picture/diagram of exactly where the exit from baggage claim is. There is only one, everyone is funneled through regardless of whether they have a bag or not.

If he is travelling on a non-US or Canadian passport, there may be a long queue for immigration. Baggage claim is notoriously slow at YYZ as well, so allow time for that. For a foreigner claiming a checked bag, 30 minutes gate to curb would be reasonable.
Old Apr 19, 2016, 10:32 pm

Programs: UA 50K, refugee from AC E50K, Marriott Lifetime Plat
What freaks me out about being out late at night is the potential for being mugged or assaulted when walking the streets.

[...]

Get to the airport, get him and I into a cab and get directly to the school. Literally, go from the cab stand to the front steps of the school. No stopping and windows rolled up, doors locked.
Toronto is the biggest city in Canada and yes, we do have some problems here. But you are completely blowing things out of proportion.

I say this next bit kindly - if you are that afraid of coming here, you should not come. If you do, with an attitude of being freaked out, scared and frankly paranoid about violet crime lurking at every corner, you will not have a good time here.

Take a big breath. Pause. Now let it out.

You will not be carjacked in Toronto. You will not be mugged. You will not be assaulted. Nothing bad will happen to you unless you let it. Common sense is required in Toronto just as it is anywhere else.
Old Apr 19, 2016, 10:36 pm

Programs: UA 50K, refugee from AC E50K, Marriott Lifetime Plat
OK - back to the question of how to meet someone at the airport. In T1 there are 2 exits. One is for domestic arrivals (flights originating in Canada and landing in Toronto). The other is for all other arrivals and is marked "International". When pax exit the International door, they can turn left or they can turn right. No matter which way they turn, you can easily see them as they come out the door.

The setup in T3 is similar. (We no longer have a T2 in Toronto.)

It would be pretty hard to miss a friend coming out the door at either T1 or T3.
Old Apr 20, 2016, 1:07 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Would anybody mind if I posted in the Safety/Security forum to discuss some security issues I've got.

My friend plans to phone me before he gets onto his plane. When I get the call, I'll head to the airport and wait for him. I think it's pretty obvious that I've never met an international flight in Toronto.

Also, how long does it take for a person to clear customs if he isn't searched?

Chuck
If this is a serious post, then I think both you and your friend would be better off if you stayed at home and arranged for a car to collect him. The driver will have a signboard with his name, so your friend can identify him, and you get to stay at home in safety.
Old Apr 20, 2016, 9:04 pm
Original Poster

Personal Experience

Thanks guys,

I've thought about this, and I'm sure I'm just worrying about nothing.

I've done this before. Same school, and I did fine, more or less.

He's coming in on T3. I assume I can just find the door and stand by it? Has anybody ever heard of Republic Air, some kind of airline?

This is an incredibly serious post. I know I won't be carjacked. I've gone out at night with my friends from school, including this fellow. Like you say, don't take dumb risks. I did look into a car service, but really, I can't afford it. It makes more sense for me to meet him there and take a cab or limo to the school.

I have been approached by street people, even in daylight. Some are rather aggressive, but that happens in every city. I had one woman follow me down the street, demanding money. This is probably the most legitimate concern I'd ever had in Toronto.

I am sure there would be trouble if I went looking for it, but I'm a non drinker, don't do drugs and don't generally go out late at night alone. I've really thought about it, based on your general comments and I feel comfortable going to the airport, coming back from restaurants, etc.

On the topic of meeting my friend, do I meet him at the luggage carousel, or on the arrivals lobby, or what. I looked online and it said the airport is open 24 hours a day, so if I need help, I assume I can find somebody to help me?

Chuck
Old Apr 21, 2016, 9:58 am
Suspended

Just wait with everyone else. Seriously, you are making a really big deal out of an everyday event. There are plenty of people to help you. Honestly, chill out.
Old Apr 21, 2016, 11:26 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
You have to wait in the arrivals lobby. The luggage carousel area is before customs clearance, and it is separated from the arrivals area by a set of motorized doors. You will not be allowed to go inside.
Old Apr 25, 2016, 1:29 pm

How about you tell your friend to come out of Customs and go to the Information Kiosk that is directly outside of the Customs doors. You wait there until he shows up. Simples! ;-)

if he still manages to get lost he can go to any Information Desk and have you paged.
Old Apr 27, 2016, 2:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K (2MM)
1. The easiest is if you wear something distinctive and tell him before.

2. Yes, a sign would make sense in the circumstance.

3. He will clear Cdn customs/immigration at Pearson. At that time of night it isn't too busy but the day of the week and travel conditions that day will affect the crowd at the airport. 11pm would be ok to be there waiting but I would recommend 1045pm if the flight is on time and such as it can be quick that time of night.

4. He could land at terminal one or three depending on his carrier. Based on that you can choose a backup landmark or shop (I believe there is only one Timmies in each terminal, outside of security). There are also meeting points at Pearson but I never really paid attention to them.

nb...Technically he could be denied entry (or questioned more in depth) if they believe his documentation/circumstance is in question. I am no immigration lawyer or expert BUT they have to 'believe' or know you are a citizen before they let you in. If he has a Cdn passport in good condition I wouldn't expect a problem. When I went thru with my very clean Cdn passport (thru the washer in my slack pocket) they did ask as to how it got like that and quizzed me a bit.

Good luck (which should be needed with a little planning and coordination).

Ok,

I'll be meeting a friend who is flying in from Portugal via the USA in early June.

What is the easiest way to find him at Pearson International (Toronto) when he comes off the plane and clears Customs?

Should I basically stand there with a sign with his name on it? I know what he looks like, but he could walk past me and I wouldn't have a clue, especially since we probably won't meet till well after 11PM when I am rather tired. He doesn't have a cell phone, and I don't know how to meet him in Toronto if something goes wrong.

I've got off planes and had a driver or co-worker meet me. This is different because he's coming off a plane from the US and I don't know if he clears customs in the US or Canada. This might seem like a really basic question, but I'm a little confused as to the procedure.

He is a Canadian citizen. Customs will probably go through his bags, but they can't legally deny him entry. So I can be reasonably certain that he will get off the plane and get through customs, but I'm unsure how long that will take him. His plane lands at 2200, and I don't know flight details yet.

He is going to phone me before he gets on his US flight. I'm unfamiliar with how long/where he'll be after landing in Toronto. Are there still pay phones in airports so he can phone my mobile when he lands?

Any thoughts?
Old Apr 27, 2016, 2:48 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by SLC-YYZ
1. The easiest is if you wear something distinctive and tell him before.

2. Yes, a sign would make sense in the circumstance.

3. He will clear Cdn customs/immigration at Pearson. At that time of night it isn't too busy but the day of the week and travel conditions that day will affect the crowd at the airport. 11pm would be ok to be there waiting but I would recommend 1045pm if the flight is on time and such as it can be quick that time of night.

4. He could land at terminal one or three depending on his carrier. Based on that you can choose a backup landmark or shop (I believe there is only one Timmies in each terminal, outside of security). There are also meeting points at Pearson but I never really paid attention to them.

nb...Technically he could be denied entry (or questioned more in depth) if they believe his documentation/circumstance is in question. I am no immigration lawyer or expert BUT they have to 'believe' or know you are a citizen before they let you in. If he has a Cdn passport in good condition I wouldn't expect a problem. When I went thru with my very clean Cdn passport (thru the washer in my slack pocket) they did ask as to how it got like that and quizzed me a bit.

Good luck (which should be needed with a little planning and coordination).
I'm not sure you're helping much. OP has confirmed arrival into T3. Just stand in front of the door...a Canadian citizen cannot be denied entry into Canada, so unless he has no passport or other identification with him (impossible if e's arriving from Portugal via the US) you're just causing unnecessary worry. You seem to be unnecessarily overcomplicating something as simple as walking and looking.
Old Apr 28, 2016, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
There is only one exit for non-domestic arrival at T3 after clearing CBSA.

The exit is elevated a bit (like a stage) from the rest of the arrival level so the sightline to the exit door is good from the waiting area. They will head down a short ramp.ramp to the main arrival level.

For UofT area and a few big bags just get the airport limo service.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 5:02 am

Programs: UA 1K (2MM)
Originally Posted by LondonElite
I'm not sure you're helping much. OP has confirmed arrival into T3. Just stand in front of the door...a Canadian citizen cannot be denied entry into Canada, so unless he has no passport or other identification with him (impossible if e's arriving from Portugal via the US) you're just causing unnecessary worry. You seem to be unnecessarily overcomplicating something as simple as walking and looking.
Apologies on the needless reply...the rest of the thread was cutoff for some reason when I replied.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 5:09 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by SLC-YYZ
Apologies on the needless reply...the rest of the thread was cutoff for some reason when I replied.
Sorry, didn't mean to sound harsh...I'm just a little confused that something which is really simple and unthreatening should be construed as to be a big challenge. If someone has managed to fly from Portugal to Canada via the US, finding his friend on the other side of the only door he can possibly come out of shouldn't be difficult.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.