Wiki Posts
Search

Newark customs flying from YTZ

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2015, 1:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards, Jetblue TrueBlue, American Advantage
Newark customs flying from YTZ

I'm planning a trip to Toronto and found a better fare to YTZ. Only problem is YTZ doesn't have pre-clearance back to the states. How bad will it be clearing customs in Newark vs doing preclearance at YYZ? It would cost $60 extra x 3 people. Also what times are the best for customs in EWR
Old May 17, 2015, 2:14 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Do you have Global Entry? If so, not much of an issue.

Assuming Porter would dump you into the main Customs and Immigration queues at EWR Terminal B, it can be a pretty lengthy wait if you arrive when some of the Europe flights are getting in.
Old May 17, 2015, 3:38 pm
Original Poster

Thats the problem, I don't but my parents who are flying with me do. I've seen some people say that if someone your traveling with has global entry you will be screened by the CBP officer that oversees the kiosk but just something I've seen on other boards.
Old May 19, 2015, 11:51 am
B1

I have never seen big crowds when I've come in to EWR on Porter. The YTZ terminal is much more convenient to downtown Toronto and getting through security is less crowded. Also, if you have pre-clearance in Toronto, you have to get to YYZ earlier because of the uncertainty of combining customs, immigration and security ahead of the flight. Another point against pre-clearing is that you can't bring any food along unless you are prepared to be treated as an agricultural problem to be examined - "chewing gum is food" - and if you don't enter it on the form then it's a favorite point for trouble. If you go from YTZ and clear after arrival at EWR , then any waiting is after you are already there, which takes out the stress of getting to the flight - unless you are connecting.
Old May 22, 2015, 3:09 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Copa Pres. Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG LT Gold, Marriott Gold
It can get pretty ugly. You arrive in Terminal B, along with a whole mess of international flights from all sorts of destinations. I don't know what the "best" vs. "worst" times are for customs, but I would think of it as if you're arriving from an overseas flight.

Not saying it's a bad option - especially since YTZ is much more convenient to downtown Toronto - but make sure you're going into it eyes wide open.
Old May 22, 2015, 3:36 pm

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
fly AC

Fly AC ^YTZ-YUL-EWR and you pre-clear in YUL. Much quieter and you can collect UA miles.
Old May 22, 2015, 10:28 pm
Original Poster

Ended up finding out my passport was expired and didn't want to deal with driving to Philly to get it expedited. I decided to go to Las Vegas when I found out that US was matching Spirit pricing and I could go for $200RT
Old May 27, 2015, 3:58 pm

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
does not add up?

Originally Posted by Jerseyguy
Thats the problem, I don't but my parents who are flying with me do. I've seen some people say that if someone your traveling with has global entry you will be screened by the CBP officer that oversees the kiosk but just something I've seen on other boards.
Whoa! You are traveling with Mum & Dad to Toronto, discover your passport is expired, and now you found a better deal to LAS?

Seriously??
Old May 28, 2015, 4:17 am
B1

Originally Posted by Jerseyguy
Ended up finding out my passport was expired and didn't want to deal with driving to Philly to get it expedited. I decided to go to Las Vegas when I found out that US was matching Spirit pricing and I could go for $200RT
You could take NJ Transit to New York with your folks for even less!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.