Search

Carnaval - Québec

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2014, 12:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA GLD, AC
Carnaval - Québec

Salut,

So I've just booked a trip to Quebec City for the last couple of days of Carnaval.

Anything I should know about, book in advance, etc.? I've obviously looked at the website, and there seems to be a Saturday night parade and a Sunday brunch going on, plus something called the Derby St-Hubert. My basic plan (such as it is) is to walk around and check out the free stuff, but I'd love to hear from locals whether I'm leaving anything out.

Also, will the tourists pretty much invade the entire city, or will it be limited mostly to the usual places? Basically, can I grab a quiet drink or three at Sacrilege without facing mobs of people visiting from Gaspésie?

Merci et bonne année!
Old Jan 1, 2015, 12:54 pm

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
Quebec City recommendations

Not a local, but from a recent visit I recommend:
- public skating at Place d'Youville (beside the walls of the old city) - or - on the Plains of Abraham;
- Rue St. Jean for walking, colorful shops (esp. Moisan, the oldest grocery store in N. America http://jamoisan.com/en/epicerie/lepicerie/);
- walk down the steps behind the Chateau Frontenac, and stroll the cobblestone streets around Rue. St. Pierre;
- the ferry to Levis for fabulous nighttime view of the city;
- the farmer's market next to the train station.
Old Jan 5, 2015, 11:52 am

Hi there! There's going to be a lot of tourists, but yes, they'll probably be limited to the usual areas - but so will you, if you want to see the action. The parade isn't the biggest you've ever seen but it's quite fun, lots of traditional music and interesting floats. The after party is even more fun, though I think you might need an effigy to get in - it's basically people in snow suits and full winter gear partying in an ice bar, it's mostly locals (most of my friends go every year) and the atmosphere is pretty cool. It's too bad you won't be there for the canoe race, it's one of my favourite events.

Bonhomme's snow palace might be worth a visit, it's like a mini Ice Hotel. Walking amongst the snow sculptures from the international competition is fun as well - people come up with some crazy ideas! You can rent skates at Place d'Youville and if you're lucky, you might skate with Bonhomme, but it's guaranteed to be packed. Otherwise, there's a new skating rink on the Plains of Abraham this year that might be worth a try.

And believe me, it's not the Gaspesian tourists that are the most obnoxious.. it's the Americans No but seriously, you probably know that the Sacrilège is almost always full on Saturday nights, Carnaval or not.

I can recommend other activities and various restaurants off the beaten path, but I think that's pretty much it for the Carnaval itself!
Old Jan 5, 2015, 12:00 pm
Original Poster

Thanks very much for the replies!

I figure Les Plaines and the walled city will be packed, but I just wanted to get a sense of how much the rest of the city is affected. My usual plan in QC is to hit up Au Bonnet d'Ane for dinner my first night, and I wasn't sure if the entire Faubourg would be unusually crowded or something.

I'm obviously looking forward to checking out the festivities! Should be a good time.
Old Jan 5, 2015, 12:57 pm

I don't think it's going to be that packed, and especially not outside the walls. Remember that the event takes place over almost three full weeks, and I think people mostly come for the second weekend, not the third one. I'd definitely make any reservations you might need ahead of time just in case.. not like three weeks in advance, but maybe the day before or morning of.

If you really don't like crowds, I'd take this opportunity to branch out to less traditional spots if you haven't already done so - seriously, even the Old Port and the Petit Champlain have a ton of truly great but affordable restaurants that tourists don't ever seem to get to. Cartier St and St-Joseph St especially have even more to offer - lots of local eateries where I don't think I've ever seen a single tourist, especially for fancy Sunday brunches under $25. Maguire St is very quaint and cozy and also happens to have both my favourite sushi and burgers/fries in the city. I can offer specific names but since you already have some experience I'm trying to avoid telling you stuff you already know. If you'd like more details, ask away!
Old Jan 5, 2015, 1:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sophiagymgall
I can offer specific names but since you already have some experience I'm trying to avoid telling you stuff you already know. If you'd like more details, ask away!
I'd love any recommendations you can see fit to throw my way - thanks very much!
Old Jan 31, 2015, 3:19 pm

Programs: BA Gold,, Marriott Plat
I'm headed there Feb. 5-10 and would also appreciate more recommendations.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.