Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ANA R2-D2 Star Wars Dreamliner at YVR Oct 18

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2015, 3:18 pm
Original Poster

ANA R2-D2 Star Wars Dreamliner at YVR Oct 18

The ANA Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner with an R2-D2 Star Wars design is visiting YVR on October 18.

Any thoughts on where to best catch a glimpse if we're in Richmond that Sunday and decide to hop over to the airport for a looksee?
Old Aug 24, 2015, 12:18 pm

Programs: A3*G, AC, IHG Plat AMB
Originally Posted by Jay71
The ANA Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner with an R2-D2 Star Wars design is visiting YVR on October 18.

Any thoughts on where to best catch a glimpse if we're in Richmond that Sunday and decide to hop over to the airport for a looksee?
If they're landing on the north runway, which they likely will, I see a LOT more people these days parking up on the big pile of dirt. You have to drive up toward Iona and you'll see a sort of gate on the left side, just past the farms, that's usually hanging open with some cars parked up there. Never been there myself, but I do want to try it out. When I landed last time there were at least ten cars up there.

Alternatively, there's always people over at the end of the runway down by the new outlet mall. Good for watching landings if they're coming in over Vancouver. If they're landing from the other way, I personally like the jetty at Iona.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 5:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DJ Bitterbarn
If they're landing on the north runway, which they likely will, I see a LOT more people these days parking up on the big pile of dirt. You have to drive up toward Iona and you'll see a sort of gate on the left side, just past the farms, that's usually hanging open with some cars parked up there. Never been there myself, but I do want to try it out. When I landed last time there were at least ten cars up there.

Alternatively, there's always people over at the end of the runway down by the new outlet mall. Good for watching landings if they're coming in over Vancouver. If they're landing from the other way, I personally like the jetty at Iona.
Thanks for the tips.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 4:35 pm

No problem!

I may try it out myself for that day. Something interesting and/or uncommon at YVR, at least.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 12:05 am

Cool, didn't know about that! Might check it out, if in town that weekend.
Old Sep 14, 2015, 11:15 am

Just a bit of an update, if anyone's still considering it:
As part of our Saturday, Barn the Younger and I decided to grab some coffee and watch planes from the dirt pile, only to discover that they've actually closed the gate. I don't quite know why, nor why it was open so long, but the gate itself is now closed.

Which means you need to park in front of the gate.

That being said, from where we sat we didn't get the most spectacular look at the landings (coming in over Vancouver) as I think it was a bit too far down the runway. Coming in from over the strait, though, it should still be good. But you still get great taxi shots that you wouldn't get from the end of the runway.

Also: Lots of people set up with lawn chairs at the end of the runway down by the outlet mall, so there's always that.
Old Sep 14, 2015, 11:46 am

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
Here a picture I took on Saturday, September 15th, late morning, with my camera phone. This was the north runway, with planes landing to the west. You can see the new outlet mall in the background.

No guarantee they'll be landing to the west on the day in question, though.

(And yes, my boy's shirt says "Wing Man" and he has his hands on his ears.)

Old Sep 14, 2015, 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by gglave
Here a picture I took on Saturday, September 15th, late morning, with my camera phone. This was the north runway, with planes landing to the west. You can see the new outlet mall in the background.

No guarantee they'll be landing to the west on the day in question, though.
That's a pretty good spot. Most of the people I see there are just to the right of your photo, parked near your car but chairs right under the flight path.

And (in my very unscientific analysis) the odds of landing to the west are better than landing to the east.
Old Sep 14, 2015, 4:25 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by DJ Bitterbarn
And (in my very unscientific analysis) the odds of landing to the west are better than landing to the east.
In the summer, yes. In the winter, no.

Question is what about the fall? It's a coin toss, really...
Old Sep 15, 2015, 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by gglave
In the summer, yes. In the winter, no.

Question is what about the fall? It's a coin toss, really...
Hmmmm... I prefer eastbound anyway, so looks like winter could be fun. Hopefully.

But it's not like it doesn't take five minutes to drive end to end. So there's that going for it. So long as they don't land on the south runway just to be difficult.....
Old Oct 13, 2015, 4:46 pm
Original Poster

Oh well, looks like we're going to miss this as we're flying back from Vegas that night. I'm assuming it'll be at YVR between 2:55pm and 4:20pm as NH116/115. Someone take some pix.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.