Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

Best Dim Sum in Vancouver Chinatown

Old Jul 20, 2015, 10:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA blue, LH Senator, KQ (FB) gold

OK. I know everyone says the best dim sum isn't in Chinatown. That doesn't help me, because I will be in Chinatown and want dim sum. So, given this restriction, does anyone have any suggestions!

Thanks!
Old Jul 21, 2015, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Authentic Cantonese/H.K. or open to something else? If the latter, I always wanted to try this place:

http://bao-bei.ca/menu/dinner/

As you must know, the old Chinatown in the east end has been dying for years.
Old Jul 21, 2015, 12:15 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
If the latter, I always wanted to try this place:

http://bao-bei.ca/menu/dinner/
Bao-Bei is an amazing restaurant with great food (get there by 5:20pm on the Weekend, by 5:40 it's full) but it's by no means Dim-Sum.
Old Jul 21, 2015, 12:22 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by You want to go where?
OK. I know everyone says the best dim sum isn't in Chinatown. That doesn't help me, because I will be in Chinatown and want dim sum. So, given this restriction, does anyone have any suggestions!
Floata is one option:

http://www.floata.com/

Not fantastic, but in the heart of Chinatown and certainly acceptable Dim Sum.

Pink Pearl is better, but it's about a 15 minute walk from Chinatown proper, so not sure if that meets your criteria.

http://www.pinkpearl.com/

...and I have to put in a plug for my fave: Sun Sui Wah

http://www.yelp.ca/biz/sun-sui-wah-s...nt-vancouver-2

Not in Chinatown at all, but a pleasant 45 minute walk from Chinatown, 15 minute bus ride on the #3, or 10-minute cab ride.

http://tinyurl.com/p893f5w

It's downhill back to Chinatown, so you could cab / bus there and walk back.

...but like I said, if you're keen on Chinatown proper I'd say the Floata is your best option.

Last edited by gglave; Jul 21, 2015 at 12:35 pm
Old Jul 21, 2015, 6:25 pm

Nothing I'd whole heartedly recommend in Chinatown.

Agree Floata's likely the best default option.

If OP wants to try a spin of randomness, I'll suggest Garden Villa Seafood. I haven't had dim sum there in ages. We had dinner there like a year ago and it was decent (but good dinner doesn't necessarily translates to good dim sum).

I used to really like Pink Pearl ages ago but I think they've really gone downhill. If someone forces me to go, I'll go but it's typically not a consideration. I don't think it's worth the hike out here vs just finding a place in Chinatown.

Agree Sun Sui Wah is a good choice if OP is willing to trek out of Chinatown.
Another (pricy'ish) option in the opposite direction in downtown is Kirin.

If we're stretching out of downtown, I'll mention my current fav: Western Lake on Victoria and 34th. The waits are killer though.
Old Jul 21, 2015, 7:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA blue, LH Senator, KQ (FB) gold
Thanks for all the suggestions. As it turns out, I've come down with a nasty little stomach bug, so I don't think I'll be doing anything for a while, but I hope I can use the advice in the near future.
Old Jul 21, 2015, 11:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jay71
If we're stretching out of downtown, I'll mention my current fav: Western Lake on Victoria and 34th. The waits are killer though.
I lived just 2 blocks away from it for a decade and used to pass by all the time, but never went..
Old Jul 22, 2015, 10:53 am

I lived just 2 blocks away from it for a decade and used to pass by all the time, but never went..
I'd suggest giving it a try when you get a chance if convenient.

My inlaws had originally suggested this place and I was pretty skeptical at first but it's very good quality (not spectacular) at a very good price (and generally pretty consistent). It's gotten really popular over the last few years so if you arrive during peak times on the weekend you'll likely end up queuing for close to an hour. Even with a reservation, you may queue for about 15-20mins (Chinese restaurants and reservations... ). Best bets are weekdays or weekends right at opening.
Old May 1, 2016, 11:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Went to Western Lake on Saturday morning with former neighbours who live a 5 minute walk away, went as I had a second recommendation from a H.K. immigrant acquaintance.. Have to say that given all that, I was underwhlemed by the quality. It was good but not great.

Char siu pao (steamed BBQ pork buns) dough was too wet and not very good. Filling was very nice.

Steam rice rolls with prawns were o.k. - the rice dough was tasteless.

Siu mais (pork and shrimp steamed "dumplings") where huge but not very elegant. Good but not great taste.

The har gaos (steam prawn dumplings) were pretty good. Again very large.

It'd seem the cook-to-order food is a bit better *deep-fried tofu) but the spicy sauteed beans with pork was a bit unimpressive.

Still very crowded though.

Could have been an off day. Went to a Kowloon dim sum place in late March. Was great the 1st day so we went back the next, and quality for our 4 staples were middling.
Old May 9, 2016, 11:17 pm

Sun Sui Wah is a must try but expensive and so too Kirin (which has branches across Vancouver now).
Old May 10, 2016, 10:33 am

Went to Western Lake on Saturday morning with former neighbours who live a 5 minute walk away, went as I had a second recommendation from a H.K. immigrant acquaintance.. Have to say that given all that, I was underwhlemed by the quality. It was good but not great.

<snip>
Oh no, I feel bad about the recommendation!

Got to say though, I've been trying other places to try and find an alternative to avoid the lines but haven't found anything comparable from a price/quality perspective. The search continues though!
Old May 10, 2016, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by Jay71
Oh no, I feel bad about the recommendation!

Got to say though, I've been trying other places to try and find an alternative to avoid the lines but haven't found anything comparable from a price/quality perspective. The search continues though!
There is always a good reason for a lineup or lack of one at a dim sum restaurant.
Old May 10, 2016, 4:07 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by YVR55
Sun Sui Wah is a must try but expensive and so too Kirin (which has branches across Vancouver now).
I second Sun Sui Wah. I've been to their Vancouver and Richmond location.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.