Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

Travelling Greyhound in Canada

Old Nov 13, 2015, 12:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold, DL Silver, Hertz PC, Avis Pref+, Accor Silver

I was thinking of making a Greyhound trip (this'll be my first..) 5 hours worth, leaving from Grand Prairie.

Would be glad to hear if 5 hours on a Greyhound in Canada is comfortable, OK, or not a good idea....

Thanks

D.
Old Nov 14, 2015, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
I'd go with "ok". (not particularly comfortable, but ok for a few hours).

I'd say Greyhound has a slightly better reputation in Canada than in the US, i.e. it's generally safe and you may find a decent number of "normal" people onboard (students, tourists, seniors who no longer drive).
Old Nov 14, 2015, 10:50 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Sadly Greyhound is the only option for intercity travel (without a private vehicle) in many parts of Canada. In those places, it's generally OK if not overly comfortable. However, for long-haul travel (i.e. routes also served by air carriers), it's not advisable. Routes like Edmonton-Vancouver are rife with problems like people shooting heroin in the bathrooms, buses breaking down 200 km from anywhere and pax stranded on the side of the highway for hours, etc.

In general, Greyhound pax are people who can't afford to fly and can't afford a vehicle, which is 95% normal working-class people, but the 5% mentally unstable/criminals/drug addicts ruin it for everyone.
Old Nov 15, 2015, 3:53 pm
Original Poster

I tried to book a couple of times on the greyhound.ca site - was not accepting my credit cards.

Called the helpdesk - truly terrible. Offshore somewhere, possible Philippines, operator had difficulty with English and was unfamiliar with station names in Canada.

Tried busbud and after a couple of attempt managed to buy a ticket. Why is this so much more difficult than buying an air ticket ???
Old Nov 15, 2015, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by dand99
I tried to book a couple of times on the greyhound.ca site - was not accepting my credit cards.

Called the helpdesk - truly terrible. Offshore somewhere, possible Philippines, operator had difficulty with English and was unfamiliar with station names in Canada.

Tried busbud and after a couple of attempt managed to buy a ticket. Why is this so much more difficult than buying an air ticket ???
Not sure whether that's still the case, but the website used to accept Cdn credit cards / credit cards with a Cdn billing address only.
Old Nov 15, 2015, 5:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
There have been relatively few episodes of passenger beheadings and cannibalism on Greyhound in Canada. Go for it!

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crim...icle-1.1962579
Old Nov 17, 2015, 9:47 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
There have been relatively few episodes of passenger beheadings and cannibalism on Greyhound in Canada
Couldn't find a Canadian article

Sadly, Greyhound Canada had to cover up a whole bunch of billboards with "You've never heard of bus rage."

And when you say relatively few, you mean EXACTLY ONE ...

Just think how many would be dead if it were Greyhound US and it were a gun .... oh wait, that would not be news ....
Old Dec 9, 2015, 4:15 am
Original Poster

The Greyhound Canada experience

AND reporting back.

The ride was not all that bad at all. The Greyhound station at Grand Prairie must've looked fine in 40 odd years ago, but needs renovation/expanding/a cleaning by now.

Boarding was no problem, my luggage was given a nice tag with lots of information and a tear-off stub to ostensibly claim it at the other end - which no-one paid any attention to.... Still, luggage for different stops was stored in different compartments, so you could probably rest easy without worrying about your luggage going walkabout.

The bus was comfortable-ish. Fair recline, no tray tables (pity...) but working wifi and power outlets. Lights were turned off to allow sleeping when dark. On board toilet was reasonably clean. Driver was polite and efficient. 5 hours went by quickly.

SO overall - good ride, would do it again.

D.

ps no, no beheading or cannibalism seen, unless they did so very discreetly.

I was thinking of making a Greyhound trip (this'll be my first..) 5 hours worth, leaving from Grand Prairie.

Would be glad to hear if 5 hours on a Greyhound in Canada is comfortable, OK, or not a good idea....

Thanks

D.
Old Dec 16, 2015, 1:55 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
Greayhound - "Where You Be Headin?"
Old Jan 7, 2016, 12:02 pm
Original Poster

....and now for the next trip...

Having survived my first trip, I am thinking of trying the same route again, but in mid-Feb.

Do Greyhound often cancel buses when the weather gets tough ? (northern Alberta...) Based on highway police travel advisories only ?

If your trip does get cancelled, what then ? I assume no more than a refund ?
Old Jan 7, 2016, 2:37 pm
B1

Having survived my first trip, I am thinking of trying the same route again, but in mid-Feb.

Do Greyhound often cancel buses when the weather gets tough ? (northern Alberta...) Based on highway police travel advisories only ?

If your trip does get cancelled, what then ? I assume no more than a refund ?
I had that happen to me in New Brunswick - the storm closed highways and the bus didn't run. The ticket is not for a specific trip (at least it wasn't then) so I just waited until the next day,

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.