Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

New Canada Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Canada Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2015, 5:25 am

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
Exclamation

Originally Posted by jerryhung
Hmm, I'm now confused
I believe one needed VISA to transfer in Canada anyway, before this eTA, no?
eTA is meant to shorten and money-grab, and make pre-arrival screening easier, just like ESTA?
I can (hopefully) clear up the confusion.........the eTA does not apply to nationals of countries who do not already need a visa. It also does not apply to US nationals!

I agree with your conclusion that this is nothing more than a money grab and I also agree with those who say this is bad news for AC. However, I did not hear AC object in any way? Clearly, this complicates AC's plans to make YYZ a major transit hub. AC made a big deal when Ontario imposed a jet fuel tax and yet this one has more immediate impact on passengers. Go figure!
Old Sep 20, 2015, 2:03 am

Programs: AC-SE100K MM, BA-S HH-D, MB-G LT Sil, IHG-Plt, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by tgv2
Is there any advantage of getting an EtA for travel between now and 03-2016?
The only advantage I can see is that you will know well in advance that you are eligible to travel to Canada. Having an eTA before making hotel/flight bookings might be a good idea.
--
13F
Old Sep 20, 2015, 3:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Wait, do I need this as a non-citizen/non-PR, but a resident with a valid visa?
Old Sep 20, 2015, 7:07 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Seat13F_AC_CRJ
The only advantage I can see is that you will know well in advance that you are eligible to travel to Canada.
ETAs can be voided by Canada even after the ETA has already been issued and/or used. And just because someone with an issued ETA makes it to Canada doesn't mean they will be admitted on arrival on this or future trips even when there is no proof of any immigration or customs violation.
Old Sep 20, 2015, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by mkjr
Just another tax that will result in more retaliation against Canadians in their travels….i find this as annoying to those visiting as I find the Australian entry tax as a Canadian annoying.
There is no entry tax-the ETA can be obtained for free through a GDS (using the TIETAR command.)
(I know it can be done through Amadeus/Galileo/Abacus at the very least by an IATA accredited agent.)
Old Sep 20, 2015, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Smiley90
Wait, do I need this as a non-citizen/non-PR, but a resident with a valid visa?
I don't think so as the visa allows you entry in and of itself.
Old Sep 20, 2015, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Antonio8069
I can (hopefully) clear up the confusion.........the eTA does not apply to nationals of countries who do not already need a visa. It also does not apply to US nationals!

I agree with your conclusion that this is nothing more than a money grab and I also agree with those who say this is bad news for AC. However, I did not hear AC object in any way? Clearly, this complicates AC's plans to make YYZ a major transit hub. AC made a big deal when Ontario imposed a jet fuel tax and yet this one has more immediate impact on passengers. Go figure!
Of course-it's difficult to object to the government when they are protecting your ar$e from competition (EK/EY/QR slot restrictions) and disgruntled employees/trade unions...
Old Sep 20, 2015, 10:17 am

Originally Posted by Antonio8069
the eTA does not apply to nationals of countries who do not already need a visa.
Sadly, you are incorrect.

"Starting March 15, 2016, visa-exempt foreign nationals who fly to or transit through Canada will need an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA). Exceptions include U.S. citizens and travellers with a valid visa."

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/transit.asp

Last edited by sokolov; Sep 20, 2015 at 10:23 am
Old Sep 20, 2015, 2:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Exec Club, LH Miles & More, AF/KLM Flying Blue, Le Club Accorhotels, Tesco Clubcard
Originally Posted by sokolov
Sadly, you are incorrect.

"Starting March 15, 2016, visa-exempt foreign nationals who fly to or transit through Canada will need an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA). Exceptions include U.S. citizens and travellers with a valid visa."

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/transit.asp
Yes - Antonio8069 is quite incorrect. I have applied for and been issued with an ETA and am a British Citizen.
Old Nov 29, 2015, 2:28 am

Programs: Marco Polo
ETA

So I tried to help my dad apply for this new ETA thing.

Problem is -- he did apply for Canadian PR 10 years ago but he decided not to take it up. I can't find his client ID (UCI). I am tempted to just leave this blank because it's such a Long time ago....

Any thoughts on this? I find this form so intrusive compared to the US ESTA form. So complicated too.

Can you imagine being a student in Canada 10 years ago and being asked to pull up your client identification number just to get this ETA???
Old Nov 30, 2015, 8:50 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
There is no entry tax-the ETA can be obtained for free through a GDS (using the TIETAR command.)
(I know it can be done through Amadeus/Galileo/Abacus at the very least by an IATA accredited agent.)
I doubt that most passengers visiting or transiting Canada are going to be able to find an IATA accredited agent who is able and willing to do this Canadian electronic visa for free for them. Much the same as went for Australian ETA users.
Old Dec 3, 2015, 12:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Exec Club, LH Miles & More, AF/KLM Flying Blue, Le Club Accorhotels, Tesco Clubcard
Originally Posted by foiegrass
So I tried to help my dad apply for this new ETA thing.

Problem is -- he did apply for Canadian PR 10 years ago but he decided not to take it up. I can't find his client ID (UCI). I am tempted to just leave this blank because it's such a Long time ago....

Any thoughts on this? I find this form so intrusive compared to the US ESTA form. So complicated too.

Can you imagine being a student in Canada 10 years ago and being asked to pull up your client identification number just to get this ETA???
This is exactly my situation and what I had to do. I had to root through my old passports and study permits for the info, despite having finished studying in Canada 10 years ago and having visited without issue at least once per year (sometimes twice) since then.

A colleague of mine held PR over there as a child and has had (and I think is still having) issues in securing an ETA. I think she is on the verge of just not bothering any more, which is sad.

But I agree - much as I very much respect Canada's right to protect its borders the form seems overly complicated and intrusive for what is supposed to be "visa-free travel" - indeed I would argue it calls into question this very notion.
Old Dec 3, 2015, 3:09 am
Suspended

So dual-citizens of the US can't apply for a Canadian ETA? CIC says you can't apply for an ETA if you are a US citizen. So what is a dual-citizen of the US and UK to do if visiting Canada with a British passport but having no US passport?

I find it sort of amusing how Canada wants evisas from citizens of the country with the same head of state as Canada.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.