Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

canada gas math ?

canada gas math ?

Old Dec 27, 2015, 9:34 pm

Programs: AS
Originally Posted by mkjr
Ding ding ding....we have a winner.

I don't get why those in YVR tolerate getting screwed on gas prices...literally screwed.
I think the gas companies know us LMD people will just suck it up.

As for me, I live quite close to the border so I often fill up across the line. With exchange it works out to close to $1/l at the moment. I also fuel up with premium gas, where in the USA the difference in price between 87 and 91/92 is minimal. In Canada, I could be paying upwards of 1.50ish/l. No thanks!
Old Aug 5, 2016, 2:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: Amex-gold, Hainan-gold, Mrt-LT Titanium
So in 2017, many say gas will be closer to $30 vs $50.

What will that translate to CA gas prices ?, & also if $30 a barrel , the CAD $ exchange rate ?
Old Aug 5, 2016, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Let's not forget refiner margins. Need more refineries (Alberta should build a few).

There's also transportation costs? Kamloops seem to tap into the gasoline pipeline so fuel prices are lower there for the B.C. southern interior.

One could always buy a Volt but who knows how much in hydro bills one will have to pay.
Old Aug 5, 2016, 8:51 pm

Programs: AC E75 / Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by Jiatong

What will that translate to CA gas prices ?, & also if $30 a barrel , the CAD $ exchange rate ?
Probably 5% lower than they are right now, but not a lot of difference. Prices are inconsistent by province and region as a result of many factors, so always hard to say how prices are affected in any given area. I've noticed in the recent cycles here in Ottawa that prices tend to be around 1.00-1.10/liter when oil is $45-50 and closer to $0.90-1.00/liter when $35-40.

Gasoline prices are not completely correlated to the price of crude of course.
Old Aug 7, 2016, 6:25 am

Programs: Fairmont, Amex MR, Marriott

The price of gas is related to the price of oil, but there are many factors.

Where I live, the price of gas is currently just under $1 (Can) per litre at the pumps. Of this, about 36 - 37 cents is tax.

Also, the cost of transportation, refining, etc are pretty consistent, regardless of the cost of oil.
Old Aug 8, 2016, 6:26 am

Gas prices also vary significantly with provincial taxes. Quebec being higher than surrounding provinces.
Old Aug 8, 2016, 8:46 pm
Suspended

Ok, In Toronto now and gas is 1.11 per L CA, thus with US $ exchange rate of .88 the US per gallon price is just under $4.00 a gallon US. Is my math about right ?. If so, gas is about a dollar lower than last summer !.
Gas is more expensive in BC
Old Apr 12, 2017, 5:48 am
Original Poster

Old thread; BUT OMG
Easter bump or summer price hike ?
Gas in Toronto now 1.22 L , that's about $4.50 a gallon . WOW
Old Apr 13, 2017, 7:00 am

Programs: AC-SE100K MM, BA-S HH-D, MB-G LT Sil, IHG-Plt, Nexus, Global Entry
Old thread; BUT OMG
Easter bump or summer price hike ?
Gas in Toronto now 1.22 L , that's about $4.50 a gallon . WOW
Check your math.

CAD 1.22/L x 3.8 L/USG x USD 0.77/CAD = ~USD 3.60 per USG
Old Apr 13, 2017, 5:34 pm
B1

Old math

I once figured that if the C$ = US x 0.75, multiply the per liter price by 3 and that is US $ price per gallon (works for the previous post - check it out). Maybe it's up higher in this old thread that was just bumped. If you are a math whiz, you probably see that if you divide the US$ price by 3, that is the C$ price per liter at the 75 cent C$, which is correct today. I was on a road trip passing through the Tonawanda Seneca nation between Buffalo and Rochester where the price was $2.05 per gallon - so that would be 68 cents C$ per liter. On the way home, I stopped at Jay's Place on the Tuscarora reserve and went back via the nearby Queenston crossing to Canada. Jay was selling at $2.18 and Smokin Joe was $2.28 - Jay does not engage in price fixing because Joe is the one who advertises. Most people stop at those places for cigarettes but I don't mind missing out on that. Jay has a good breakfast place too.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 10:54 am
Original Poster

math update ?

Originally Posted by Seat13F_AC_CRJ
Check your math.

CAD 1.22/L x 3.8 L/USG x USD 0.77/CAD = ~USD 3.60 per USG
Okay, so oil drops below $50 a barrel, down about 10 %.

and Toronto gas is now 1.19/L x 3.8 X .74/CAD = 3.35 $ USG.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 7:37 am

Programs: AC E75 / Marriott Titanium Elite
I can't quickly put my hands on an article I read recently, but I recall reading that higher gas prices are partially linked to the higher demand as the US economy improves, combined with limited refining capacity, which keeps gas prices higher, despite lower crude prices. I'm sure this isn't the only reason, but it does sound plausible as one reason.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.