Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

LHR-to-US via YYZ T1 - How do I leave the airport?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2015, 12:02 am
Original Poster

Hey,

I have about a 7 hour connection coming back from London in Toronto and wanted to get out and about a bit, get some lunch with friends, maybe work out at the Goodlife, etc. However, I can't figure out how I can clear through Canadian customs to get landside. The limiting factor seems to be the issue with having to go through US CBP to get my bags inspected, but really wanting to cross the Canadian border first. Anyone have any advice?

For reference:

1. Both legs are AC in J
2. I am a US Citizen with GlobalEntry
3. I will be checking bags

It's pretty clear how to do it if I were carry-on only, but unfortunately, I'm not enough of a wizard to pack for a 9-day trip in only a carryon bag.

Thanks!
Mike
Old Jan 21, 2015, 6:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How about checking your bags to Toronto, picking them up as normal, going to lunch, work out etc. then retagging, go through US customs etc?

I *believe* there is a left luggage place in T3 (a luggage shop that had a sign on a couple of weeks ago about leaving a case), not sure about T1.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 10:02 am
Original Poster

I'm willing to do that if that's a possibility. Is it possible to just ask the AC agent in London to only tag the bag to YYZ? Never not had my bag tagged to the final destination at origin, and I would think airlines would refuse due to the potential that you might be doing hidden-city ticketing.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've not had an issue on the (very few) times I have done it - if pressed I would tell them the truth - about the layover time, wanting to access your work out kit, washbag etc. or maybe say you want to put liquids in your bags when you get to YYZ (that one they will have heard a number of times I am guessing). The J agents are probably nicer about such things than those who deal with Y!
Old Jan 21, 2015, 10:16 am
Original Poster

I won't actually need anything from the bag, so my preference would be for them to just keep it! I'm even willing to go through US inspection, then Canadian inspection, then US again.

Just can't find any advice on if/how that would be done in T1 and it's certainly not published on AC or YYZ's websites.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You could try calling the lounge at YYZ and asking whether it is possible?
Old Jan 27, 2015, 10:49 am

Programs: AC S100K, SPG, etc., NEXUS, GOES
Aisle G

It's easy. Check your bags through to the US. When you get to YYZ, go through Canadian immigration and customs. At the exit when they ask where your luggage is, tell them you're in transit to the US and your luggage is checked through.

When you get back to YYZ, go to the back of Aisle G where there is an entrance to the trans-border connection area. Proceed as normal, scan ticket, wait for bags, go through US CBP.

This is the same thing you would do if you were arriving from overseas at T3 and leaving via T1 or vice versa. I've done it, works fine.

Last edited by jrlevine; Jan 27, 2015 at 4:27 pm
Old Jan 27, 2015, 1:59 pm
Suspended

Back up plan could be to get your bags precleared by US customs at YYZ, start to walk to the gate then leave. I wonder if they will taser you if you try to leave the gate?
Old Jan 27, 2015, 4:05 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, A3*G, GE
Originally Posted by emma69
I've not had an issue on the (very few) times I have done it - if pressed I would tell them the truth - about the layover time, wanting to access your work out kit, washbag etc. or maybe say you want to put liquids in your bags when you get to YYZ (that one they will have heard a number of times I am guessing). The J agents are probably nicer about such things than those who deal with Y!
I agree with the PP.
I often short-check with AC - it is never a problem. Usually this is on the way to Europe when the luggage would normally get checked through to its final destination. I legitimately meet a friend and have something in the luggage that I have to give to them.

I've also done it in the other direction. Told them I needed the luggage as it had e.g. a bottle of wine (not bought in duty free, so checked luggage is the only option) that I need to access in Canada as it's a present for a friend I am meeting at the airport. (2 bottles of 750ml each are ok when it comes to customs as long as you declare them).
Pick up the luggage and pass Canadian customs. Tell them the truth (you are spending a few hours in YYZ). They are usually pretty easygoing and friendly.

The Goodlife lockers are huge. So yes, a bit of a hastle to have the bag with you but totally doable.

There may be a more elegant way of doing this but the latter would definitely work.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 10:02 pm

Programs: AC S100K, SPG, etc., NEXUS, GOES
Don't do that

Escaping from the trans border area is not recommended. Just do what I said two posts up.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 3:48 pm

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
Originally Posted by jrlevine
It's easy. Check your bags through to the US. When you get to YYZ, go through Canadian immigration and customs. At the exit when they ask where your luggage is, tell them you're in transit to the US and your luggage is checked through.

When you get back to YYZ, go to the back of Aisle G where there is an entrance to the trans-border connection area. Proceed as normal, scan ticket, wait for bags, go through US CBP.

This is the same thing you would do if you were arriving from overseas at T3 and leaving via T1 or vice versa. I've done it, works fine.
This. Not a problem at all.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.