Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

restaurants or cocktails bars near Fairmont Hotel Toronto?

Old Jul 10, 2015, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum

I was just wondering whether anyone can recommend some nice restaurants and/or cocktail bars near the Fairmont Hotel Toronto?

In terms of restaurants: it doesn't have to be anything fancy, instead I'm looking for a pleasant and relaxing place where one can have some dinner and a few glasses of wine in a pleasant atmosphere (preferably without spending a fortune).

The Library Bar at the Royal York is great IMO, but I was wondering whether there are any nice (and maybe slightly cheaper) alternatives. Maybe a rooftop bar?
Old Jul 10, 2015, 5:07 pm

I'd suggest walking a few blocks up towards King St. There's a few options in the vicinity:

- Los Colibris (King & Simcoe) Upscale but reasonably priced Mexican food with a decent cocktail selection. They have a sister place with a patio (El Patio) around the back.
- Pizzeria Libretto (University & Pearl) Very good neapolitan-style pizza, decent cocktails. No patio.
- Pai (Ed Mirvish Way, north of King) Excellent thai food. Casual atmosphere, can be very busy at peak dinner hours. Has a small patio.
- Earl's (King & Univeristy) Chain, probably nothing special to you, but has a nice large patio.
Old Jul 12, 2015, 4:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions!^ Not a big fan of Thai food, but definitely look into the first two options.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 12:03 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Richmond Station (Yonge & Richmond) is a favourite of mine close to the Financial District. Second the recommendation for Libretto, which I love, but be warned that it does get quite noisy in there. Canoe (in the TD tower) is tops for Financial District dining, but pricey ($50+/person).
Old Jul 13, 2015, 4:37 am

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
Jasper, why not eat @ The Library Bar? That is where we went for the YYZ DO and the place was great!

If you are eating dinner (not just cocktails), I recommend booking a table at the CN Tower rest. Price fixe. starts @ $65. Incl. complimentary tix. to the top:

http://www.cntower.ca/site_Files/Con...inner_Menu.pdf
Old Jul 13, 2015, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Antonio8069
Jasper, why not eat @ The Library Bar? That is where we went for the YYZ DO and the place was great!

If you are eating dinner (not just cocktails), I recommend booking a table at the CN Tower rest. Price fixe. starts @ $65. Incl. complimentary tix. to the top:

http://www.cntower.ca/site_Files/Con...inner_Menu.pdf
I agree, both the Library Bar and the CN Tower are good options (have done both; though the CN Tower restaurant is more about the experience/view than the food IMO), I was just wondering whether there are any other good options.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 11:45 am

Programs: AC, Bonvoy, HH
If you don't mind a little walk (10 minutes) head up to York and Richmond for Volos, a Greek place. Great food.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 11:53 am

Programs: FT
just my 2 cents but cheap bar and downtown seem to be at odds but then again, i actually don't like the library bar and find it about 15 to 20 years to old. just like most of the royal york honestly.

a few patios since rooftop places are not near the royal york....other than a small sliver at the trup but that place is not cheap and a little douchey last i was there.

patio here is good...http://www.drakeonefifty.ca/ decent although a little hipster. pizza's are a decent option.

also, O&B patio is also nice....as is Jump's patio (same owners)

http://oliverbonacini.com/Yonge-Front.aspx

i was at this place the other day but i was pretty sloshed but food seemed decent. don't know how much sun the patio gets during the day but at night, it was fun.

http://www.socokitchenandbar.ca/

i think the closest rooftop place but so so food is

http://gretzkys.com/wayne-gretzkys-t...rooftop-patio/

and frankly, it feels a little like university.

ki and bymark are also near but i don't think either of them fit for budget but both have nice patio areas when you can drink on anothers dime....i would add the chase in this category also.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions!^

Ki (I assume you mean Ki Japanese Restaurant?) looks like a good option and prices aren't ridiculous. The Bymark and the Chase seem a little pricey.

I'm not too concerned about prices, but it's nice once in a while paying ~$10 instead of >$15 per cocktail. Same applies to wine: There are plenty of good restaurants where one pays ~$8-$10 for a decent glass of wine; at $15/glass it's less fun going out.

I realize Toronto can be expensive and I don't expect any bargains on a Fri/Sat night, but sometimes there are some really good deals (e.g. 50% most food and drinks at the Fairmont Santa Monica before 6p.m.; I know I've gone off-topic, but you get the idea).

Last edited by Jasper2009; Jul 13, 2015 at 12:32 pm
Old Jul 13, 2015, 3:08 pm
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
I drank for very low prices at Speak-Easy 21 near the Trump Hotel.... but I never figured out if it was due to a special or due to bartender punching in wrong items. The Wine Bar inside First Canadian Place was ok. Not sure if these places are really open on weekends
Old Jul 13, 2015, 3:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ABG
I drank for very low prices at Speak-Easy 21 near the Trump Hotel.... but I never figured out if it was due to a special or due to bartender punching in wrong items.
It must have been one heck of a special since cocktails are $15 according to the website. Maybe the bartender had a few drinks himself.
Old Jul 14, 2015, 7:31 am

Originally Posted by Jasper2009
Thanks for the suggestions!^

Ki (I assume you mean Ki Japanese Restaurant?) looks like a good option and prices aren't ridiculous. The Bymark and the Chase seem a little pricey.

I'm not too concerned about prices, but it's nice once in a while paying ~$10 instead of >$15 per cocktail. Same applies to wine: There are plenty of good restaurants where one pays ~$8-$10 for a decent glass of wine; at $15/glass it's less fun going out.

I realize Toronto can be expensive and I don't expect any bargains on a Fri/Sat night, but sometimes there are some really good deals (e.g. 50% most food and drinks at the Fairmont Santa Monica before 6p.m.; I know I've gone off-topic, but you get the idea).
yes. Ki is the place i noted although on Friday/Saturday it's kind of quiet. ...most in YYZ go out on Thursday nights. I am almost always home on Friday and almost never go out with colleagues on either Friday or Saturday night. The patio should be ok still on Friday at Ki. I know what you mean. I get pitchers of Sapporo at this place http://zakkushi.com/raijin/ during the summer between S-Th for 9.99....
Old Jul 14, 2015, 12:30 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, A3*G, GE
Originally Posted by eigenvector
Second the recommendation for Libretto, which I love, but be warned that it does get quite noisy in there. Canoe (in the TD tower) is tops for Financial District dining, but pricey ($50+/person).
Libretto has a patio now, but I agree it does get noisy - it's also always packed during the week, so you need patience to get in.

Canoe is pricey for dining, but it's a great spot just for a drink. Service is very friendly and drink prices are not necessarily higher than in other spots in the area. The view is priceless.

Ki... oh well. They have decent sushi, otherwise, it's a meat market and not a good one IMHO.

Good options for reasonably priced (and good) food are Moxie's on Wellington (even though it's a chain), canteen in the TIFF Bell Lightbox on King, Mercatto and the Gabardine on Bay.

Italian options with reasonable wine prices are Gusto 101 on Portland (and King) or, if you go East, Uncle Tony's on Wellington just East of Yonge. Around the corner from there is Origin with delicious food and a nice patio, if you are inside, don't expect to be able to hold a conversation due to the loud music (same as in Drake 150 that someone else mentioned).

You may want to check out the revitalized harbourfront area. If so, Amsterdam brewhouse is not a bad option, even better if you like craft beer.

I personally like the places out of the direct Union station vicinity better, King/Queen/Dundas West of Bathurst, or East of Church. Ossington has some fun places. A good option a little closer by with a nice patio is the Queen Mother Cafe on Queen, just West of University.
Old Jul 14, 2015, 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by Ontario
Libretto has a patio now, but I agree it does get noisy - it's also always packed during the week, so you need patience to get in.

Canoe is pricey for dining, but it's a great spot just for a drink. Service is very friendly and drink prices are not necessarily higher than in other spots in the area. The view is priceless.

Ki... oh well. They have decent sushi, otherwise, it's a meat market and not a good one IMHO.

Good options for reasonably priced (and good) food are Moxie's on Wellington (even though it's a chain), canteen in the TIFF Bell Lightbox on King, Mercatto and the Gabardine on Bay.

Italian options with reasonable wine prices are Gusto 101 on Portland (and King) or, if you go East, Uncle Tony's on Wellington just East of Yonge. Around the corner from there is Origin with delicious food and a nice patio, if you are inside, don't expect to be able to hold a conversation due to the loud music (same as in Drake 150 that someone else mentioned).

You may want to check out the revitalized harbourfront area. If so, Amsterdam brewhouse is not a bad option, even better if you like craft beer.

I personally like the places out of the direct Union station vicinity better, King/Queen/Dundas West of Bathurst, or East of Church. Ossington has some fun places. A good option a little closer by with a nice patio is the Queen Mother Cafe on Queen, just West of University.
given you mentioned Uncle Tony's on Wellington, we clearly have diametrically opposed ideas of what OP wants.

same for the other locations in areas that i choose not to venture to but hey, that is fine.
Old Jul 14, 2015, 2:39 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, A3*G, GE
Originally Posted by mkjr
given you mentioned Uncle Tony's on Wellington, we clearly have diametrically opposed ideas of what OP wants.

same for the other locations in areas that i choose not to venture to but hey, that is fine.
The OP wanted a "decent glass of wine ideally around 8-10$" - not many places offer that option. Uncle Tony's is not Italian fine dining and certainly doesn't offer a rooftop - I agree with you on that.

I also don't venture to places on Bremner - if I can avoid it. It's a good thing people have different preferences :-)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.