Search

Newfoundland vs Nova Scotia

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2015, 4:37 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco
Original Poster

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
Newfoundland vs Nova Scotia

We have about 2 weeks in mid August - plus or minus a day or 2 - to travel and we're debating Nova Scotia vs Newfoundland/ We know we are planning late but we couldn't commit till now. I know flights will be expensive from SFO.

ALL that said we are leaning towards NL as it seems a tiny bit wilder and unexpected with exciting wildlife without having to do a LOT of hiking Any advice on how to choose between the two provinces?
Old Jun 21, 2015, 8:34 pm

I'm headed to Newfoundland next week from NYC. Never been to either, but I'd look into costs for car rental and lodging availability in NL in August if I were you. From what I've read, there may actually be no more cars left to rent on the island if you haven't reserved one yet. Nova Scotia may be easier to plan last minute (which I realize it's not, yet, but things seem to book up early in newfoundland). But both should be great trips, whichever you choose!
Old Jun 21, 2015, 10:29 pm
Original Poster

We booked a car already for NL

Anc from what I understand generally lodging may not be first pick but is available
Old Jun 23, 2015, 5:26 pm

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
Question Newfoundland

Jeez, I hope you don't make this decision based on car rental availability?

My (Canuck) vote goes to Newfoundland. Both provinces require a lot of travel, but NFLD. is more rewarding - the people, customs, landscape & accents.

Once you decide, share more details of your proposed itinerary, airports, likes/dislikes, etc. and we can share more ideas & suggestions.
Old Jun 23, 2015, 5:58 pm

Since you do have 2 weeks, if your budget allows for it, you probably have enough time for both!
Old Jun 24, 2015, 8:58 am

Originally Posted by Cheese
Since you do have 2 weeks, if your budget allows for it, you probably have enough time for both!
I'll echo this sentiment. I'd also recommend PEI. You really can't go wrong with any Atlantic destination based on my experience.
Old Jun 24, 2015, 1:27 pm

I'm Canadian and vote Newfoundland - St. John's is just different in a good way.
You can drive the island and stay at some interesting places... Or can just fly to Halifax and explore NS and maybe NB and PEI. You may also want to look into the Magdalin islands, they are part of Quebec but just north of PEI. It's where my grandmother is from, it's a big Eco tourist spot with amazing beaches and not known by many.
Old Jun 24, 2015, 11:41 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Westjet, Marriott, Nexus
Another vote for Atlantic Canada

Add me to the pile that say both provices (+PEI if you so desire)

I haven't been to Newfoundland so I'll stick to what I know: Nova Scotia. You can do Halifax and area (Peggy's Cove) for a couple of days and a loop up to Cape Breton for another 2 or 3 days. Newfoundland is bigger so I'd budget a couple of extra days for more exploring there.

If you still want to stick to one province I'd suggest Newfoundland only because you mention you want the wilderness and with its size and better chance at seeing some giant moose it would (just) edge out Nova Scotia.
Old Jun 25, 2015, 11:38 am
B1

I'd go to Nova Scotia first - it's more manageable. The east and west coasts of Newfoundland are really separate destinations and each could be a future trip. The coastal areas in Newfoundland are generally less accessible, so you need some real plans and destinations to work on. Think of Nova Scotia as New England as it used to be and Halifax as Boston in an earlier time. The drives to Cape Breton and to the South Shore are easily accessed from Halifax. Nova Scotia is close enough to Prince Edward Island to add it - the beaches are the best anywhere in the summer. For my tastes, Newfoundland is more exotic and Nova Scotia is more comfortable. It's also a shorter cheaper trip to NS. If you do go to Halifax, try a Priceline bid. I've always gotten the Westin Nova Scotian, which is by the VIA station, immigration museum, and farmer's market. I usually don't have a car when I am staying in Halifax - there's a public transit bus from the airport. You could save by spending some time in Halifax without a car and renting from an in-town site to avoid airport charges.
Old Jun 26, 2015, 1:11 pm

Newfoundland is really big. I spent 10 days there a few years ago and didn't see a single moose, even while driving at high speeds at night (in desperation to see one!). Much of the interior involves endless pine forests. I went all the way from St. John to Labrador.

Nova Scotia I combined with PEI and the Fundy area of New Brunswick in 7 days a few years ago on another trip. The Cape Breton Highlands are very nice.

So, both are worth visiting, but I would likely choose Nova Scotia first, even though I did it in reverse.
Old Jun 26, 2015, 7:49 pm
Original Poster

We are not making the decision based on car rental.

Originally Posted by Antonio8069
Jeez, I hope you don't make this decision based on car rental availability?

My (Canuck) vote goes to Newfoundland. Both provinces require a lot of travel, but NFLD. is more rewarding - the people, customs, landscape & accents.

Once you decide, share more details of your proposed itinerary, airports, likes/dislikes, etc. and we can share more ideas & suggestions.
But we were warned that cars in Newfoundland are expensive and sometimes unavailable, so we made a refundable booking just in case.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 1:15 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, A3*G, GE
Both are wonderful destinations.

I've been to Nova Scotia twice, first time rented a convertible and did the cabot trail - just wonderful and did see a moose followed by 1.5 days in Halifax/Peggy's Cove. Second time was just a weekend in Halifax with side trips to Peggy's Cove and Lunenburg.

Last summer spent 10 days in Newfoundland (mid July) - could have easily doubled that. Did St. John's, Bay of Fundy area and Fogo island. Whale watching and iceberg watching were the highlights. You will likely not see any icebergs in August. NF requires more careful planning in terms of accommodations and distances are huge. We didn't even remotely scratch Gros Morne NP, so I would definitely want to go back.

Regarding car rentals - yes, in NF there was a hefty one-way rental fee of 300$ or so. Not sure if the same applies to NS - we flew in and out of Halifax both times so this wouldn't have been applicable.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by Ontario
Last summer spent 10 days in Newfoundland (mid July) - could have easily doubled that. Did St. John's, Bay of Fundy area and Fogo island. Whale watching and iceberg watching were the highlights. You will likely not see any icebergs in August. NF requires more careful planning in terms of accommodations and distances are huge. We didn't even remotely scratch Gros Morne NP, so I would definitely want to go back.
Did you mean something else?
Old Jul 9, 2015, 3:38 pm

Programs: AC P25
I'm biased being a Newfoundlander but I think we're definately more quirky, with harder travel over long distances but more remote and isolated which to me can be far more rewarding. That being said Nova Scotia is a wonderful destination with better weather and easier access to most areas. But if you want hardy people with unique accents and culture you can't beat rural newfoundland.
Old Jul 11, 2015, 1:34 pm

I'm from Nova Scotia and would recommend Newfoundland. Get off the Trans Canada and into the small communities to really experience it. I can't get enough of the place!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.