Wiki Posts
Search

Skiing Banff/Lake Louise

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2014, 11:39 am
Original Poster

Skiing Banff/Lake Louise

Hi,
My friends and I are planning to go to Banff/Lake Louise to ski.

We have several Fairmont free night certs, so we are thinking of staying at Fairmont Banff Springs and/or Fairmont Lake Louise.

As I understand there are 3 skiing areas: Mt Norquay, Sunshine Village, and Lake Louise.

How long does it take to get from either Fairmont to each skiing area? Is it a long drive?

Thanks in advance
Old Nov 9, 2014, 5:06 pm

Programs: I travel for fun these days.
I'm trying to remember and I think Sunshine is ~1/2 hour drive from town.

I know the different hills and most hotels offer shuttle service in the morning for anyone going up.... worth looking at if you'd rather relax and enjoy the scenery.

Not sure if it's worth mentioning: The Banff Springs in an ancient hotel with all the quirks and noisy heating pipes associated with it by-gone glamour. I know two different couples that have stayed there and did not enjoy it. I would really research the two different hotels...

Last edited by DirtyDan; Nov 9, 2014 at 10:05 pm Reason: talk about the Banff Springs
Old Nov 9, 2014, 5:21 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Ua Gold, GE.. Sucker for punishment
Lake Louise is a shuttle ride from Lake Louise Fairmont (never stayed there, at the YHA, we visited and it is a beautiful hotel..).. Lake Louise is a stunning area and the ice skating and mountains are just spectacular!
Old Nov 10, 2014, 2:35 pm

Programs: UA 50K, refugee from AC E50K, Marriott Lifetime Plat
The easiest way to get from hotels to the hills is to take the Brewster Bus. Yes you're tied to a schedule that way, but the schedule is frequent enough that it's easy to deal with and you get picked up / dropped off at convenient locations. If you drive yourself, you may have trouble finding a decent parking space.

The Banff Springs, as noted, is an older property but if you stay on the Gold Floor life will be good. I personally prefer the Banff Springs over the Chateau Lake Louise but that's just my personal taste. I also prefer Banff over Lake Louise in terms of having a village to wander through apres ski. That said, Lake Louise is generally closer to the ski hills so that does make transfer from the Chateau to the hill just that much easier. It's also cool (weather permitting) to take an afternoon at the Chateau to walk across the lake then indulge in the free hot chocolate afterward.
Old Nov 10, 2014, 2:59 pm

The OP might want to check whether the free night certificates are valid for a stay on the Gold Floor...

That said:

1) The Gold Floor at Lake Louise is better than the one at Banff, but if you aren't on the Gold Floor, Banff is probably the better choice. The last time I had a higgly-piggly room there was in 2010; since then, I've always gotten renovated (and valley-view) rooms. Banff also has a much better spa than Lake Louise, if that sort of thing interests you.

2) I don't ski, but I seem to recall the Lake Louise hotel shuttle making numerous runs from the Chateau to the Lake Louise ski hill during the day; and

3) If you want to snowshoe, cross-country ski, or take in some pick-up hockey, Lake Louise is the better option than Banff, in my view.
Old Nov 10, 2014, 7:57 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
IIRC only skied Mt Norquay once, and way back when it was considered a more advanced mountain to ski. The other two are huge and have lots of different type of runs.

Being a budget traveler I'll let others advise you on hotels. Plus when I skied there I always drove in from Calgary.
Old Nov 11, 2014, 3:00 pm
Original Poster

Hi guys,
I really appreciate your responses. It sounds like both Fairmonts have some pros and cons.

I booked my airfare over a long weekend such that I would fly into Calgary around noon on Thursday and I'm flying out of Calgary on following Monday (again around noon).

From standpoint of redeeming Fairmont free night vouchers Lake Louise property has no blackouts, but Banff Springs is blacked out for Fri and Sat nights during my weekend. I don't mind paying cash, but would rather not do that if I can help it.

In terms of skiing, since I'm flying into YYC at noon on Thursday and I assume it takes roughly an hour to get to Banff (btw, what is the best way to get to Banff, bus shuttle/taxi?!), it will be too late to ski that day at Sunshine Village. However, there should be plenty of time to hit Mt Norquay at night.

I've heard from multiple people that Lake Louise area is gorgeous, so I'm thinking of taking a shuttle/taxi to Fairmont Lake Louise super early on Friday morning and ski all day there. Would probably spend 2 nights there.

On Sunday morning, I'm thinking of taking a super early shuttle back to F Banff Springs and ski Sunshine Village/Mt Norquay. It should also be a simple jumping off point to return to YYC on Monday morning.

Am I crazy hopping back and forth between two Fairmonts?

---

What I'm a bit concerned is where to leave skis/how to transport them if I stay at Fairmont Banff Springs. Does hotel provide ski valet? Are buses/shuttles equipped to transport skis?
Old Nov 11, 2014, 3:06 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by BigRedBears
Are buses/shuttles equipped to transport skis?
While we always drove, all the buses in the area were equipped to transport skis - after all, that's why people were taking the buses @:-)
Old Nov 14, 2014, 12:19 pm

A couple points:

YYC Airport to Banff is well over an hour, likely 1.5 hours, maybe two depending on traffic, road conditions and if you are in a bus (slower) vs a car

Going between Banff and Lake Louise hotels shouldn't be too hard, but I would not recommend a taxi, there are very few and will likely cost you an arm and a leg. I would call the hotel and ask them for transportation suggestions. Brewsters or other tour bus providers probably work best.

Lake Louise in my opinion is better than sunshine. Both are similar distance from Banff, Sunshine is closer but parking is a real pain, and you need to take the gondola up to the hill. Lake Louise is further, better parking, and you can walk right up to the hill.

Most hotels will store skis, and have plenty of buses to take to and from the hill, just call ahead and book. Some hotels have a package where you can ski either sunshine or louise and the transportation is arrange with the ticket.
Old Nov 28, 2014, 4:51 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy SE
Sunshine is closer from Banff but as mentioned, parking is terrible. Lake Louise is further out but transportation will be easier.

Either way, you can't go wrong since we're getting massive snowfall right now.
Old Dec 7, 2014, 9:32 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy SE
Alberta is home to some great mountains. So glad I'm within a stone's throw away from all of them!:

http://youtu.be/sbCMzbKjtzk

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.