Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why is YVR immigration such jerks?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2015, 11:06 am

Programs: AS
Originally Posted by aviationp
Anybody who complains about Canadian immigration officers need to go to the USA once and see how they treat their visitors.
Finally, someone said it. I see that a lot of the responses on here are from US citizens/residents. As a Canadian, I have run the gamut of questioning when I cross into the USA, as I do often. Do they question me hard sometimes? Yes. Does it feel uncomfortable sometimes? Yes. But I know the officer may have a variety of reasons to go down a particular line of questioning, and after it's complete, I know he's just doing his/her job to protect their country.
Old Sep 20, 2015, 11:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mkjr
I wish. They were small but only because they were babies but invasive species intended to be bread at restaurants.
I guess people really hate carbs nowadays!
Old Sep 21, 2015, 5:47 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by kyden
Finally, someone said it. I see that a lot of the responses on here are from US citizens/residents. As a Canadian, I have run the gamut of questioning when I cross into the USA, as I do often.
There is a difference. Most Canadians understand when going into the U.S. that they are asking permission from a foreign country to allow them in.

Meanwhile too many 'Muricans believe Canada is the 51st state and that Customs and Immigration should be the Welcome Wagon with a basket of goodies and a warm smile. Think of it as an entire population afflicted with DYKWIA syndrome.

And it's always a laugher when one of them doesn't declare their concealed handgun. They quickly learn that their 2nd Amendment doesn't apply and now qualify for taxpayer-funded meals and accommodation that you don't find on Trip Advisor.
Old Sep 27, 2015, 7:23 am

Programs: UA Gold, DL Silver, Hertz PC, Avis Pref+, Accor Silver
I think this once again comes down to the approach the country decides to take. On the one hand you have the US, Canada and Australia who are extremely strict.

On the other hand - most countries in Europe, for example, will admit you following an interview that lasts no longer than stamping your (non-EEC in my case) passport.

Do more scammers (illegal immigrants/workers) enter Europe than Canada ? Probably... OTOH, do the stricter immigration/customs procedures have a real impact on people's travel plans ? Definitely.... I, for example, make an effort to avoid US/Canadian transit as I know that I need to allow for 4 hours+ to account for delays at entry.

Originally Posted by DJ Bitterbarn
My former neighbour works immigration at YVR. The guy is genuinely motivated about his job and I can see he wants to help people out, but he's also supremely jaded about his job simply because of the outright lies people tell. I don't have specific stories, but he really did say that the worst part was dealing with the people who were clearly there to scam the system.
Old Sep 27, 2015, 4:20 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by dand99
I think this once again comes down to the approach the country decides to take. On the one hand you have the US, Canada and Australia who are extremely strict.

On the other hand - most countries in Europe, for example, will admit you following an interview that lasts no longer than stamping your (non-EEC in my case) passport.

Do more scammers (illegal immigrants/workers) enter Europe than Canada ? Probably... OTOH, do the stricter immigration/customs procedures have a real impact on people's travel plans ? Definitely.... I, for example, make an effort to avoid US/Canadian transit as I know that I need to allow for 4 hours+ to account for delays at entry.
Yes, but this is because neither USA or Canada has sterile international-to-international transits, so not really a fair comparison to transiting a European airport. If you are talking about transiting to a domestic US/Canada destination, well then you have no choice in it anyway.
Old Nov 20, 2015, 6:29 am

Programs: BA Silver; IHG Spire; Avis P+; Global Entry
Originally Posted by Wpgjetse
Try entering the US with a different passport. You will find them not as friendly.
+1
Old Nov 28, 2015, 11:44 pm

Originally Posted by flyingcrazy
I must admit getting a train from Paris to Glasgow (Scotland) to catch a flight to Canada is unusual. If you were flying from London she probably wouldnt have been bothered.

Its like me getting a train from Boston to Toronto then telling Canadian immigration I want to get a train to Yellowknife to catch a flight back to the UK.

My point however is that the US/Canada border agencies are always so aggressive and smug which is so unnecessary. Im there to spend my tourist money not to live there! Im perfectly happy in my house here thank you very much US/Canadian border agencies!

Was watching a tv programme about Canada Border Security and the CBSA agent was a female of asian origin. She was refusing entry to a Japanese gentlemen and was smirking and seemed so pleased with herself about it! Even though she herself was obviously of an immigrant background! That just irked me. Its hypocritical.
This made me chuckle. Reminded me of when I went with my Canadian husband in London England to convert his "temporary leave to remain" into a "indefinite leave to remain" (i.e. permanent residency) and our interview was carried out by a lady of Pakistan origin with an accent so thick she was barely understandable. On the subject of rude customs people, we find those on the Canadian border so much worse than when returning to the UK. I have always assumed it is because they have never themselves travelled to European destinations and are copying their next door neighbours surly attitude towards people wishing to come and spend money in their country!

Last edited by Chatogal; Nov 28, 2015 at 11:54 pm
Old Dec 2, 2015, 4:44 pm

Entered YVR from the U-S last month, and they couldn't have been nicer...or more efficient. Same at Billy Bishop (YTZ). Montreal have not always been so friendly, even though I have spoken to them in French and Franglais.
Old Dec 2, 2015, 7:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Chatogal
This made me chuckle. Reminded me of when I went with my Canadian husband in London England to convert his "temporary leave to remain" into a "indefinite leave to remain" (i.e. permanent residency) and our interview was carried out by a lady of Pakistan origin with an accent so thick she was barely understandable. On the subject of rude customs people, we find those on the Canadian border so much worse than when returning to the UK. I have always assumed it is because they have never themselves travelled to European destinations and are copying their next door neighbours surly attitude towards people wishing to come and spend money in their country!
On the other hand, they may very well have...
Old Dec 4, 2015, 8:53 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by flyingcrazy

Was watching a tv programme about Canada Border Security and the CBSA agent was a female of asian origin. She was refusing entry to a Japanese gentlemen and was smirking and seemed so pleased with herself about it! Even though she herself was obviously of an immigrant background! That just irked me. Its hypocritical.
Aren't most people in Canada obviously of an immigrant background? Yes.

Ethnic minorities working in pasport control type positions tend to ask more questions even of co-national ethnic minorities than those of ethnic majority/plurality backgrounds ask co-national ethnic minorities. This dynamic is observable in many OECD countries. Some of it has to do with ethnic minorities in these positions being relatively more common amongst the younger employees than the older employees in these positions, but that may not explain all of this dynamic. Also, ethnic minority females in these positions tend to slow down co-national, ethnic minority males down more than they slow down co-national ethnic majority males.

If wanting a better immigration processing experience, go for the older employees as they tend to make less fuss for no good reason. This holds true for YVR as well.

My experiences at YVR have been ok. It's at YYZ and YUL where there are a select few whom I don't mind not getting.
Old Dec 10, 2015, 2:20 pm

ive only had good experiences with Canada immigration
Old Jan 1, 2016, 2:39 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by GUWonder
If wanting a better immigration processing experience, go for the older employees as they tend to make less fuss for no good reason. This holds true for YVR as well.

My experiences at YVR have been ok. It's at YYZ and YUL where there are a select few whom I don't mind not getting.
And I suggest older males.
Old Jan 1, 2016, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
I think I had the shortest Immigration interaction of my last 6 years as an Immigrant to Canada a few days ago, at YUL

"Good morning"
"Good morning"
-looks at documents-
"what's your legal status in Canada"
"student"
-keeps looking-
"have a good day"

and off I went

Pretty sure that's a personal best. usually they ask me what and where I study, not sure if that's out of curiosity or if they have to ask to see if it sounds like I'm lying, but... that was surprisingly short lol.
Old Jan 2, 2016, 3:24 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by mapleg
And I suggest older males.
The older employees' ranks tend to have a much higher proportion of males than females.
Old Jan 2, 2016, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Smiley90
Pretty sure that's a personal best. usually they ask me what and where I study, not sure if that's out of curiosity or if they have to ask to see if it sounds like I'm lying, but... that was surprisingly short lol.
On student visas, sometimes, one condition is that you must notify them if you change schools, if your visa allows it (and, if it's your first time, to ensure that your declaration at the border is consistent with your visa application.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.