Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

YUL-YVR-HNL where is the immigration check?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2015, 11:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United Gold

Due to a delayed UA flight I was rebooked on AC. I'm not sure where I'll go through immigration now. Will it be at YUL, YVR or HNL?
Old May 16, 2015, 11:42 pm
m.y

Programs: AC 75k, Marriott Titanium
You will pre-clear at YVR.
Old May 16, 2015, 11:48 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Also bags will be checked through.
Old May 16, 2015, 11:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by m.y
You will pre-clear at YVR.
Thanks.

My connection time is 1 hour and 15 minutes. I have Global Entry and no checked luggage. Is that enough time?
Old May 17, 2015, 12:12 am

Programs: Recovering long-time AC SE100K (currently E50K), Accor Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by love_to_travel
Thanks.

My connection time is 1 hour and 15 minutes. I have Global Entry and no checked luggage. Is that enough time?
You should be fine. You will exit the secured domestic terminal, turn left, walk to the U.S. terminal about 10 minutes away, clear security using a designated Nexus lane, then clear U.S. Immigration using a designated Nexus lane. The gates past that point are within a few minutes' walk.
Old May 17, 2015, 8:05 am

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
If you are coming from a pure domestic Canadian flight, and then connect at YVR to go to AC - the previous post has one option in terms of directions for the process. You have to go outside of security, then go through US preclearance using nexus or Global Entry.

I can not remember if you go through security first, or last. In either way, you can now take the pseudo-TSA precheck lane through security.

An alternate process is to go from the domestic concourse, turn left (ie do not go through security), go past international concourse, and then reach US preclearance officer.

This is a semi-airside method - not totally airside, not totally landside.

Unfortunately, there are no Global Entry machines at the US preclearance booth here - so nexus or Global Entry cards will not work!

I do not remember if you can go through the pseudo-TSA precheck lane for security in this scenario.
Old May 19, 2015, 3:32 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses all.

My YUL-YVR flight was delayed so I rushed to get to my gate at YVR. I exited the plane and turned left and then turned left again at the escalator (which was not running) then followed the signs to the US portion of the terminal, it was REALLY far away and I was running.

Once I got to the US terminal I went through security and then had to fill out a blue customs form and then went through immigration. There was no Global Entry the way I went, maybe I should have gone another way.

In any case I made it to the gate with 10 minutes to spare before boarding started.

I hope to never connect at YVR again unless I have a full 2 hours to do so.
Old May 20, 2015, 9:52 am

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by love_to_travel
I hope to never connect at YVR again unless I have a full 2 hours to do so.
I'm afraid the instructions above weren't explicit enough.

In future, if you want to use Global Entry at YVR you have to ignore the "US Connections" signs and instead exit to the terminal, turn left, then walk through the terminal to US departures.

This would allow you to use your GE card to go through 'express' security, and use it again at US CBP.

I did this process a few days ago and it took about 15 minutes in total.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.