Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

YYZ Restaurant Rant

YYZ Restaurant Rant

Old Dec 4, 2014, 8:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, Priority Club Gold, Choice Privileges Gold
YYZ Restaurant Rant

Am I the only one that receives consistently poor service at all restaurants at Pearson? I am not a particularly demanding person but it seems as though I am tempted to not tip every time I dine there. It just happens at the airport, I rarely have issues dining in Toronto itself.

Some of my highlights:

T1 Transborder Tim Hortons: Cashier starts to take my order and then suddenly just walks away for 10 minutes (without saying a word) and while she unpacks some boxes. Needless to say, the 6 people in line behind me and I were a bit angry upon her return.

T3 Fridays: Server brings me a carafe of coffee with my breakfast and then takes it from my hand WHILE I am pouring myself a cup and puts gives it to another table while I am giving him the ... look?

T1 Transborder Molson Pub: Ignored for 15 minutes upon entry and then Kitchen Staff somehow lose my order and end up taking 40 minutes to make a chicken sandwich.

Can anyone suggest a decent restaurant at this airport? I have almost started looking forward to the inflight food for sale...

Rant Over...
Old Dec 5, 2014, 12:41 am

Programs: AC*Tangerine
I think they have a hard time hiring for airside restaurant jobs. It's hard to find and keep people who can pass the security screening yet will still work for low wages.

The last time I was at Pearson, I ate lunch at the Mill St Brewery restaurant in T1 Dom. It was the server's first day and she was very nervous. I also got food poisoning there - 6 hours later and gastro-intestinal hell broke loose all at once.
Old Dec 5, 2014, 7:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have had good experiences with the Tim Horton's in the international and domestic areas (can't recall transborder). Quick, prices not inflated, you know what you are going to get.

Other than those, yes, I agree - especially the godawful "Irish" pub in the T3 international area - have never had good service in that place, dreadful! The new ipad places just seem like an excuse to cut wait staff down even more - they do not enhance my experience!

In the T1 domestic area, there are a few more 'grab and go' food options these days, there is decent pizza (I have only done the take out version, not the sit down Italian restaurant part), and Thai / Chinese food (Thai Express possibly?) The overpriced soft drinks bug me tho!
Old Dec 6, 2014, 7:56 pm

Programs: AA GLD, AC
The only "restaurant" I patronize regularly is the Tim's in T1 transborder - and I've found it to be fine. Service (such as it is ) no different than if it were downtown or anywhere else in Canada.

I try not to eat much in the airport because there are so many better options in the city.
Old Dec 8, 2014, 9:36 am

Programs: American AAdvantage
At least you have Tim Horton's on your side. While walking through downtown, I noticed a Tim Horton's but I wanted to have a latte at Balzac's. Recalling a Tim Horton's in the secured area when I had a BA connection several years ago, I decided to eat a donut while waiting for my flight.

Although there is one before the transborder secured entrance, I assumed there would also be one in the secured area. To my surprise, the coffee shop is a Starbucks! It is amusing since all the gates after the Starbucks are to U.S. destinations. Passengers who want a Starbucks coffee only had to wait a few hours until their flight arrives at the US airport.
Old Dec 15, 2014, 10:38 am

Programs: AC*E50, AE dBlack, Club Carlson Concierge, NEXUS
Lately, the best place at YYZ for food has been Caplansky's in T3 near B39. Maybe because it's so new, but the service has been plenty fast.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.