Wiki Posts
Search

US customs labor action at YYZ?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2016, 3:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC*SE100K, AC*MM, Marriott Platinum Elite
US customs labor action at YYZ?

A friend is telling me that YYZ US customs is massively backed up today due to labor action. Many agents didn't show up and many global entry terminals were out of service. Two hour waits, flight delays, etc.

Any more news on this and whether it's a one-day thing?
Old Apr 10, 2016, 3:50 pm

Programs: AC E75 / Marriott Titanium Elite
I waited 90 mins last week and was told they've had a shortage of officers lately, perhaps that's the company line for disgruntled.
Old Apr 10, 2016, 4:10 pm

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
My 915 to LAS last Sunday didn't leave until after 10 due to Customs.

At one point, anyone with an X had exactly one agent processing them.
Old Apr 10, 2016, 4:12 pm

Programs: UA Plat, AC SE, SPG Platinum, Fairmont Presidents Club
I just showed up at Pearson at 4 for a 625 departure. It was the worst I've ever seen in the last 15 months.
Old Apr 10, 2016, 4:40 pm

Programs: AC SE; SPG Platnium; HH G
This morning there was huge line for regular folks but for global entry waltzed in and through in under five minutes. And lots of kiosks were open.

This was 8 am
Old Apr 10, 2016, 6:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
The last time I recall this was a couple of years back when the U.S. gov was about to run out of money and a new federal budget had not been approved/signed or something like that and it was mayhem at YYZ with airport agents running around yelling out "anyone on the 6:30? come with me", followed by "anyone on the 7am...." and on it went for hours

So, showing up a couple of hours early only had everyone wait in line as the U.S. CBP agents who did show up to work took whatever time they wanted in processing.

If Nexus kiosks are also not working, then it could very well be a nightmare.
Old Apr 10, 2016, 10:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
YVR today had four of the six GE kiosks out of service.
Old Apr 10, 2016, 10:13 pm

Programs: Air Canada Aeroplan
Originally Posted by canadiancow
It was already that way last Thursday.
Old Apr 11, 2016, 7:05 am
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
i've always found the cbp agents in yyz to be extremely aggressive, agitated, paranoid in my years. of course they're better than any group of cbsa anywhere, but still one of the worst of any cbp base i've been through.

it's probably an ordinary operating day, cuts to front line staffing due to bugeting have been prevalent for years now. this is why the us govt is pushing global entry and pre check. canadians were very fortunate to have pre clearance locations with typical staffing, as 90-150 minute waits for non us/canadian residents would be typical at most airports.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...toms-officers/

i am willing to bet that the global entry kiosks were deliberately put out of service by management in order to manage thruput/avoid bottlenecks/juke the stats....cbsa managers play games like this with primary line staffing during peak hours.

ps i doubt the cbp would take collective labor action, they're not apart of the same unionized abomination that prevails with the current cbsa workforce

Last edited by cur; Apr 11, 2016 at 7:19 am
Old Apr 11, 2016, 8:27 am

Originally Posted by canadiancow
6/6 out of service 12 hours later

Everyone seeing an agent without a card filled out, thankfully they didn't care.
Old Apr 11, 2016, 8:32 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by cur
i've always found the cbp agents in yyz to be extremely aggressive, agitated, paranoid in my years. of course they're better than any group of cbsa anywhere, but still one of the worst of any cbp base i've been through.

it's probably an ordinary operating day, cuts to front line staffing due to bugeting have been prevalent for years now. this is why the us govt is pushing global entry and pre check. canadians were very fortunate to have pre clearance locations with typical staffing, as 90-150 minute waits for non us/canadian residents would be typical at most airports.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...toms-officers/

i am willing to bet that the global entry kiosks were deliberately put out of service by management in order to manage thruput/avoid bottlenecks/juke the stats....cbsa managers play games like this with primary line staffing during peak hours.

ps i doubt the cbp would take collective labor action, they're not apart of the same unionized abomination that prevails with the current cbsa workforce
Why are you mixing CBSA and CBP together? Per the thread title, we're not talking about CBSA here...

FWIW the dozens of CBP officers I've interacted with at YYZ and YUL have all been professional and courteous. YVR, not so much. If OP is correct, it's a shame they're playing games with people's time, money and travel plans. Not cool
Old Apr 11, 2016, 10:44 am

Originally Posted by ffsim
If OP is correct, it's a shame they're playing games with people's time, money and travel plans. Not cool
But that is what strikes are all about, no? To inconvenience other people so that the striker's demands are met.
Old Apr 11, 2016, 10:53 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by 1Newflyer
But that is what strikes are all about, no? To inconvenience other people so that the striker's demands are met.
Of course, but border security should probably be considered an essential service and for good reason. And keep in mind we're talking about pressure tactics, not a full on strike.
Old Apr 11, 2016, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
Originally Posted by ffsim
Why are you mixing CBSA and CBP together? Per the thread title, we're not talking about CBSA here...

FWIW the dozens of CBP officers I've interacted with at YYZ and YUL have all been professional and courteous. YVR, not so much. If OP is correct, it's a shame they're playing games with people's time, money and travel plans. Not cool
The most obnoxious CBP officers I've encountered were at YUL and YVR. Haven't had any issues at YYZ.

I really wish they'd just treaty up a common customs zone between Canada and the US, it would really make a lot of sense.
Old Apr 11, 2016, 11:04 am

Programs: Air Canada Aeroplan
Originally Posted by entropy
I really wish they'd just treaty up a common customs zone between Canada and the US, it would really make a lot of sense.
Customs' got nothing to do with it. The issue is immigration.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.