Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canada Doesn't Stamp American Passports?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Canada Doesn't Stamp American Passports?

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2015, 9:24 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I've gotten stamps on every visit to Canada I've had in the last few years (YVR x2, YYZ x2 and YUL) though I think I may have had to ask at least once. Thankfully, no one has yet said no
Old May 27, 2015, 10:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Originally Posted by onobond
Well, out of 13 tourism entries to Canada, I've had passport entry stamp on all. Never an exit stamp, though
Originally Posted by highops
I drove over for tourism. We had 4 Americans and a German exchange student. Only her passport was stamped. I'm not sure if that was because it was EU or the agent (correctly) realized she would want it as a memento.
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
They will stamp a E.U. passport at least once. If the E.U. visitor has previously entered Canada on the same passport, they won't bother stamping.
Originally Posted by CMK10
I've gotten stamps on every visit to Canada I've had in the last few years (YVR x2, YYZ x2 and YUL) though I think I may have had to ask at least once. Thankfully, no one has yet said no
There seems to be different experiences of Canadian immigration routines
Old May 28, 2015, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Indeed!

My US passport is getting full and I'm hoping to avoid dealing with extra pages until after the next trip as time is tight.

Here's the Itin:

ORD-YYZ on UA with immediate connection to LHR on AC - no stamp at ORD, maybe a stamp at YYZ, maybe not?
LHR entry - 1 stamp
LHR exit - 1 stamp
transit at YOW to ORD AC to UA - maybe a stamp, maybe not
Enter US at ORD - Global entry so no stamp.

So, I count as few as 2 or as many as 4??
Old May 28, 2015, 3:23 pm

Programs: AC-SE100K MM, BA-S HH-D, MB-G LT Sil, IHG-Plt, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by milepig
Indeed!

My US passport is getting full and I'm hoping to avoid dealing with extra pages until after the next trip as time is tight.

Here's the Itin:

ORD-YYZ on UA with immediate connection to LHR on AC - no stamp at ORD, maybe a stamp at YYZ, maybe not?
LHR entry - 1 stamp
LHR exit - 1 stamp

You will actually enter the US at YOW using Global Entry kiosks. There is US preclearance at many Canadian Airports.
--
13F
Old May 28, 2015, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Seat13F_AC_CRJ
You will actually enter the US at YOW using Global Entry kiosks. There is US preclearance at many Canadian Airports.
--
13F
Sorry - I knew that but had a brain freeze, but whether it happens at YOW or ORD I won't get a stamp.
Old May 28, 2015, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
I know the E.U. routine from personal experience. Went to SEA to pick up my sister from the airport. Got back to the Canadian border late and went through the "truck" crossing so we could get duty free too.

When we got to the booth, the agent looked for a previous entry stamp in my sister's UK passport. It was new since she last visited so of course it didn't have one. If she had a previous entry stamp, it wouldn't have been a problem but since she didn't we need it stamped.

Unfortunately, Canada Immigration was closed(!) at that border crossing at that time so we had to drive back (the CBP agent was a bit surprised as to why), drive the 1 mile or so west to the next crossing at I-5 and entered there where the immigration office is open all the time.

I'd say that if there aren't any flags, most Canadian and U.S. citizens driving across the border to the other side won't get a stamp in their passport.
Old May 29, 2015, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

When transiting YYZ, if they stamp at all... do they stamp both Entry and Exit, or only entry? I'm doing ORD/YYZ on UA and then YYZ/LHR on CA, so both T1. Should I plan for 2 stamps, or does Canada, like the US, not stamp at exit?
Old May 30, 2015, 12:45 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, HH Diamond
No stamp on exit.
Old May 30, 2015, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Indeed!

Here's the Itin:

LHR entry - 1 stamp
LHR exit - 1 stamp

I have never got a passport stamp when exiting the UK?
Old May 30, 2015, 11:10 pm

stamps

I have only 1 canadian stamp having entered canada at least 20x, both by air and by car. This was done at the St. Bernard de Lacolle crossing - not sure why.
Old May 31, 2015, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
I have never got a passport stamp when exiting the UK?
Am I confusing airports? When you leave LHR don't you go through Immigration? Or is that just security like in the US. Too many airports and its been a couple years since my path has taken me through LHR.
Old Jun 1, 2015, 7:31 pm

Am I confusing airports? When you leave LHR don't you go through Immigration? Or is that just security like in the US. Too many airports and its been a couple years since my path has taken me through LHR.
UK don't have exit immigration.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passpor...igration_Stamp
Old Jun 2, 2015, 5:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Just security, like America.
Old Jun 2, 2015, 6:14 pm

Programs: AA PLT (fmr EXP), UA SLV, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat Premier (LTG), IHG Gold, National Exec Elite
I have been stamped every time flying in to YVR/YEG/YYC, but never when driving across the border.
Old Jun 13, 2015, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Indeed!

Here's the Itin:

LHR entry - 1 stamp
LHR exit - 1 stamp

I think you have this very wrong. You will have 1 stamp (UK) and at most a second stamp (US when entering through YOW).

Since you are transiting Canada and not "entering" Canada on your connection then no Canada stamp. The US never stamps out. You get stamped in for the UK. No exit stamp from the UK. And since you are transiting Canada again on the return and going straight to US Immigration & Customs that's the only possible second stamp you might get this trip. I have found that US never stamps American passports at Canadian pre-clearance airports. Also, at least at YVR, you cannot use Global Entry because GE is only available to those originating at the airport (aka having come from Canada). I don't know if YOW does it the same way but I would presume so?

And you're not going through any immigration or customs at ORD! That's the whole point of pre-clearance in Canada. You will arrive ORD as if you were on a regular domestic flight from NYC or SFO.

-RM

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.