Wiki Posts
Search

Questions on Toronto

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2015, 11:38 pm
Original Poster

Cool Questions on Toronto

Hi FTs,

I'm visiting Toronto, Markham very soon and have some questions if you guys could help me with ,

1) As I'm preparing for the clothing to bring along with me, how cold is Toronto's -5C (got this from a quick google search just now)?

2) How much does normal meals cost (lunch and dinner)?

3) Is it easy to get taxi in Toronto (especially Markham area where I'm going to stay)?

4) Is it preferable to rent a car, if yes which company offers the best deal in Markham/Toronto?

5) How expensive is the parking in Markham area?

6) How much does it cost for a taxi ride from YYZ airport to Markham city centre (about 40km)?

7) Whats the best data package from the operators/carriers (quota based/unlimited)?

Thanks!

Last edited by Traflying; Mar 2, 2015 at 12:10 am
Old Mar 2, 2015, 7:56 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by Traflying
Hi FTs,

I'm visiting Toronto, Markham very soon and have some questions if you guys could help me with ,

1) As I'm preparing for the clothing to bring along with me, how cold is Toronto's -5C (got this from a quick google search just now)?
It's been nearly thirty years since I lived in Toronto so I won't risk giving out-of-date answers to your other questions. But this one's easy: -5C is five degrees Celsius below freezing, or 23 degrees Fahrenheit here in the States. It was 16 F (-9 C) when I left my house in southwest Ohio this morning and I was perfectly comfortable, but if you've never experienced cold winter weather, -5 C will feel unimaginably cold, even though it's 7.6 C warmer than this year's record-low average February temperature. You will want a warm winter hat that covers your ears, warm gloves, a warm coat and possibly a scarf.

I imagine Torontonians still favor the mukluks (fur-lined, easily-removed boots) that were nearly universal when I lived there, but you should be fine with closed shoes with grippy soles. Don't wear shoes with flat leather soles though.

Last edited by ajGoes; Mar 2, 2015 at 8:02 am
Old Mar 2, 2015, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Here is the real answer from a Torontonian who has traveled to SG extensively.

Don't let the outside temp scare you, in winter all indoor facilities are heated to 20-22C. Think SG: all buildings are aircon from the heat and humidity. Heavier pants and a good outercoat is what you would need.

Are you business or pleasure or visiting relative? big difference lah!

2) Normal meal in Markham, it is like in SG hawker vs fancy meals, if you go to the Asian shopping mall food court it would be 7-15 lunch 10-20 dinner. There are expensive restaurant as well with many different ethnic cuisine.

3) Markham is not easy to get taxi. Plan ahead and call/book or use Uber.

4) Yes for Markham, it is suburbia, a car is a must for getting around. If you are driving in Sg you should not have too much issue aside from the "side of the road".

5) Parking lots for visitors to buildings and shopping malls are free.

6) Taxi or airport limo from YYZ to Markham town centre would run about $75 plus tips. If you are renting a car it is best to pickup car at airport and return it on your way home.

7)I have two mobile plans, one with national branded carrier, expensive but reliable. I also have a low cost limited coverage area plan cheaper but not as reliable. Bell Telus and Rogers are the three main big carriers. You can check the travel tech forum for Canadian SIM for visitor data usage.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...im-canada.html

PM me for more info if needed.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 7:17 pm
B1

Hi FTs,

6) How much does it cost for a taxi ride from YYZ airport to Markham city centre (about 40km)?
Try this:
http://www.a1airlinetaxi.ca/images/east.pdf

7) Whats the best data package from the operators/carriers (quota based/unlimited)?
If you need data, it's going to be expensive. If you can live with Wi-Fi and phone you can get a sim card for $10 for an unlocked phone and talk time at http://www.speakout7eleven.ca/ They sell data plans for $10 a month for only 100 mb -it gets less expensive per unit if you buy more. This uses the Rogers GSM system.
Renting a car at locations other than the airport is always cheaper.
Old Mar 6, 2015, 5:40 am

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
Markham advice

Unless you are on expenses (and/or don't care) do not stay in Markham & commute by taxi! A car is required. Public transit buses exist, but they take forever.

Ontario has had a very cold Feb, and its continuing through March. Plan on lows below zero and daytime highs of 3-6 Celsius. Regular footwear should be OK, unless of course you want to partake in late winter activities? Pack & plan to wear layers.

As others have said, Asian food & malls are ubiquitous in Markham. A rental car will incl. an offer of a transponder for Highway 407. Take it if you plan to visit Niagara/Hamilton. Otherwise, Highway 7/404 will be fine. Parking is free at the Sheraton, the Delta and the Hilton.

Do plan to spend some time in downtown TO i.e. do not visit Markham & say you have "been" to Toronto. Just saying......
Old Mar 6, 2015, 11:46 am

Programs: FT
agree with tentseller 100% having coming back from SIN yesterday.

at least beer/booze will be WAY WAY cheaper pretty much any place you go. same with any other spirits.

man was wine offensively priced in SIN.

i would just rent a car when you get here. getting around in markham without a car is just plain silly.

and Antonio8069....where exactly does OP say they will say they have been in Toronto by visiting Markham? for all we know, they could work for J&J and be stuck in up in the shitwhole suburbs....

also PM me if you want to grab a beer if you are down in the centre of the city. i don't normally get north of bloor street....so when i mean, centre, i actually mean around the bay/king area.
Old Mar 6, 2015, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mkjr

at least beer/booze will be WAY WAY cheaper pretty much any place you go. same with any other spirits.

i would just rent a car when you get here. getting around in markham without a car is just plain silly.

and Antonio8069....where exactly does OP say they will say they have been in Toronto by visiting Markham? for all we know, they could work for J&J and be stuck in up in the shitwhole suburbs....

also PM me if you want to grab a beer if you are down in the centre of the city. i don't normally get north of bloor street....so when i mean, centre, i actually mean around the bay/king area.
Correction: Wine was offensively TAXED in SG.

Are there Tiger ladies in Toronto downtown? I only see cougars lah!
Old Mar 7, 2015, 2:17 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, BA Executive- Blue, Lifemiles, AA Advantage, VIA Rail Preference, Iberia Plus
I'll post later more info but for now, I'll be the 1st to ask why are you going to stay in Markham if you actually want to be in Toronto?
I mean if you're going to spend more time in Toronto, why not stay there as opposed to Markham? If you're in the city (TO) as opposed to Markham you won't need to rent a car and will be fine with just walking around.

Also Markham is NOT Toronto. Sure they're relatively close, but they're 2 completely separate cities.

I'll chime in later on, right now I got to jet!
Old Mar 9, 2015, 3:57 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses!

Originally Posted by ajGoes
It's been nearly thirty years since I lived in Toronto so I won't risk giving out-of-date answers to your other questions. But this one's easy: -5C is five degrees Celsius below freezing, or 23 degrees Fahrenheit here in the States. It was 16 F (-9 C) when I left my house in southwest Ohio this morning and I was perfectly comfortable, but if you've never experienced cold winter weather, -5 C will feel unimaginably cold, even though it's 7.6 C warmer than this year's record-low average February temperature. You will want a warm winter hat that covers your ears, warm gloves, a warm coat and possibly a scarf.

I imagine Torontonians still favor the mukluks (fur-lined, easily-removed boots) that were nearly universal when I lived there, but you should be fine with closed shoes with grippy soles. Don't wear shoes with flat leather soles though.
Thanks, the mukluks look cool, will definitely make sure that I'm taking along my "grippy" and leather shoes!

Originally Posted by tentseller
Here is the real answer from a Torontonian who has traveled to SG extensively.

Don't let the outside temp scare you, in winter all indoor facilities are heated to 20-22C. Think SG: all buildings are aircon from the heat and humidity. Heavier pants and a good outercoat is what you would need.

Are you business or pleasure or visiting relative? big difference lah!

2) Normal meal in Markham, it is like in SG hawker vs fancy meals, if you go to the Asian shopping mall food court it would be 7-15 lunch 10-20 dinner. There are expensive restaurant as well with many different ethnic cuisine.

3) Markham is not easy to get taxi. Plan ahead and call/book or use Uber.

4) Yes for Markham, it is suburbia, a car is a must for getting around. If you are driving in Sg you should not have too much issue aside from the "side of the road".

5) Parking lots for visitors to buildings and shopping malls are free.

6) Taxi or airport limo from YYZ to Markham town centre would run about $75 plus tips. If you are renting a car it is best to pickup car at airport and return it on your way home.

7)I have two mobile plans, one with national branded carrier, expensive but reliable. I also have a low cost limited coverage area plan cheaper but not as reliable. Bell Telus and Rogers are the three main big carriers. You can check the travel tech forum for Canadian SIM for visitor data usage.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...im-canada.html

PM me for more info if needed.
I'm visiting Markham on business, most likely I will stay for a few weeks.

As I'm currently based in SIN, it seems that data is very expensive in Canada!

Originally Posted by Antonio8069
Unless you are on expenses (and/or don't care) do not stay in Markham & commute by taxi! A car is required. Public transit buses exist, but they take forever.

Ontario has had a very cold Feb, and its continuing through March. Plan on lows below zero and daytime highs of 3-6 Celsius. Regular footwear should be OK, unless of course you want to partake in late winter activities? Pack & plan to wear layers.

As others have said, Asian food & malls are ubiquitous in Markham. A rental car will incl. an offer of a transponder for Highway 407. Take it if you plan to visit Niagara/Hamilton. Otherwise, Highway 7/404 will be fine. Parking is free at the Sheraton, the Delta and the Hilton.

Do plan to spend some time in downtown TO i.e. do not visit Markham & say you have "been" to Toronto. Just saying......
I'm not on a budget, so to say, as I'm visiting for business but unfortunately I need to stay in Markham as the office that I will be visiting everyday is in Markham.

Thanks for the info and yes I do plan to visit Niagara as this is my first time visiting the country, what is the transponder for?

Could you recommend any hotels with good location (with kitchen?, easy to buy groceries, fast food for midnight late snack, pump gas, free parking)?

Cheers, I'll be sure to drop by if I'm visiting the city!

Correction: Wine was offensively TAXED in SG.

Are there Tiger ladies in Toronto downtown? I only see cougars lah!

Originally Posted by iceblueshoes
I'll post later more info but for now, I'll be the 1st to ask why are you going to stay in Markham if you actually want to be in Toronto?
I mean if you're going to spend more time in Toronto, why not stay there as opposed to Markham? If you're in the city (TO) as opposed to Markham you won't need to rent a car and will be fine with just walking around.

Also Markham is NOT Toronto. Sure they're relatively close, but they're 2 completely separate cities.

I'll chime in later on, right now I got to jet!
Hi iceblueshoes, as mentioned, I'm visiting the country on business, and the office that I'll be going to for a few weeks is in Markham so I think it's better to stay in Markham instead of Toronto.

And could you guys recommend any good car rental service? I'm planning to take taxi (since the company is paying) from the airport to the hotel in Markham, settle for a few days and then get the car rental.

Thanks a lot!
Old Mar 9, 2015, 6:19 am

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
an update & more questions

Originally Posted by iceblueshoes
Well said!

So the transponder electronically records the distance traveled on the pay-per-use expressway (407) and bills it (in this instance) to your rental car company. By getting a transponder, you avoid the "convenience" fee paid by other motorists:
http://www.407etr.com/tolls/tolls-explained.html
Staying in Markham, you will find it extremely useful to have 407 access for many outings (Niagara is the most obvious).
As for hotels, I suggest you check out the Hilton (an all suite hotel):
http://www3.hilton.com/en/hotels/ont...PHF/index.html
Before critics pile on, let me acknowledge its not all that convenient. It happens to be at an exit for the 407 with painfully easy access! & its a nice hotel with a great spa & gym! IMO, Markham is a bit of a suburban food desert with nothing within walking distance i.e. you will need to drive to everything!

Its now March, so PM any of us if we can be more helpful.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 7:48 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Thanks, the mukluks look cool, will definitely make sure that I'm taking along my "grippy" and leather shoes!
A couple of days after I responded to your first post in this thread, I started chatting with a couple of Indian immigrants who often lunch at the same place I do (in Dayton, Ohio, about 700 KM southwest of Toronto). With your question in mind, I asked how long it took them to acclimate to our winters. The first guy used the exact words I did: "it was unimaginably cold."

My first spring in Toronto (which was forty, not thirty years ago -- time flies!) had highly variable weather. I remember that it was 85 degrees F (29.5 C) on May 5th, but we had five inches (13 cm) of snow on the 15th. I was a student and spent a lot of time outside, either walking, waiting for buses, or simply enjoying the fresh air, so I made sure to dress warmly.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 10:48 am

The hotels in the area are generally spread out.

Most are probably around Highway 7 and Highway 404.

I would say Hilton Toronto / Markham Suites Conference Centre & Spa, 8500 Warden Avenue, Markham is probably the best hotel bet.

I personally think it is a decent option and you can get one of these long term type options given how long you will be there.

http://www3.hilton.com/en/hotels/ont...ay-suites.html

As to car rentals, I would check with your office in Toronto. Are you working back at the same office you are with in SIN or with clients in Toronto? Even with clients in Toronto, they might have discount codes to use.

Also, if you rent at the airport, you will be give unlimited km usage which is not common at off-airport locations.

Your company/clients, like us, would probably have arrangements locally with rental companies.

I typically rent from Hertz but that is a personally preference.

You are going to find that your rate is going to get bumped up by possible insurance.

Do you know if your car insurance at home in SIN has insurance for car rentals? I know my car insuance has coverage if I rent cars in certain countries.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 4:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

First choice for accommodating and as a hotel the Hilton Suites at Warden and Hwy 7 is the first choice.
If you want dining options then Sheraton Hwy7 is better choice.

There are extended stay hotel suites with kitchen around there as well.

Renting cars from airport you will get a better selection of cars. See which rental agency has deal with your company or the company that you are visiting.

The 407 transponder is our ERP. It is to charge for the use of Hwy 407. Hwy 407 is a must to navigate around Markham, especially during rush hours.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 10:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Antonio8069
Well said!

So the transponder electronically records the distance traveled on the pay-per-use expressway (407) and bills it (in this instance) to your rental car company. By getting a transponder, you avoid the "convenience" fee paid by other motorists:
http://www.407etr.com/tolls/tolls-explained.html
Staying in Markham, you will find it extremely useful to have 407 access for many outings (Niagara is the most obvious).
As for hotels, I suggest you check out the Hilton (an all suite hotel):
http://www3.hilton.com/en/hotels/ont...PHF/index.html
Before critics pile on, let me acknowledge its not all that convenient. It happens to be at an exit for the 407 with painfully easy access! & its a nice hotel with a great spa & gym! IMO, Markham is a bit of a suburban food desert with nothing within walking distance i.e. you will need to drive to everything!

Its now March, so PM any of us if we can be more helpful.
So the transponder would only be for hwy407 in this case?

I have checked out the Hilton Markham conference but unfortunately it charges for parking so it's not really suitable for me as my company does not allow parking claims.

Originally Posted by ajGoes
A couple of days after I responded to your first post in this thread, I started chatting with a couple of Indian immigrants who often lunch at the same place I do (in Dayton, Ohio, about 700 KM southwest of Toronto). With your question in mind, I asked how long it took them to acclimate to our winters. The first guy used the exact words I did: "it was unimaginably cold."

My first spring in Toronto (which was forty, not thirty years ago -- time flies!) had highly variable weather. I remember that it was 85 degrees F (29.5 C) on May 5th, but we had five inches (13 cm) of snow on the 15th. I was a student and spent a lot of time outside, either walking, waiting for buses, or simply enjoying the fresh air, so I made sure to dress warmly.
I will make sure to bring warm clothes. How is the wind condition in Toronto or Markham? I just came back from Sydney last year and felt that the winter temperature was not that cold but the wind was killing me!

The hotels in the area are generally spread out.

Most are probably around Highway 7 and Highway 404.

I would say Hilton Toronto / Markham Suites Conference Centre & Spa, 8500 Warden Avenue, Markham is probably the best hotel bet.

I personally think it is a decent option and you can get one of these long term type options given how long you will be there.

http://www3.hilton.com/en/hotels/ont...ay-suites.html

As to car rentals, I would check with your office in Toronto. Are you working back at the same office you are with in SIN or with clients in Toronto? Even with clients in Toronto, they might have discount codes to use.

Also, if you rent at the airport, you will be give unlimited km usage which is not common at off-airport locations.

Your company/clients, like us, would probably have arrangements locally with rental companies.

I typically rent from Hertz but that is a personally preference.

You are going to find that your rate is going to get bumped up by possible insurance.

Do you know if your car insurance at home in SIN has insurance for car rentals? I know my car insuance has coverage if I rent cars in certain countries.
As I mentioned, unfortunately this Hilton does not offer free parking which would be an issue for me. I am actually working for clients who are based in Canada instead of SIN but I'm not really sure if they would offer discount codes for me.

I did see Avis in Hilton conference centre, do you know any other that is close to any of the hotel around?

I'm planning to take taxi from the airport to Markham, settle for a few days before actually renting the car.

First choice for accommodating and as a hotel the Hilton Suites at Warden and Hwy 7 is the first choice.
If you want dining options then Sheraton Hwy7 is better choice.

There are extended stay hotel suites with kitchen around there as well.

Renting cars from airport you will get a better selection of cars. See which rental agency has deal with your company or the company that you are visiting.

The 407 transponder is our ERP. It is to charge for the use of Hwy 407. Hwy 407 is a must to navigate around Markham, especially during rush hours.
Thanks for your info, the ERP does explain it all.

Just 1 more question, if I opt to get the transponder from the car rental, so the highway charges would be billed straight away to my renting bill? If I do not opt for the transponder, how do I pay for the highway tolls?

Thanks guys for all your help!
Old Mar 10, 2015, 2:27 am

I'd contact the hotel directly. The link I posted says extended rates are free parking. I also find it hard to believe they charge to park for such a long stay and at this time of year. I suspect the place is empty. pM your days and I'll call them for you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.