Wiki Posts
Search

booze duty exemption

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2016, 10:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC S100K, SPG, etc., NEXUS, GOES
booze duty exemption

If I show up at YYZ with one bottle of expensive scotch and six bottles of medium priced wine, can I use my exemption on the scotch, or do they average it out?

I live in the US where they automatically use the exemption on the highest duty item (and the duty on wine is so low they never collect it) but I'm coming through Toronto this time and driving home.
Old Jan 23, 2016, 10:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Thread relocated to Canada forum for more discussion.

tcook052
AC forum moderator
Old Jan 23, 2016, 10:19 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
Originally Posted by jrlevine
If I show up at YYZ with one bottle of expensive scotch and six bottles of medium priced wine, can I use my exemption on the scotch, or do they average it out?

I live in the US where they automatically use the exemption on the highest duty item (and the duty on wine is so low they never collect it) but I'm coming through Toronto this time and driving home.
You can use your exemption on any bottle you want. If your Scotch is 750 mls, I would claim the scotch and 1 bottle of wine on your exemption. Tell the officer you live in the States and are driving home. He/she may wave all duties.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.