Where to go on Vancouver Island?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Where to go on Vancouver Island?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2015, 12:35 pm

Programs: FT
There is also the wiki inn. It's very nice but I think overpriced a little although if you are in the off season, they sometimes have specials.

http://www.wickinn.com/

Yes. Sooke harbour house is very nice. I'd have suggested it but it's up there depending on the time of year like the wiki.

I have some good friends that have lived in tofino for years. I recommend trying some surfing too. Make sure you get a good dry suit since the water is still cold.

I once lasted in the water in bamfield for 30 seconds. It was a dare and we were smashed and the winter.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 5:29 am
B1

My own preference is not Tofino - the road to it is fine from Port Alberni but it's what you expect it to be. We had a great holiday in the area north of Nanaimo (ferry to/from Vancouver) staying in the Kingfisher Resort in Courtenay, which is on the water with a spectacular view. Stratchona Provincial Park gets you to high altitudes, remote Pacific areas and inland lakes. There are great restaurants and a relaxed atmosphere. There is direct service to Comox on WestJet or drive up highway 19.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 12:00 am

My 2 cents. Grew up on the Island - Parksville.

If the Sooke Harbour House is your caliber, skip the Kingfisher Resort in Courtenay - it has become rather tired over the years - and instead consider the Old School House. Slightly boutique-esque, yes - but walking distance from fantastic restaurants and microbrews. Up Island has the draw of Mount Washington - not sure what time of year you are going, but it offers fantastic views back to the mainland from the gondola.

For the Pacific Rim when driving by on the way to Tofino, be sure to check out the Goats on the Roof in Coombs if you want a kitsch local institution. If you happen to hit lunch time, Cuckoo Trattoria is fantastic! Further along the way to Port Alberni (gateway to the Pacific Rim) is Cathedral Grove. 100% not to be missed. Easiest old growth forest to access, magical if it's not too busy.

Also consider Ucluelet as an alternative place to stay, just 20 years ago it was basically no more than a fishing village - it is growing, but still my preference to Tofino. Less trendy than Tofino, just a short drive the other way along Hwy 4 (for Tofino turn right, for Ucluelet turn left). An absolute must with a basic level of fitness is the Wild Pacific Trail!!! Not beachy like Pacific Rim Park, but gorgeous nonetheless. Hot Springs Cove would be a great "remote-ish" fly-in that you can easily do from Tofino as a day trip.

Your Victoria itinerary looks spectacular, little room for improvement.

I hope you enjoy your trip - I grew up there and although I no longer wish to live there, it is undeniably one of the world's stunningly beautiful places and it holds a very special place in my heart. Don't hesitate to PM if you have any specific queries.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 12:17 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by nomadic.relief
...Further along the way to Port Alberni (gateway to the Pacific Rim) is Cathedral Grove. 100% not to be missed. Easiest old growth forest to access, magical if it's not too busy.

Also consider Ucluelet as an alternative place to stay, just 20 years ago it was basically no more than a fishing village - it is growing, but still my preference to Tofino. Less trendy than Tofino, just a short drive the other way along Hwy 4 (for Tofino turn right, for Ucluelet turn left). An absolute must with a basic level of fitness is the Wild Pacific Trail!!! Not beachy like Pacific Rim Park, but gorgeous nonetheless. Hot Springs Cove would be a great "remote-ish" fly-in that you can easily do from Tofino as a day trip.....
I second the above. I much prefer Ucluelet, by a huge margin. I always stay in Ucluelet - much less touristy, more quaint and authentic. Never been a fan of Tofino when comparing the two. And Cathedral Gove is spectacular. Check out Clayoquot Wilderness Resort if you are looking for 5 star luxury in an incredible, unique setting. http://www.wildretreat.com
Old Sep 2, 2015, 12:39 pm
B1

Originally Posted by nomadic.relief
My 2 cents. Grew up on the Island - Parksville.

If the Sooke Harbour House is your caliber, skip the Kingfisher Resort in Courtenay - it has become rather tired over the years - and instead consider the Old School House.
I was at the KF a year ago and it was not looking tired. Our room had recently been renovated. The resort has a very popular multi-station spa as well an excellent chef. The guests in general were very pleased. There's a more upscale place in town on the golf course but the KF's waterfront location is unique. The Mount Washington lift goes to an isolated peak with no place to walk to. We did that but went on the other side of the road into the park's high peak wilderness area on great trails. You can also drive past Campbell River down highway 28 into Gold River where there are beautiful coastal sights and mountain access.

Last edited by B1; Sep 6, 2015 at 10:31 am
Old Sep 2, 2015, 6:19 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by Finkface
And Cathedral Gove is spectacular.
Can't believe I forgot about that

As to the goats on the roof, ya, stopped, took a few pictures, but really ....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.