Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why is YVR immigration such jerks?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2015, 7:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DirtyDan
Confirming they are nasty to Canadians too; there are no "travellers" only potential smugglers.
I guess they forgot the "for the people" part of government.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 7:26 am

Programs: FT
Originally Posted by s0ssos
I guess they forgot the "for the people" part of government.
With all due respect, you can not possibly think that our border services agents are for the people. Frankly, I have actually enjoyed their focus on security these days versus the old days when they used to care more about being tax collectors.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 11:02 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
For sure there are surly agents out there, but I'm surprised by the experiences of people in this thread. Like all law enforcement officers I expect customs and immigration officials to be a little bit suspicious and not at all friendly. I have never had a CBSA agent be actually unnecessarily rude to me, just generally cold and unfriendly. This is in line with what I see from police officers across North America.

I have had US CBP officers grill me on trivial details of my travel plans many times, I don't consider it to be "jerk" behaviour unless they are shouting or something. It's their right to ask whatever they want.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 1:21 pm

Programs: United 1K, AC 50K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriot Platinum
They grill you, like you are being interrogated.

I don't know if "no-nonsense" means rapid-fire questions. I also don't get why it is "doing their job".
This is an interesting from a civil liberties perspective. On the one hand the rapid fire questions are a useful tool to try and catch people who have something to hide and who therefore should either not be allowed entry or should be prevented from bringing in something that they shouldn't. On the other hand, what civil rights do citizens or non-citizens have when entering (or leaving) a country? Is there a line that border agents cannot cross?
Old Jul 31, 2015, 7:34 pm

Some of them have ego problems from being on the Border Security TV show. Some of them have attitude problems from not being on the show.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 7:45 am

Programs: UA Gold, DL Silver, Hertz PC, Avis Pref+, Accor Silver
North American immigration (CBSA and CBP) are notoriously tough/unpleasant/thorough/rude/dedicated (circle the one you believe most appropriate).

I have been to about 1/4 of the world (at least that's what my tripadvisor country counter says ) and there is nowhere I have seen where the immigration "process" is comparable, with the possible exception of Sri Lanka...
YMMV and I have been waved through within seconds at times, but I have also had my life story and my luggage picked through in details quite a few times

Without going into the reasons why this is so, and whether or not the reasons justify the process, I view it this way:
You want to visit the US and/or Canada. It's their border and if they want to conduct a cavity search - or have you juggle clubs - or sing a song - they are justified in saying that if you don't like it you have a choice - not to visit. And it seems like most of us find it worthwhile putting up with it.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 6:40 pm

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
North American English is a major contributing factor. In countries where they can't really hold an extended conversation (interrogation), there's no opportunity to be impressively rude. But when US and Canadian residents cross into the other country, or even outsiders coming in, they can really talk. Not the case in Europe or Asia.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 8:45 pm

Programs: VA, SQ, IHG, HH,ALL, Europcar
I have been watching the TV show and yes I would have to agree with the attitude, BUT how often is their hunch correct.

I entered Canada at Douglas way back in 1992, I had flown into Seattle and had at the back of my mind to head to YVR. It was raining in Seattle so I did it. At the booth I was directed to Immigration.

I was 32 and travelling on an Australian Passport.

I found the grilling quite mean but fair, and it did not take long before I had a 3 month visitors visa in my passport. However once that occured the agent became a different person, very friendly, asking about my travels, and did I need information on where to stay and what to do in YVR.

Again if you have nothing to hide - nothing to fear
Old Aug 3, 2015, 9:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by adampenrith
Again if you have nothing to hide - nothing to fear
I don't think you quite understand the concept of "freedom".

So I went through the land crossing back to the US. To the poster who said they can refuse you entry-not really. It is pretty hard to refuse a US citizen entry to the US.

But I guess land immigration border officers are always meaner than air ones, except YVR entering Canada. And that is surprising to me. I don't recall if other Canadian airports are the same.

Air entry into the US is quite friendly, actually. They usually end with a "Welcome home" (maybe that is in their protocol) and they say it with a smile (which seems genuine). The land crossing had no such thing.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 11:41 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
I don't think you quite understand the concept of "freedom".

So I went through the land crossing back to the US. To the poster who said they can refuse you entry-not really. It is pretty hard to refuse a US citizen entry to the US.

But I guess land immigration border officers are always meaner than air ones, except YVR entering Canada. And that is surprising to me. I don't recall if other Canadian airports are the same.

Air entry into the US is quite friendly, actually. They usually end with a "Welcome home" (maybe that is in their protocol) and they say it with a smile (which seems genuine). The land crossing had no such thing.
You mean Blaine, WA? That's notorious among Canadians for harassing people on TN visas. Everyone has a different perspective.

Originally Posted by HkCaGu
North American English is a major contributing factor. In countries where they can't really hold an extended conversation (interrogation), there's no opportunity to be impressively rude. But when US and Canadian residents cross into the other country, or even outsiders coming in, they can really talk. Not the case in Europe or Asia.
I've travelled all around the world for hiking/mountaineering. I've got pretty good gestures to explain both to non English-speaking immigration officers.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 1:57 am

Originally Posted by dand99
with the possible exception of Sri Lanka...
Not trying to Hijack the thread!

...but could you elaborate on that? I understand there's visa on arrival and/or prior arrangements. Would you say it's a better idea to obtain visas beforehand or was your comment unrelated to this? Going in Feb, that's why I'm interested.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 9:08 am

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
The main issue with all of these threads is people inevitably start to compare their experiences as a citizen entering their own country with their experiences as a non-citizen entering another country.

Obviously there are exceptions (Canadians hassled entering at YVR, Americans hassled entering the USA at the Peace Arch), but by and large these are apples-to-oranges comparisons.

As a Canadian, I've entered Canada at YVR hundreds of times. Never once encountered rudeness. Firmness? Sure, but always professional. By contrast, I've been shouted at and been threatened with arrest as a Canadian trying to enter the USA.

However, as I said, these aren't reasonable comparisons.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 11:22 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
The people working immigration. They're worse than the TSA. I thought Canadians were supposed to be friendly, or is the government just like the US?
Agents trained by US government? If you think they are worse than US agents, you should be a Canadian crossing your border.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 11:27 am
Suspended

They grill you, like you are being interrogated.

I guess I don't know what it is like being a non-citizen and going through US immigration. But in Europe and Asia immigration is never that bad.

I don't know if "no-nonsense" means rapid-fire questions. I also don't get why it is "doing their job".
Because a lot of Sh?t come through YVR crossing. Rapid fire questions is most likely the best way to catch someone lying.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 11:29 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by justforfun
Agreed. Some of my worst immigration experiences have been at YVR.
Try YVR USA agents. Make Canadian agent sound friendly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.