Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

Hand swab, pat down and luggage check, in one shot?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2015, 12:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC-SE, EK-G, GF-G

Hi Folks:

I have been traveling extensively for the past few decades, but this has never happened in one shot, and I need your thoughts:

I have become an expert in passing security lines..my metal belongings are always in my carryon, and I always take out my laptop and other electronics, and today was the exact same routine...

I was flying from YUL this morning. I went to the Priority Line, and immediately the agent asked for hand swab (I passed). As I proceed for security check, I did not beep, but the agent pulled me aside for a pat down (I passed again). Finally, when I went to back to the baggage machine to retrieve my bag, the agent wanted to check my bag. He went through my luggage, and then said "you are good to go"

I have been traveling with the same carryon for 3 years, with the same content… papers, clothes, etc..., and nothing else. So why did I have to go through an "advanced screening" today. Thoughts?

Last edited by aircanada_loyal; Mar 9, 2015 at 12:15 pm
Old Mar 9, 2015, 12:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Randomly selected for additional screening

Last edited by superangrypenguin; Mar 9, 2015 at 12:29 pm
Old Mar 9, 2015, 12:26 pm

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
Originally Posted by aircanada_loyal
Hi Folks:

I have been traveling extensively for the past few decades, but this has never happened in one shot, and I need your thoughts:

I have become an expert in passing security lines..my metal belongings are always in my carryon, and I always take out my laptop and other electronics, and today was the exact same routine...

I was flying from YUL this morning. I went to the Priority Line, and immediately the agent asked for hand swab (I passed). As I proceed for security check, I did not beep, but the agent pulled me aside for a pat down (I passed again). Finally, when I went to back to the baggage machine to retrieve my bag, the agent wanted to check my bag. He went through my luggage, and then said "you are good to go"

I have been traveling with the same carryon for 3 years, with the same content… papers, clothes, etc..., and nothing else. So why did I have to go through an "advanced screening" today. Thoughts?
Welcome to YUL They march to the beat of their own drum there
Old Mar 9, 2015, 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
Randomly selected for additional screening
Also known as the "Layered" security approach.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by lcohen999
Welcome to YUL They march to the beat of their own drum there
Yeah, like when they talk about you to their colleagues in Canada's other official language so you cannot understand them.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 1:54 pm

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by todd-r
Yeah, like when they talk about you to their colleagues in Canada's other official language so you cannot understand them.
Maybe they're just talking to their colleagues in the language of their preference. Customer-facing employees showing poor judgement and making inappropriate comments is exclusive to neither YUL nor native French-speakers
Old Mar 9, 2015, 3:36 pm

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Executive, Nexus/GE
He was hitting on you

Now do you feel special
Old Mar 9, 2015, 6:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by ffsim
Maybe they're just talking to their colleagues in the language of their preference. Customer-facing employees showing poor judgement and making inappropriate comments is exclusive to neither YUL nor native French-speakers
Honestly though, other than at the YUL Micro Do, all i've felt from those in YUL who speak French is a hatred for anglophones (as we spoke about at the Mini Do). Honestly that's the first time in YUL where I was the only anglophone and everyone spoke English because of me (thank you and the others by the way). I've been in so many situations where I'll be speaking English, and then those in YUL would then talk about me/the situation in French while i'm there (full well knowing my understanding of French is very poor)! I find that to be so rude. (even if it is an official language)

I have now countered by then replying to their comments in Mandarin They get the message after that, even if they are my customers.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 7:10 pm

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
Honestly though, other than at the YUL Micro Do, all i've felt from those in YUL who speak French is a hatred for anglophones (as we spoke about at the Mini Do). Honestly that's the first time in YUL where I was the only anglophone and everyone spoke English because of me (thank you and the others by the way). I've been in so many situations where I'll be speaking English, and then those in YUL would then talk about me/the situation in French while i'm there (full well knowing my understanding of French is very poor)! I find that to be so rude. (even if it is an official language)

I have now countered by then replying to their comments in Mandarin They get the message after that, even if they are my customers.
A couple of things. First of all, I'm an anglophone and I'm pretty sure I wasn't the only one at the Do (ok, I'm technically an allophone but the point is I'm not a Francophone). Secondly, I hate to say it, but you've been unfortunate because, as with any city in the world, the bad people you meet are usually balanced out by good people you meet. Or people just dislike you for no reason and feel a compelling reason to say rude things about you in a language you may or may not understand. I've met you a couple of times, so I'm sure it's not that, but what do I know?

Bottom line: it's inexcusable for you to be treated that way but it isn't an accurate reflection of 3+ million people in the city.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.