Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canada Doesn't Stamp American Passports?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Canada Doesn't Stamp American Passports?

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2015, 2:34 am

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
In all my trips to Canada I only have one stamp in an old passport. I only got that one because I asked for it (even then it took asking twice, stating Souvenir memory).

Switzerland also didn't stamp US passports before Shengen. They have to now because of Shengen rules.

Hong Kong as someone mentioned above stopped stamping passports a few years ago. It's all gone electronic and you get a small paper slip for your records, I really wish more countries would do this. Would love to actually get 10 years out of a passport (without page additions since they're no longer free).
Old May 26, 2015, 8:02 am

Originally Posted by GrayAnderson
I've been into Canada about 20 times (I think) over the last 4-5 years. I've been stamped twice: Once during the ritual Customs grilling when I got pulled off the train (it was autopilot for them to stamp in that case, I think) and once when I was doing an in-and-out on the Portland-Yarmouth ferry (I was on Canadian soil for about 90 minutes between docking and reboarding).

I think part of the reason the US and Canada have a no-stamp situation is that you've got plenty of folks for whom those stamps would fill out a passport book every year.
It wouldn't even take me a year if I used my passport and they stamped it instead of my enhanced license.
Old May 26, 2015, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ROCAT
It wouldn't even take me a year if I used my passport and they stamped it instead of my enhanced license.
This.

I travelled across Canada (Buffalo to Sarnia and back) on a weekly basis for over five years and never got a passport stamped. When I got my Nexus card they never even looked at the p/p.
Old May 26, 2015, 9:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I have a couple Canada stamps in my current passport. Airline arrivals, of course...I've never gotten one on a surface crossing.
Old May 26, 2015, 10:11 am

As a Canadian citizen, I have my passport stamped by US CBP every single time I enter the US by air, but never when I enter by land or sea.

It wouldn't surprise me if CBSA does the same thing for US Citizens - stamps for airport entry, no stamps for rail or land entry.
Old May 26, 2015, 1:04 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
As this query seems to be about Canadian border policies and practices, let's move this to the Canada forum for further discussion. Thanks. /JY1024, TravelBuzz co-moderator
Old May 26, 2015, 1:36 pm
Suspended

I think it depends on the entry method. I know they don't via car but I've never gone in via a plane.
Old May 26, 2015, 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by onobond
Well, out of 13 tourism entries to Canada, I've had passport entry stamp on all. Never an exit stamp, though
Be hard to get an exit stamp since as Canada does not have exit controls.
Old May 26, 2015, 4:24 pm

Which airport did this happen in, just out of curiosity?
Old May 26, 2015, 5:22 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Amtrak
Originally Posted by flipstah

Stamps are expensive.

How expensive can it be to stamp a passport?
Old May 26, 2015, 5:35 pm

Programs: Hilton Plastic, Delta Silver Emeritus
I drove over for tourism. We had 4 Americans and a German exchange student. Only her passport was stamped. I'm not sure if that was because it was EU or the agent (correctly) realized she would want it as a memento.
Old May 26, 2015, 6:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by highops
I'm not sure if that was because it was EU or the agent (correctly) realized she would want it as a memento.
They will stamp a E.U. passport at least once. If the E.U. visitor has previously entered Canada on the same passport, they won't bother stamping.
Old May 26, 2015, 8:43 pm

Originally Posted by BigLar
This.

I travelled across Canada (Buffalo to Sarnia and back) on a weekly basis for over five years and never got a passport stamped. When I got my Nexus card they never even looked at the p/p.
While I don't have a problem with it, given where I am, I can just imagine folks from, say, Alberta or Quebec shaking their heads at your definition of traveling across Canada lol.
Old May 27, 2015, 1:23 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by greggarious
I think it depends on the entry method. I know they don't via car but I've never gone in via a plane.
My US passport has several CBSA stamps, all from my coming in on scheduled, common carrier flights.
Old May 27, 2015, 6:39 pm

Programs: United 1K, AC 50K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriot Platinum
I have dual citizenship. When I lived in the US and came into Canada on my American passport it was never stamped if I drove in but was pretty much always stamped if I flew in. The same holds true now that I live in Canada when I visit the US. I never get my Canadian passport stamped when I drive into the US but pretty much always when I fly in--even if I am just connecting though the US to a flight overseas.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.