Wiki Posts
Search

Rental Cars at YQG + Bridge Times

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2015, 6:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Double Secret Nexus
Rental Cars at YQG + Bridge Times

I need to get to Grand Rapids, so I'm flying PD return YUL -> YTZ -> YQG and then renting a car from Avis at YQG and driving across 2/3 of Michigan to save $250 and stay off regional jets.

Does anyone have experience renting at YQG? Is it even large enough of an airport to have a dedicated rental desk all day or do they just bring someone around from another branch when they have flights come in?

Also, Windsorites and Metrodetroiters, how bad is the Ambassador Bridge on a Friday around 6pm US-bound and on Sunday around 6pm CAN-bound? Will the Nexus lane help? IIRC it doesn't speed up anything until you're across the span.

Thanks!
Old May 22, 2015, 5:39 am
B1

Welcome to FT. You can find out all you need to know about rental cars at any on-line site. Priceline shows Budget, Avis, and National at the airport in Windsor. But why not go nonstop to DTW from YUL and rent there if you don't want to fly to Grand Rapids, for example. It avoids all of Detroit. If you must use Porter and like to change at YTZ, then MDW would be easier. And going on turbo-props to avoid regional jets? Seems like a strange plan. If you are booked already, consider the D-W tunnel - no trucks.
Old May 22, 2015, 8:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: Double Secret Nexus
Already booked (on my own dime, so that's why no direct DL YUL -> DTW, even flying to MDW would cost a few hundred more).

And going on turbo-props to avoid regional jets? Seems like a strange plan.
34" seat pitch on a half-full Porter Dash8 >> (31" seat pitch on a packed RJ + getting to YUL an extra hour earlier).

consider the D-W tunnel - no trucks.
Will do, thanks!
Old May 22, 2015, 2:54 pm

Porter does not have 34" pitch anymore. They have added an extra row and now is down to 32".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.