Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

Montreal airport overnight lay over

Old Apr 30, 2015, 11:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA UA Delta. HH Diamond, PC Platinum, Club Carlson Gold, Hyatt Diamond

We will need to have a layover at Montreal airport, arrive at 5PM and will catch a morning flight the next day. Would anyone recommend a good hotel near the airport? Do we have time to visit the city? Thank you!
Old May 3, 2015, 8:08 am
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
Dinner downtown at one of Montreal's many amazing places is easy.... then head back to the airport to sleep. Marriott is directly connected to the terminal. Sheraton and A-Loft are very close by as a shuttle choice
Old May 4, 2015, 7:37 am

Programs: AA Gold, Amex Plat
I've stayed at a hotel near YUL airport before (the Holiday Inn on Cote de Liesse) and it was miserable. Much of the area around the airport is industrial - not much to see unless you go into the city.

I'd recommend using the 747 express bus to go to and from downtown, and stay at a hotel in the city. You arrive early enough to make that a worthwhile option.
Old May 4, 2015, 1:50 pm
YUL

Programs: SPG Gold / IHG Spire / Emerald Executive Elite
Originally Posted by wahooflyer
I've stayed at a hotel near YUL airport before (the Holiday Inn on Cote de Liesse) and it was miserable. Much of the area around the airport is industrial - not much to see unless you go into the city.
I'd recommend using the 747 express bus to go to and from downtown, and stay at a hotel in the city. You arrive early enough to make that a worthwhile option.
Agree that the HI on Cote de Liesse is miserable (but really cheap). Nevertheless, I also agree with ABG that the Marriott (directly connected to the terminal) + Sheraton & A-Loft (nearby) are very good choices, and are risk free for your morning flight.

The 747 express bus is a superb service; I'm just not sure about rush hours. Does it use a reserved lane?

Bon sjour Montral! ^
Old May 5, 2015, 10:12 am

Programs: AP 50k
Originally Posted by YUL
Agree that the HI on Cote de Liesse is miserable (but really cheap). Nevertheless, I also agree with ABG that the Marriott (directly connected to the terminal) + Sheraton & A-Loft (nearby) are very good choices, and are risk free for your morning flight.

The 747 express bus is a superb service; I'm just not sure about rush hours. Does it use a reserved lane?

Bon sjour Montral! ^

the 747 does not use a reserved lane (except maybe on Rene Levesque).
Old May 9, 2015, 4:21 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by bigjon94
the 747 does not use a reserved lane (except maybe on Rene Levesque).
It does most certainly use the reserved lane on A-20 between 55th and 1st Avenues in Lachine when traveling eastbound.
Old May 10, 2015, 3:46 pm
B1

Dorval (YUL) is close to downtown and you can have a lovely evening in Montreal. Check Priceline's Express Deals or Expedia.ca for Downtown East of West. The airport area has nothing to recommend it and nowhere to go. If it's the middle of the winter, staying at the airport avoids the chance of a snowstorm blocking traffic.
As an aside, because YUL is so close to town, it can't expand and the government solved the expansion issue by building Mirabel on a distant farm field. After the airlines gave up on Mirabel because no one wanted to go there, it was used for movie sets for Tom Hanks and test flights for Bombardier.
Old May 10, 2015, 5:25 pm

Originally Posted by B1
After the airlines gave up on Mirabel because no one wanted to go there, it was used for movie sets for Tom Hanks and test flights for Bombardier.
It also handles a lot of cargo.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.