Wiki Posts
Search

YVR Priority Acess

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2015, 5:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC100,DLSilver,ALMVP,Fairmont Platinum
YVR Priority Acess

Online aircananda claims there is a priority security access at YVR but all I ever see there is nexus and a normal lane. Is there something I am missing?
Old Aug 17, 2015, 5:10 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum 1MM, AC SE*100k, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
The only line I use at YVR is the NEXUS line....
Old Aug 17, 2015, 5:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by flydentmnode
Online aircananda claims there is a priority security access at YVR but all I ever see there is nexus and a normal lane. Is there something I am missing?

When I entered the area for International departures for a recent flight, there was a Nexus line AND a priority line. To my great amusement, I was the only person going through the security area at that time and the CATSA agents said "Take your pick".

Domestic security @YVR should only be that pleasant. There are a couple of "lanes" (I often refer to the fake Nexus lane in other posts) but they all end up at the same endpoint with a uniform deciding who from which line they will forward to the scanners.

Rinse. Repeat.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 7:22 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Originally Posted by 24left
When I entered the area for International departures for a recent flight, there was a Nexus line AND a priority line. To my great amusement, I was the only person going through the security area at that time and the CATSA agents said "Take your pick".

Domestic security @YVR should only be that pleasant. There are a couple of "lanes" (I often refer to the fake Nexus lane in other posts) but they all end up at the same endpoint with a uniform deciding who from which line they will forward to the scanners.

Rinse. Repeat.
Right. And all scanners are equally full. And if by some miracle they designate a scanner for Nexus they will fill it anyway with all pax.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 7:31 pm

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Originally Posted by 24left

Rinse. Repeat.
I've always wondered why this can work so well at YVR transborder, and so poorly at YVR everythingelse.

...also, might be time to start a thread, like the LMU one, in which everyone reports what percentage of the Nexus scanners at YVR International Arrivals were 'temporarily out of service'.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 9:08 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Bonvoy LTE
Originally Posted by yvrgary
I've always wondered why this can work so well at YVR transborder, and so poorly at YVR everything else.
It only works at YVR Transborder when the Nexus line is running - due to the different screening process for the Nexus line at the transborder pre-board screening compared to regular line. In the regular line for transborder pre-board screening, you have to take off shoes and belts and all liquids and laptops. In the Nexus line, you can leave your shoes and belt on for the most part.

And the operating times of the Nexus line at YVR transborder is super erratic.

And don't get me started on the Domestic Fastrack lane closing early in the evening... YVR is just not a good airport for Priority security screening IMHO.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 9:26 pm

Programs: AC S100K
Originally Posted by flydentmnode
OP: if you're referring to the domestic side C gates (for AC flights), there are two entrances, NEXUS/Priority and the regular entrance.

The entrance on the left is for both NEXUS and priority, though NEXUS is more prominently labelled. Once past the greeter, there are two lane choices, NEXUS on the left and priority on the right. As others have noted, they often merge again to an agent who will direct you to a lane.

However, from time to time, NEXUS goes straight to its own, painfully slow, scanner. This coupled with the fact that every Tom, Dick and Harry in Vancouver has a NEXUS card, usually means the priority line is a more reliable choice. Choose this line regardless.

(To others here, I say an out of comission exclusive NEXUS lane is to your advantage.)

In my experience the procedure, though different at YVR, is no more time consuming than priority security at YUL or YYZ.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 10:10 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by BlueMilk
.....In my experience the procedure, though different at YVR, is no more time consuming than priority security at YUL or YYZ.
Of course, if one were willing to walk down to the A gates at YVR.....

Absolutely agree with you on YYZ as both it and YVR are my main entry/exit Canadian airports.

YVR notwithstanding....many of us have reported on the beyond-painful Nexus line at YYZ Dom. I've heard everything from "they use that line to train the new screeners" (possible, who knows), to "it depends on the day of the week and time of day you are entering". Also possible.

None of this explains how CATSA and the airports haven't figured out when the increased traffic requires increased open lanes or more staff.

At 5:30 in the morning, the YYZ Nexus Dom lane moves the slowest. Most in line seem to know procedure - laptops and liquids out, belts/shoes off if necessary.

I watch the screeners and they either don't know what they are looking for (sniff an open 5ml tube of toothpaste), or they think everyone in the Nexus line is a potential hazard. I once told a supervisor that anyone who uses that line has already been screened by two governments in order to get the Nexus card in the first place. I'll save the answer for another time.

As for YVR Dom at C, my last 8 adventures in that line were painfully slow and no sign of improvement.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 11:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC100,DLSilver,ALMVP,Fairmont Platinum
Thanks what I was wondering when I travel in the US the Premium Lane is pretty clear. .

As a side not I find in the US that I routinely beat the TSA precheck in the priority lane since they now seam to just randomly give it to anyone not sure how that's a precheck
Old Aug 18, 2015, 12:29 pm

Programs: AC SE*MM, Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Gold, National EE, Sixt Plat, Hz 5*
The last time I went through YVR domestic security it was around 6pm on a Saturday. I recall the nexus and priority line being the same thing. I was told by the agent that I could not access the priority lane without pulling out my nexus card; priority was "closed" so my S100K boarding pass meant nothing.

Whisky tango foxtrot!

So I got out my nexus card but I did not get it! Poor training?
Old Aug 18, 2015, 7:41 pm
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: UA*1K, Marriott Titanium (LTP), Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Jebby_ca
It only works at YVR Transborder when the Nexus line is running - due to the different screening process for the Nexus line at the transborder pre-board screening compared to regular line. In the regular line for transborder pre-board screening, you have to take off shoes and belts and all liquids and laptops. In the Nexus line, you can leave your shoes and belt on for the most part.

And the operating times of the Nexus line at YVR transborder is super erratic.
And don't get me started on their not being a Nexus line at YVR transborder for transiting passengers - either for security or immigration. I asked once if I could move to the Global Entry machines due to a long lineup (GE machines for non-transiting transborder PAX), and was strongly rebuffed for thinking such a thing.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 7:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Absolute
And don't get me started on their not being a Nexus line at YVR transborder for transiting passengers - either for security or immigration. I asked once if I could move to the Global Entry machines due to a long lineup (GE machines for non-transiting transborder PAX), and was strongly rebuffed for thinking such a thing.
Just don't go that way as a transit passenger
Old Aug 18, 2015, 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by Absolute
Your mistake was asking. Nexus includes Global Entry.

http://www.cbp.gov/travel/trusted-tr...l-entry-kiosks
Old Aug 18, 2015, 7:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by BlueMilk
Your mistake was asking. Nexus includes Global Entry.

http://www.cbp.gov/travel/trusted-tr...l-entry-kiosks
You misunderstand. The transit path spits you out on the other side of the immigration hall, and you have no access to the GE machines without going through a couple barriers.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 8:17 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow
You misunderstand. The transit path spits you out on the other side of the immigration hall, and you have no access to the GE machines without going through a couple barriers.
Well that's too silly to be true...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.