Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

Time to drop bags at YYZ, Tue morning?

Old Apr 13, 2015, 8:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: A3*G

tomorrow (tuesday) i have an 8:15am flight to JFK with AC. from there i will connect to japan/china. i know i will sleep very badly if i have to get up early, so i don't want to arrive at YYZ much earlier than necessary.

since my first flight is to the US, i assume i have to

(1) go through US customs line at terminal 1,
(2) drop my checked luggage by 7:15am.

is it safe to arrive at YYZ by 6:30am? i never travel this early, so i have no idea how crowded it might be.

(i have *A gold, so checkin should be fast. however i do not yet have GE, still waiting for my card...)
Old Apr 14, 2015, 8:26 am

Programs: UA 1K (2MM)
Hi,

That is correct on 1) in terms of customs. The luggage drop is after customs so they don't check the time there ... you just have to check-in at the counter before the cutoff (and then lug your luggage thru customs first). 630 is fine for that...I think the cutoff for check-in is 60 minutes.

I can't comment specifically on the processing time for security as I have Nexus/GE. However I don't recall Tuesday morning being particularly busy at that time unless it is close to some vacation/holiday. If customs is busy they do flow control and they restrict entry into the customs hall depending on when your flight is departing.

Please pardon the vagueness of the details but my direct experience isn't with your circumstances. My guess is that you should be fine getting there at 630.
Old Apr 14, 2015, 9:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: A3*G
thank you. i should have posted earlier. i was there at 6:15 and at the lounge by 7... preclearance took 10-15 mins only.

i hadn't realised that the check in time at the counter is what counts for the 60 min cutoff, not the bag drop off after customs.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.